ZSMOD

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 5, 2019

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Combined waterblock / radiator?
It would make an okay heatsink as-is, and a doubly-effective block/heatsink (for liquid cooling the CPU with a separate conventional radiator), but IMHO not an effective radiator (if a thermal load is being applied to the liquid, to be cooled by the heatsink).

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
That's cool. I could run heatpipes to the heatsink, and then have those ports for another radiator. Imagine that with a 92mm rad in a Dancase.

The-Alchemist-404

Caliper Novice
May 14, 2019
I had the same idea a couple months ago!! Didnt manage to make a prototype or a coherent model but looked if this can be feasible and how it would perform.

First, a guy at the evga forums managed to make a "waterblock-first-air-cooler later" that ends up looking like if an ekwb block and a dinatron server cpu cooler had a child and he ended up with usable temps running only with air.

Other thing to consider is that unless the heatsink is super efficient it wont help temps while using a custom loop (neither the custom cooler or that chinese cooler that Gamers Nexus tested benefited from running fans at the heatsink once on water)

But im loving the idea that an sff case can be modified to use a external rad without the need to have it pluged in all the time. So im hoping to see some prototypes from you (plz if you do, i want one :) )

Reactions: August

ZSMOD

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
I had the same idea a couple months ago!! Didnt manage to make a prototype or a coherent model but looked if this can be feasible and how it would perform.

First, a guy at the evga forums managed to make a "waterblock-first-air-cooler later" that ends up looking like if an ekwb block and a dinatron server cpu cooler had a child and he ended up with usable temps running only with air.

Other thing to consider is that unless the heatsink is super efficient it wont help temps while using a custom loop (neither the custom cooler or that chinese cooler that Gamers Nexus tested benefited from running fans at the heatsink once on water)

But im loving the idea that an sff case can be modified to use a external rad without the need to have it pluged in all the time. So im hoping to see some prototypes from you (plz if you do, i want one :) )
I am in Dongguan, China, there are some good foundries that can help me achieve my design.