CPU Intel 9000 series T-chips

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Even though you will continue to see people putting the 9900k in SFF cases with limited cooling capabilities this would be the much better CPU.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
You can make out of every 9900K already a REAL 9900T. Just setup "Long Power Duration Limit" to 35W. Why I write REAL because I think also the T CPU will source as much as possible so they will peak out at +100W

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
You can make out of every 9900K already a REAL 9900T. Just setup "Long Power Duration Limit" to 35W. Why I write REAL because I think also the T CPU will source as much as possible so they will peak out at +100W

True but these do have a couple of advantages:

There will hopefully be a price difference between the k and the t, even though we didn’t see it in the 8th gen

Less hassle to go thru for those that want a plug and play scenario without tinkering in the bios, yeah there are a few

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
True but these do have a couple of advantages:

There will hopefully be a price difference between the k and the t, even though we didn’t see it in the 8th gen

Less hassle to go thru for those that want a plug and play scenario without tinkering in the bios, yeah there are a few
No reason to expect much of a price difference - Intel is still suffering a major shortage, after all, and a low-power chip like this requires just as strict binning (if not more) than a high-powered K SKU.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019

No reason to expect much of a price difference - Intel is still suffering a major shortage, after all, and a low-power chip like this requires just as strict binning (if not more) than a high-powered K SKU.

I'm a bit confused. Looking at Ark, the MSRP (or "Recommended Customer Price", as it's labeled on Ark) of the T processors has historically been the same as the comparable no-letter processor (e.g., 8700T and 8700), at least for the past 3 generations (6th - 8th; I didn't look any further). That puts the MSRP of the T processors below the price of the comparable K processor (e.g., 8700T and 8700K). Why wouldn't we expect Intel to follow it's own precedent and price the 9900T lower than the 9900K?

Also, Valantar, do you have a source supporting your statement that T processors are binned higher (genuinely curious; not trying to be confrontational). The equal price of the T processors and no-letter processors would lead me to believe that they are binned the same.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm a bit confused. Looking at Ark, the MSRP (or "Recommended Customer Price", as it's labeled on Ark) of the T processors has historically been the same as the comparable no-letter processor (e.g., 8700T and 8700), at least for the past 3 generations (6th - 8th; I didn't look any further). That puts the MSRP of the T processors below the price of the comparable K processor (e.g., 8700T and 8700K). Why wouldn't we expect Intel to follow it's own precedent and price the 9900T lower than the 9900K?

Also, Valantar, do you have a source supporting your statement that T processors are binned higher (genuinely curious; not trying to be confrontational). The equal price of the T processors and no-letter processors would lead me to believe that they are binned the same.
I don't have a source on hand, but I've read a bunch of reviews and articles over the years pointing to the need for binning for low power to make the high-end versions of T-series chips work out. While these articles rarely if ever really explain or attribute this to a specific source, it makes logical sense - it's harder to maintain a set performance level with strict power limits than it is to push performance when power is less limited.

As for pricing, I probably confused no-letter SKUs for K-series SKUs, you're likely right there. I might also be a bit biased form living in a small country where the tiny market for T-series CPUs generally means they're really expensive. Still, Intel doesn't list retail MSRPs, but only OEM 1000-unit tray prices, which don't necessarily relate that closely to retail prices (both as retail packages often contain more than just the CPU and come with various distributor markups and so on, and as large OEMs generally have a lot more leverage to bring prices down).

Reactions: Donut and loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Nail in the head @Valantar idk about intels suggested msrp but usually the k series command a premium compared to the others at actual retail. When I got my hands on the 8700t though it was between the standard and k and thought it was a bit high.

Reactions: Donut

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
I don't have a source on hand, but I've read a bunch of reviews and articles over the years pointing to the need for binning for low power to make the high-end versions of T-series chips work out. While these articles rarely if ever really explain or attribute this to a specific source, it makes logical sense - it's harder to maintain a set performance level with strict power limits than it is to push performance when power is less limited.

As for pricing, I probably confused no-letter SKUs for K-series SKUs, you're likely right there. I might also be a bit biased form living in a small country where the tiny market for T-series CPUs generally means they're really expensive. Still, Intel doesn't list retail MSRPs, but only OEM 1000-unit tray prices, which don't necessarily relate that closely to retail prices (both as retail packages often contain more than just the CPU and come with various distributor markups and so on, and as large OEMs generally have a lot more leverage to bring prices down).

idk about intels suggested msrp but usually the k series command a premium compared to the others at actual retail. When I got my hands on the 8700t though it was between the standard and k and thought it was a bit high.

I agree that it makes logical sense that they are more highly binned than the no-letter processors. I had only read about the U-processors being binned in this manner, though. I wonder if there's data somewhere comparing the power efficiency of, for example, an 8700T and a similarly tuned 8700 or 8700K (using the 35W long power duration limit mentioned before).

Ah, right...I hadn't really thought about OEM markups and such, and I hadn't looked much into actual retail prices before. It does look like the actual retail prices are inflated quite a bit here as well (I'm also seeing prices between no-letter and K processors). Thanks for clearing up my confusion!