Power Supply I want to transition to SFF for the first time, but...

Tilltech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
There are a lot of problems I encountered in that transition.

I think you might be able to help me more.

I hear that Silverstone will be releasing new SFX PSUs by the end of the year, but I'm not sure if there will ever be a quiet PSU like you can find in the ATX format arena.

Is there another solution?

P.S.
The full silent build would be:
  • Define Nano S (with Silent Wing 3 PWM fans - 1 120mm, 2 140mm, these fans are inaudible at max rotation, so cooling should not be a compromise with silence)
  • NOCTUA NH-D15S
  • SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB
  • Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX
  • AMD RYZEN 7 1700
  • Asus Strix 1080 Ti
  • Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB
  • PSU ??

Last edited:

Tilltech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Asus Strix 1080 Ti silent?? Is this a joke?
Yes, that's the quietest 1080Ti that exists. Maybe MSI Lightning Z will change that when it is released.

Also, you are forgetting that Nano S has sound isolation padding on all sides.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The padding adds mass to the side panel to dampen vibration, but it's not thick enough to significantly reduce higher pitch noises.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yes, that's the quietest 1080Ti that exists. Maybe MSI Lightning Z will change that when it is released.

Think they meant in regards to the shear size of the thing :)

Rysen

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2017

Yes it is one of the quitest 1080ti but it is by no means silent. That is ridiculous. There is plenty of other cards that are actually silent (passive cooled and others) non of them are 1080ti. If you mean compared to other 1080ti I can understand but saying the card is silent is pushing it too far. I don't know what your standard of silence is but I can assure you that while gaming on a 1080ti Strix you can definitely hear the card even in the Nano S. You would need one of those expensive Calyos passively cooled cases to actually run a 1080ti truly silent card.

Last edited:

Nexfb

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 26, 2017
There are a lot of problems I encountered in that transition.

I think you might be able to help me more.

I hear that Silverstone will be releasing new SFX PSUs by the end of the year, but I'm not sure if there will ever be a quiet PSU like you can find in the ATX format arena.

Is there another solution?

P.S.
The full silent build would be:
  • Define Nano S (with Silent Wing 3 PWM fans - 1 120mm, 2 140mm, these fans are inaudible at max rotation, so cooling should not be a compromise with silence)
  • NOCTUA NH-D15S
  • SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB
  • Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX
  • AMD RYZEN 7 1700
  • Asus Strix 1080 Ti
  • Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB
  • PSU ??
Which PSU did you go with in the end and how is the build? It is very similar to what I had in mind. Thanks

Reactions: Biowarejak

Tilltech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Which PSU did you go with in the end and how is the build? It is very similar to what I had in mind. Thanks

PSU - BE QUIET! Straight Power 10 600W CM
Case - Define Mini C, no window
Case fans - BE QUIET! Silent Wings 3 fans, two 140mm front, one 120mm rear
CPU - NOCTUA NH-D15S

With this setup you don't get a quite PC, you get an absolutely SILENT PC. Really amazing.
And there is no compromise in cooling either since all the fans are virtually inaudible at their highest speeds.

Reactions: Biowarejak