CPU i7-6700k vs R7 1800x

One438

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
Is it true that the 6700k is the same performance compared to the 1800x? I find it very surprising

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
For that to be true the numbers you are looking at would have to be heavily Single Core focused.
The 1800x is maybe 10% slower core for core. But it has 4 extra cores, so an application utilizing core 5-8 effectively would perform much better.

One438

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
For that to be true the numbers you are looking at would have to be heavily Single Core focused.
The 1800x is maybe 10% slower core for core. But it has 4 extra cores, so an application utilizing core 5-8 effectively would perform much better.
Ah, that makes sense, especially because the 6700k has a higher clock speed. I got this info off of userbenchmark, are their CPU benchmarks only single core tests?

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
I've looked into what userbenchmark does and it seems like the overall score is pretty much useless to compare CPUs with a vastly different core count. It even says so in the description that the score favours single- over multi-core performance.

Further down all benchmarks are split between SC (single-core), QC (quad-core) and MC (multi-core) results. The quad-core section seems a bit arbitrary, as most applications I know of either scale very well up to 8 cores or already taper off after 2. But it's just the number of cores the 6700k has, so it can shine in that category too.

Reactions: One438