Insight Needed on Shipping Cases

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Alright guys, I'm at my wits end when it comes to shipping my case. Quotes for shipping my case in the US range from around $20 to $60, not awful, but more expensive than necessary. However, as soon as my case crosses a border, the shipping more than quadruples. I am getting quotes for shipping to places in Europe for a minimum of $200. That is beyond outrageous.

A little insight into my case for those who aren't familiar with it. It's made out of four pieces: a main chassis piece in a large "C", back panel/motherboard tray and two side panels. I currently have it manufactured out of 14 gauge cold rolled steel. Weight of the case: 23 pounds. Dimensions: ~14.5in long, 6.5in wide, and ~13in high. I know what you're thinking, "holy crap that case weighs a TON!" and yes it does. That is why I have elected to go with aluminum for final production. This should save me some weight, about 6-7 pounds making the case around 16 pounds. Alright, so how much does that effect shipping?

I have a guy who lives in Belgium who is interested in purchasing the case. The shipping quote for the case made out of cold rolled steel? $286 via FedEx. The price with it made out of aluminum? $258 via FedEx. Ouch.... so there goes all of my potential international customers.

How on earth do I get the cost of shipping down?? A case redesign is out of the question. Yes, I know redesigning it so it could be flat packed would drop shipping prices like a stone but there goes anything special about my case. So, how on earth are order fulfillment places able to ship 25 pound, large packages internationally for $35-$80?

I would go that method using an order fulfillment center if more people were interested in my case. As it sits now, my initial estimate of manufacturing 100 cases total, ever, has been cut at least in half. So, order fulfillment places won't give me the time of day dealing with around 10 cases at a time, plus, the cost of having them freighted from my manufacturer to the order fulfillment location will negate any cost savings.

I'm lost guys.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Have you checked other international shipping companies like UPS or DHL? Do you know whether FedEx ships via air or actual boats? Air shipping can get expensive very fast.
$258 sounds absolutely ridiculous.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Air shipping is expensive compared to boats, but
Another deciding factor is volume, if you ship a lot you get better prices.

It is still a bit weird, if I check our local post office I can ship between 5-10 kg(11-22lbs) for "just" €58,30 or $62 and that is with shipping insurance up to a value €500 per package.

Do you know of any local transport companies that you could contact? they can provide a lot of insight and maybe even a cheap solution for you.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Well I may have had a slight breakthrough. When I checked the quotes for USPS for the original case, I was receiving quotes in the same range as FedEx/UPS/DHL, however, I just did some more quotes using the updated weight and prices have been slashed in half. For the guy in Belgium, shipping via USPS will be $110. $90 something if I pay online. So that is VASTLY better and may end up being the solution. That is VERY close to the range I wanted to hit. Still slightly off but much better.

That will require having some foam corners cut which will add to my cost, but, that will allow me to get the box to around 16in long, 8in wide, and 14in high. Much better I think. I will do some searching and contact some transport companies and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks guys! I mostly just needed to vent last night. This has been the biggest hurdle to overcome and I think I'm nearly there.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It's just expensive and it sucks. Wish it was cheaper. But really I guess shipping a parcel halfway across the world in a matter of weeks is a marvel of technology and logistics.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The guy from Belgium will also need to pay taxes on the case, so it will be about 25% on the product value + shipping. I would try to steer clear from USPS for Belgium as this will get stuck in our national customs for a month or two with the buyer needing to supply proof of purchase (had to do that too many times). If you keep with FedEx or UPS, then he won't be dealing with our horrible customs since FedEx and UPS have their own staff for that, who work a lot faster.

Best would be to have someone, or a service that does this for you, based in Europe dealing with shipping inside Europe. Shipping packages within Europe like yours would probably cost between 5 to 20€ (maybe more for some countries) so if you can get a large crate over to Europe or, you could save everyone (in Europe) a lot of time and money.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That would be a great option to have !

If you want to keep the customization open for European customers and use OC.uk as an intermediate, you could do the shipping in "waves" to minimize your own shipping costs, once a month or every quarter. This would allow customized cases to be shipped along, although I'd suggest using different packaging or atleast very obvious marking ("Custom" spraypainted over a few of the sides) to prohibit them sending out a customized one to someone who ordered a standard setup.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
There's also caseking.co.uk who seem to be a middle-man between the case manufacturer and the consumer store. In germany they also have their own online store at caseking.de. Not sure how their model works exactly, though.

90$ sounds a lot more sane. Still expensive, but way closer to what I'd expect.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Overclockers UK is owned by the same company that owns Caseking, so I don't think it matters if you contact one or the other.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
The guy from Belgium will also need to pay taxes on the case, so it will be about 25% on the product value + shipping. I would try to steer clear from USPS for Belgium as this will get stuck in our national customs for a month or two with the buyer needing to supply proof of purchase (had to do that too many times). If you keep with FedEx or UPS, then he won't be dealing with our horrible customs since FedEx and UPS have their own staff for that, who work a lot faster.

Best would be to have someone, or a service that does this for you, based in Europe dealing with shipping inside Europe. Shipping packages within Europe like yours would probably cost between 5 to 20€ (maybe more for some countries) so if you can get a large crate over to Europe or, you could save everyone (in Europe) a lot of time and money.

I believe I can "get away with" marking the case as a gift so as to avoid import fees. A few people have suggested this to me over on OCN.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ for sure. They actually reached out to me about Project Nova, and they seem interested in working out deals to get interesting cases for distribution in Europe.

I actually really like this idea and I will contact them soon to see if they are interested in purchasing a large batch to sell over there. Appreciate the suggestion!

-Jeffinslaw

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I believe I can "get away with" marking the case as a gift so as to avoid import fees. A few people have suggested this to me over on OCN.
I've rarely had that work and they won't believe that for a case. Maybe something like "review sample" ?

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
It probably won't help, "review sample" is not an option on their forms. There are seemingly 2 categories: Taxed like crazy, or delayed. I hate shipping. If anyone can sort out blimps or teleporting, that would be great!

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Drones are the next best thing, except for intercontinental and international :D

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Drones are the next best thing, except for intercontinental and international :D

You don't have a MQ-1 Predator drone in your backyard for quick and fast retalia... uh I mean package delivery. :D