AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
PRE-ORDER

Heey guys, happy to present our first SFF project: MJOLNIR: The minimalistic – but not boring – PC Case. I'm Alex (founder), let me know if you have any questions / ideas / feedback and I'm sure we'll come up with something amazing together ?

MJOLNIR is milled out of solid blocks of aluminum — resulting in insane build quality and robustness. You'll be able to choose from three high-end anodized finishes — Steel, Dark and Stealth — two side panel options — tempered glass and perforated aluminium — and RGB lighting. MJOLNIR also features a completely removable core that can be used as a standalone test bench, or flipped 180 degrees to invert the layout (i.e. GPU- and CPU-side swap places). The case supports 51mm air coolers and 120mm AIOs.

Size

MJOLNIR is available in three high-end finishes — Steel, Dark and Stealth (brightest to darkest). The cases are first blasted with tiny glass particles (bead blasting) and then anodized, creating an extremely durable & beautiful satin finish.

Finishes

RGB Lighting

MJOLNIR I RGB Edition comes equipped with a bluetooth controlled, programmable lighting setup capable of 16 million colors. In some cases you may be able to hook up the LED strips directly to your motherboard, given that it has at least one 5V RGB header capable of controlling multiple LEDs.

Panels

For top / side panels you can choose to go with either aluminium or tempered glass. If you want good airflow we suggest choosing the aluminium ones, seeing as they are ventilated. However, if you want to show off your epic hardware, tempered glass is a great choice for you. As seen in above pics, air can pass through the 5 mm opening around each glass panel; however, airflow can be further improved by using the included 5 mm standoffs and mounting the glass panels on the outside (adding additional 10 mm between them and the CPU / GPU fans).

Core

MJOLNIR I features a completely removable internal frame for easy hardware installation, cable routing, cleaning and testing. When you're done, simply insert it back into the aluminium enclosure and turn the lock nut (located on the back) 90° counter-clockwise.

Flip Layout

You can reverse layout by simply flipping the internal frame 180° and inserting it back into the aluminium enclosure. This may also increase AIO efficiency since the reservoir will be located above the pump instead of underneath it. To ensure the best cooling performance with the flipped layout we recommend that you mount the bottom dust filter on top instead.

Air Cooling

MJOLNIR I is compatible with 2 x 120 mm fans, one under the PSU and one under the Motherboard. We recommend configuring these fans for intake; effectively cooling off the PSU and VRMs by driving airflow from the bottom of the case out through the top.

Water Cooling

MJOLNIR I is compatible with 1 x 120 mm AIO, we strongly recommend using one if you decide to go with high-TDP CPUs from Intel or AMD. Additionally, you can also use 1 x 120 mm low-profile fan under the Motherboard to cool off the VRMs. It is also possible to set up a custom loop using a pump / block combo.

Compatibility

Case Fans
2 x 120 mm fans
Max height – Under the PSU: 55mm (2.2")
Max height – Under MOBO: 15mm (0.6")
Note: Case fans over 25mm (1.0") in height are only compatible with SFX PSUs

Motherboard
mini-ITX

RAM
Max height: 57mm (2.3")

Power Supply
SFX or SFX-L

Storage Drives
2.5" Standard
Max height: 7mm (0.28") or 15mm (0.6")
Max number: 2 x 7mm (0.28") or 1 x 15mm (0.6")

MJOLNIR I Dimensions, Volume and Weight

Dimensions

354mm (13.9") x 209mm (8.2") x 131mm (5.1")

Volume
9.7 liters

Weight – With Aluminium Panels
3.9 kg

Weight – With Glass Panels
3.0 kg

Special thanks
One of the best decisions that we have ever made was to develop MJOLNIR together with you guys — across the many threads and forums were we have scrutinized & improved every imaginable detail. May Odin guide your hand and Freya bless your path!

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
You are hitting all the right buzzwords, but to be honest at the moment both cases look somewhere between uneconomical and impossible to fabricate.

The Thor seems to have a complex inner structure that would probably require welding in addition to an immensely thick seamless (extruded?) outer shell, not to mention the custom PSU and radiators. This makes me wonder if you have at any point in your design phase at least talked to an engineer about feasibility?
Just because it can be modeled with a few clicks does not mean it can be physically produced just as easily.

