Rumor i7-9700K to have 8 cores and 16 threads

no_one

Jan 25, 2016
A few interesting tidbits I noticed from the supposedly leaked information:
  • The 9700 and 9700T appear to be absent. Locked/low-power chips might be disappearing form the i7 lineup.
  • This is the first mention of the 8700T I've seen. Perhaps it'll launch alongside Coffee Lake-S?
In any case, 2018 is looking quite promising!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'm not too interested in Intel's desktop offerings because the chipset thing is totally FUBAR now (especially considering the rumor that the 8 core wont work on a Z370 board)

I'm more interested AMD vs Intel in the laptop space. Intel throwing 6 core laptop i9 chips is a big deal, i wonder if AMD can respond with a 35W 6 core. It seems the HP Envy w/Ryzen 2500U is running about as power hungry as the 8250U + MX150, so despite the 15w TDP they aren't as efficient as a 8250U by itself.

So seems AMD Ryzen 2 laptop chips with 6 core at 35W, and possibly some improvements on the APU's would help to keep them competitive with Intel in the mobile market. I'd love to see a core M competitor APU as well.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Unless they reduce single threaded performance, or significantly increase power efficiency then an 8 core 9700K is going to put out some considerable heat.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, well, I guess I already have 8 cores, 16 threads on my Ryzen 7 1700X and X370 board..:)

O...normally it should have Ryzen 2 in 7nm arriving at the same date of 9700K (maybe still in 14nm)...

Thus 2018 will be a very interesting year for CPU as Intel has completely failed on 10nm, leaving a space for AMD to strike back hard with 7nm (that seems to work pretty well)..:D

Reactions: Phuncz

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I'm not too interested in Intel's desktop offerings because the chipset thing is totally FUBAR now (especially considering the rumor that the 8 core wont work on a Z370 board)

I'm more interested AMD vs Intel in the laptop space. Intel throwing 6 core laptop i9 chips is a big deal, i wonder if AMD can respond with a 35W 6 core. It seems the HP Envy w/Ryzen 2500U is running about as power hungry as the 8250U + MX150, so despite the 15w TDP they aren't as efficient as a 8250U by itself.
Due to their die design, AMD can't put more than 4 cores on a Zen chip with Vega CUs in the current generation.
They might have 6 core CCXs next generation, though. Have to wait and see.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sure, you are right, for APU, current limit is 4 cores/8 threads for AMD APU.

However, i hope it will be better managed than Ryzen 3, that are really great....I'm pretty sure APU will be faster than Ryzen 3 as they will have a full CCX (and not recycled half CCX)

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
It's kind of hard to say, really. First off Ryzen 3 has SMT disabled, so these first Raven Ridge processors are more akin to the lower-end Ryzen 5s. I'm guessing performance will probably depend on workload. Raven Ridge won't have to deal with Infinity Fabric latency on jobs that cross cores, but it has half the cache of Summit Ridge. We'll have to see what desktop Raven Ridge clockspeeds are like; the mobile ones have lower clocks for heat and power reasons.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
It's kind of hard to say, really. First off Ryzen 3 has SMT disabled, so these first Raven Ridge processors are more akin to the lower-end Ryzen 5s. I'm guessing performance will probably depend on workload. Raven Ridge won't have to deal with Infinity Fabric latency on jobs that cross cores, but it has half the cache of Summit Ridge. We'll have to see what desktop Raven Ridge clockspeeds are like; the mobile ones have lower clocks for heat and power reasons.
Current desktop Ryzen 5 & 3 are just recycled of malfunctionning Ryzen 7.
Ryzen 5 1600 and above are great.
Ryzen 5 1500 is rather OK...but not great
Ryzen 5 1400 is BS due to lower cache
Ryzen 3 are a joke

Best APU will have a fully operational CCX with proper cache so it should work like half a Ryzen 7, without infinite fabric lag...so completely fine and optimised.

Eager to see its behaviour.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Current desktop Ryzen 5 & 3 are just recycled of malfunctionning Ryzen 7.
that is how binning works, yes.
Ryzen 5 1400 is BS due to lower cache
Ryzen 3 are a joke

Best APU will have a fully operational CCX with proper cache so it should work like half a Ryzen 7, without infinite fabric lag...so completely fine and optimised.
Do note that each CCX has 8MB cache (based on the SKUs, it seems to be segmented into a pair of 4MB blocks), so the desktop Raven Ridge is going to have the same amount cache as the 1400, just in one block rather than separated by Infinity Fabric. The mobile processors so far only have 4MB, but that's more or less equivalent to Intel's offerings. Raven Ridge replaces the other CCX with 11 Vega Compute Units and other associated hardware.