Idle Wonderings and Maybe a Build Log: A Brickless Wesena ITX4-V3 (Streacom F7C) Build

reasons4reasons

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
So I'm plotting my next build (tentatively with a 8700k and a WX 4100), and I've been thinking about the possibilities that a Meanwell PSU would open up. I've always been interested in Streacom's smaller options, especially the F7C. I don't have a need for more GPU power than a low-profile workstation card would provide, and the Apple-adjacent design is great for a machine that'll mostly be running macOS.

The only "problem" is that the F7C isn't actually all that space-efficient. There's a large dead zone in front of the motherboard that doesn't serve a whole heck of a lot of a purpose, and the area where the heatsink is on the F8C is underutilized. Also, the disk shelf isn't super useful in a M.2 world, and unnecessarily limits the cooling capacity.

With that in mind, I've been thinking of ways to squeeze more power (literally and figuratively) into a F7C. Based on a naive reading of its internal dimensions (234x242x93 mm), there should be an area of around 234x72x93 mm free in front of the motherboard. Counting the bend at the front of the case, that should be enough room to fit a RPS-200-C (103.4x62x40 mm) in there, placing the AC power input in the blank space on the shell by the Kensington lock port. If we're going to throw a AC-DC PSU at the front of the case it'll be useful to have a model without front IO, which is why I'm seeking out the ITX4-V3, which is still available from a few sellers and is more or less a USDM F7C with only a IR port and power switch on the front panel.

The 140 W passive rating on the RPS-200-C strikes me as a little low, though, if only because it'd be nice to be able to not worry about Intel's aspirational power consumption numbers on their high-end non-T SKUs. A RPS-300-C (200 W passive) would solve that problem and would technically fit in there at 130x86.6x43 mm, though I'd have to stand it on its side. However, I'd need to remove the disk shelf to make that work, as there's only 55 mm or so of clearance under it normally. I don't see a reason why that wouldn't work on a structural level, and it'd have the nice side effect of increasing the CPU cooler clearance. I'm hoping that I might be able to fit a Scythe Big Shuriken 3 at 70 mm in there for a little bit of undervolting and possible overclocking.

While I think this is a solid plan so far, I'm still going to take some time to really think this out (and run the idea by you folks, of course). It relies a lot on datasheet dimensions, which, while generally accurate, I don't exactly trust with my life. Also, keeping the disk tray off seems okay, but it'd be ideal to get some confirmation from an actual owner of the case. (On that note, if any F7C owners want to get me the exact distance between an Intel IHS and the top shell of the case I'd be deeply grateful.)

Considering my short attention span and the fact that I also need to do a home server build it's entirely possible that this turns out to be a pipe dream, but I'm excited by it today and wanted to share.