Cooling Intel LGA1150 Heatsink Keep-Out Zone 1.0

No permission to download

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
QinX submitted a new resource:

Intel LGA1150 Heatsink Keep-Out Zone - 3D Model of the Intel LGA1150 Heatsink Keep-Out Zone

I took the time to 3D model the Intel LGA115x Heatsink Keep-Out zone according to the dimensions provide by Intel.

What would you use this for?
This is mostly interesting if you are designing you own heatsink or waterblock/Monoblock and want to adhere to the Intel specification to warrant motherboard comparability.

This model doesn't include the Intel LGA115x Socket en ILM models, but in general this shouldn't pose a problem because these are below the height of the CPU IHS.

The CPU IHS...

Read more about this resource...

Reactions: iFreilicht

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Very nice, that can be very useful. Is the round keepout zone actually an important part of the specification? It seems to me like pretty much no heatsink adheres to that part of the spec and no board tries to place tall components in that zone either.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
This specification is I think more geared towards Motherboard manufacturers, so this Keepout zone tells them the following:

If you want to be compatible with the Stock Intel cooler, keep your components out of this area. So the inverse is.,if you want to be 100% sure that your heatsink works with all complaint motherboards stay out of the areas that motherboard manufacturers are allowed to place components in.

It's a double edged sword of course, if a heatsink manufacturers goes into the keep-out space, you can't complain to the motherboard manufacturer and vice versa.

In most cases you can leave out the higher parts that show the Intel Cooler "cutout", it's mostly the area around the socket, that can have capacitors and heatsinks that you can use this as a guideline for.

edit:
Added an animation to the page but here it is for the people that don't go there.

You can see the Silkscreen on the motherboard aligning with the Keep-Out Zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Very useful! It'll be interesting as we get more accurate motherboard models how many of them adhere to the spec.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I'm looking to model the LGA2011-3 tomorrow but at first glance that seems to be very basic, at least I can't find anything besides a simple rectangular keep-out zone.

It looks like they just say don't put anything higher then 7.2mm in a 72.5mm*104mm rectangle and a small part to the side that limits up to 15.25mm high components.

Page 93 PCB Primary Side Keep-out Zone for Heatsink - G26773 Rev 1
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/xeon-e7-v3-thermal-guide.pdf

@Aibohphobia You have an X99 board right? Can you do a visual verification for me?
This looks a lot more crowded, but if everything is below 7.2mm then it should be fine

Found it!
Page 108 I'm going to churn that one out tomorrow!
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/design-guides/core-i7-lga-2011-guide.pdf

Last edited:

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks, I'll have a look at his model, if only verify the Keep-out zone model against. That's some nice stuff he modeled o_O

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah Makirole is unbelievably dedicated to his models, he really goes all out on those. He often renders stuff so damn well it really looks close to reality.