Is 1 case fan enough? And if so intake or exhaust?

hieberflab

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
Hi all,

Wow, I didn't realise there is a thread dedicated to the Dan case on this forum. I think the title says it all, but of course before we get into it let's talk about what hardwares I want to use:

So i made a post before in the build thread asking for advice on parts to buy, so I took those advice on board and this should be my finalised build list:

Originally I opted for an Intel and Nvidia (being a fanboy ^_^) build but after doing some more research I feel AMD is better for me in terms of price/performance ratio and 1080p 144 FPS gaming experience.

MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming AC ITX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-Am4
GPU: Sapphire 5700 (blower fan)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum
Monitor: still deciding

So any way the motherboard I have chosen have only 1 chassis fan header and I know that the Dan A4 v4.1 can accommodate up to 2 case fans. Since I won't be doing any overclocking, will I get by with only 1 case fan? Should I intake or exhaust? I know that I can use Y splitter to connect 2 fans to a single header but not being able to control the fan speed of the 2 fans individually is something im not really happy with.

Thanks

Jon

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Hi all,

Wow, I didn't realise there is a thread dedicated to the Dan case on this forum. I think the title says it all, but of course before we get into it let's talk about what hardwares I want to use:

So i made a post before in the build thread asking for advice on parts to buy, so I took those advice on board and this should be my finalised build list:

Originally I opted for an Intel and Nvidia (being a fanboy ^_^) build but after doing some more research I feel AMD is better for me in terms of price/performance ratio and 1080p 144 FPS gaming experience.

MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming AC ITX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-Am4
GPU: Sapphire 5700 (blower fan)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum
Monitor: still deciding

So any way the motherboard I have chosen have only 1 chassis fan header and I know that the Dan A4 v4.1 can accommodate up to 2 case fans. Since I won't be doing any overclocking, will I get by with only 1 case fan? Should I intake or exhaust? I know that I can use Y splitter to connect 2 fans to a single header but not being able to control the fan speed of the 2 fans individually is something im not really happy with.

Thanks

Jon
Exhaust would be best.
The A4 is too small to add a smart fan hub.

hieberflab

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
For this config you do not need a case fan, better get a 3D Printed fan duct. You can download the 3D file here: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_faq.html
Thank you so much for your reply. I had a look on your website for the fan duct. At what height does the ram has to be for me to use the high ram fan duct? And also what kind of temp. would i be expecting with just the fan duct and no case fan? Also if I change the gpu from a blower to an open-air like the powercolor 5700 2 fan, will that benefit me?

Groschen

Efficiency Noob
Jul 12, 2019
Regarding the fan duct: I had Intel i7-7700K with TridentZ in my A4-SFX v1 until summer and that one needed the high RAM fan duct. Then I switched to AMD R7 3700X and it seems to me the normal fan duct should be ok. Still using the other one, though. I think the different socket types make the AMD build maybe a mm higher. Oh, and I run my SATA cables between RAM and cooler, so that may be easier with the high RAM duct.

For the graphics card I prefer DHE/blower in the DAN.