Hunt for the perfect case

Laquel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2018
Hi everybody!

I've done several mATX builds over the past few years and currently my case is the fractal define mini c tg (I know, not SFF at all), but I recently got an ITX board (asus Z370 with 8600k) and now I want to get an ITX case. My smallest build so far was one in the Jonsbo U3 (build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/93JV3C), which I was pretty pleased with and was even featured on PCPP.

So what I'm looking for is a case that is as small as possible but can fit:
-240mm AIO (Kraken X52) (Or a good air cooler because I want to OC my CPU a bit)
-Asus 1070 Strix which will be OC'd too
-One 3.5" drive and at least one 2.5" drive

I'm already looking for a corsair SF600 cause an ATX PSU is just a waste of space.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

LIAN LI PC-Q38
+Cheaper than some of the others here
+Attainable right now from my local PC store
+Looks nice
+Windowed side panel
-Not as small as the others
+/-Not sure how good cooling I can get with it

LOUQE GHOST S1
+Looks very nice
+Very compact
-Very expensive with top hats which I need
-Not available yet (if ever)

NCASE M1
+Looks nice
-Pretty expensive
-Might be pretty cramped

DAN C4-SFX
+Very compact
-Pretty expensive
- Not sure if I can fit everything (1070 Strix, 3.5")

COUGAR QBX
+Very cheap
+Attainable right now from my local PC store
-Very ugly IMHO and not that small either

Oh, and I live in Finland so some cases I have to import from Asia/US might be pretty expensive for me after shipping + VAT. 200€ would still be acceptable for me for a quality case but 300 is a bit too much.

So probably will go with the lian li but if there are any other options please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
My vote goes to the M1 and maybe a Noctua C14s for your cooler since you have the option to change the fan out for perhaps a nicer looking one like a Chromax or something. Oh, and using that would require you to remove the dual 120mm fan mounting bracket.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
My vote goes to the M1 and maybe a Noctua C14s for your cooler since you have the option to change the fan out for perhaps a nicer looking one like a Chromax or something. Oh, and using that would require you to remove the dual 120mm fan mounting bracket.

How dare you sir, those poop fans are BEAUTIFUL.

I'd vote M1 as well, its a good one.

I am holding out for the C4-SFX since I have time on my side.

Reactions: Solo

Laquel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2018

I do like the M1 and it's tiny...
I think I've seen some pics where a kraken x52 has been fitted to the side panel so I could use that too.

I checked that with shipping+vat the case would be 240€ so that's pretty steep. Maybe I could find one used as they are pretty popular.

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
It's a bespoke case produced with labor-intensive processes in relatively small batches. You're gonna pay a premium for it. Telling yourself that it's going to be your last case makes it easier to part with the money.

Laquel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2018
It's a bespoke case produced with labor-intensive processes in relatively small batches. You're gonna pay a premium for it. Telling yourself that it's going to be your last case makes it easier to part with the money.

Yeah, of course I understand where the price comes from. I can tell myself it's the last case but I'd be lying to myself, had 5 cases in the last 3 years :D Maybe I'll just build a second PC if I wanna tinker.

Try used, my Ncase cost me about 80€ used and I sold it for 140€ish

Whoa that's pretty cheap. The ones I've seen used have been closer to 200€

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Pretty much how I justify making a purchase such as a chassis.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
SFFN should start a case-addiction support group. I've only got the one case, but there are several regulars here who I know to have multiples. I won't mention any names.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
There has to be a guy out there with like 12 NIB Sentry's just sitting in his closet.

Laquel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2018
Hmm, streacom just announced the DA2 which might be just what I'm looking for. Hope it's not over 200€ though...

Laquel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2018
Okay, so I ended up getting the lian li because A. It's pretty affordable compared, B. It was in stock at my local PC store, C. I like the way it looks and it's small enough for what it holds.
I even made a review/build on youtube cause I didn't find that many on this case. It's in finnish but I made english subs if you care :)
I had to take out the bottom fans because the rubber bits I jammed there to separate the GPU from the fans probably made the contact on the GPU heatsink bad and it got really hot. Now the temps are very good although I did have to set the GPU to stock clocks. I maybe have to play with the voltage curve and see if I can find the sweetspot for speed/temp. The CPU still overclocks nicely to 4.8GHz at 1.28v without running too hot.

Reactions: Alexander