I7-9700k undervolt

LoqueGhostQuestioner

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
For those wondering (i personally figured this out today)
To undervolt you use intels own “intel extreme tuning utility” or for short intel xtu.

For me as of today I secured an UV to -100mV on stock clock speeds in the ghost s1 with a zalman cnps8900 quiet aircooler, I haven’t tested results in game but it seems promising after using the xtu cpu stress test for 10mins at 60 degrees Celsius I know this is a little short for thorough testing but it looks stable.

This is my first build and first UV.

I might also add that using the offset voltage option in the bios of the z390-I motherboard will not allow you to boot windows as it pulls down 0,3V, which is ludicrous.
These were just my 2 cents on UV leave thoughts and questions below

Reactions: CountNoctua

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
I only used xtu on my notebook. Shouldnt it be possible to just set a fixed vcore, VInn and LLC in the bios like with my old 4690k? I dont see the benefit of xtu if you got a normal bios.

Cristian

Cable Smoosher
Jan 12, 2019
To undervolt you use intels own “intel extreme tuning utility” or for short intel xtu.

For me as of today I secured an UV to -100mV on stock clock speeds in the ghost s1 with a zalman cnps8900 quiet aircooler, I haven’t tested results in game but it seems promising after using the xtu cpu stress test for 10mins at 60 degrees Celsius I know this is a little short for thorough testing but it looks stable.

I might also add that using the offset voltage option in the bios of the z390-I motherboard will not allow you to boot windows as it pulls down 0,3V, which is ludicrous.
If you have an z370/z390 chipset MB then set the vcore to manual and find the stable minimum voltage for your CPU at the desired multiplier . For example @4.7 GHz all core boost start with 1.2 V

nefrusy

Case Bender
Dec 12, 2019

This is a bit old, but what kind of watts / TDP do you see being reported by XTU when you put moderate stress on the CPU? For example, running XTU's stress test, or maybe OCCT. I bought an i5-9400F because it was dirt cheap, but I'm wondering if I'll eventually regret it and wish I had gone with the 9700K... not for overclocking, but just for higher clocks and 2 extra cores.