So my suggestion to you would probably to get engineering help, fabricate a physical prototype or at least rework the design to be at least reasonable to produce before talking about in which colors the case will be available.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
You are hitting all the right buzzwords, but to be honest at the moment both cases look somewhere between uneconomical and impossible to fabricate.

The Thor seems to have a complex inner structure that would probably require welding in addition to an immensely thick seamless (extruded?) outer shell, not to mention the custom PSU and radiators. This makes me wonder if you have at any point in your design phase at least talked to an engineer about feasibility?
Just because it can be modeled with a few clicks does not mean it can be physically produced just as easily.

So my suggestion to you would probably to get engineering help, fabricate a physical prototype or at least rework the design to be at least reasonable to produce before talking about in which colors the case will be available.

Thank you for the feedback, really appreciate it. These cases will be more expensive to produce than a typically PC chassi, but we still want to do it for the people who want something really special and one of a kind. Chassis for both THOR I and MJOLNIR I will be made using a production method called investment casting (or precision casting), so no welding is necessary fortunately.

The PSU:s for THOR I & THOR I Pro will not be custom, it's standard flex-ATX from FSP Group USA.

We have several engineers working on this project
  • Emil Blomkvist - Royal Technical School - PHD
  • Adam Brinkman - Chalmers University of Technology - Master's degree
  • Johan Larsson Hörkén - Chalmers University of Technology - Master's degree
  • Oscar Öhlin - Luleå Technical School - Master's degree
  • Måns Lögdlund - Linköpings Universitet - Master's degree
  • Rasmus Claesson - Chalmers University of Technology - Bachelor's degree
Additionally we have 2 economists
  • Denize Forsman - Högskolan Väst - Bachelor's degree
  • Alexander Baranov - Gothenburg School of Business, Economics and Law - Master's degree (woho that's me, although I'm far more a tech guy than an economist)

We are working on the prototype right now; our aim is to:
  • 3D print it
  • Use the 3D print to create an investment cast part in actual aluminum
Have a nice weekend and thank you for the feedback,
Alexander

Last edited:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Impressive. The scandinavians are invading!! Is the copper heatsinks included? I have an impression that they're going to be expensive..
Thanks a lot for liking our project :) Yes the heatsinks for THOR I Pro will be included (THOR I - Standard version will rely only on GPU stock cooling while the Pro has the option for water cooling). The cases will be more expensive than an average premium PC Chassi, but we aim to create something very special.

Have a nice weekend,
Alexander

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I mean yes it looks nice but it sounds like its going to be too rich for my blood. Also seems like it might be a PITA to build in. Good luck though, hopefully you'll prove me wrong :)

Reactions: AlexTzone

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Looks great!
Thank you very much, we really appreciate it :)

I mean yes it looks nice but it sounds like its going to be too rich for my blood. Also seems like it might be a PITA to build in. Good luck though, hopefully you'll prove me wrong :)
We are very happy that you like how it looks, because we will be able to produce them cheaper when/if our company gets bigger (economies of scale) and thus offer lower prices to consumers :) Right now, we estimate the price to be in the region of 199-299 USD for the standard MJOLNIR I version and 349 USD for the RGB version.

We think that our internal design will make it rather easy to build in, we will unveil how it looks as soon as the website is ready.

Interesting design, I am looking forward to the prototype and a exploratory video on it.
Thank you very much Phuncz, we'll keep everybody updated on the progress in this thread :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Biowarejak

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Hello another Alexander,

I really like the case. I hope you have a sucsessful campain.

What is that copper heatsink? Is it something custom? Does it include a fan? Who is the manufacturer of it?

Sorry for many questions, but i am curious.:):):)

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hello another Alexander,

I really like the case. I hope you have a sucsessful campain.

What is that copper heatsink? Is it something custom? Does it include a fan? Who is the manufacturer of it?

Sorry for many questions, but i am curious.:):):)
Thank you very much Aleksandar :) The copper heatsinks are part of THOR I (eGPU) and are not part of the MJOLNIR I project.

No problem at all, we'll gladly answer!

With so many 5050RGB LED strips out there we need to find something premium for THOR I / MJOLNIR I. Any suggestions? :)

Alexander

Last edited by a moderator:

drunker

Trash Compacter
Apr 25, 2017
With so many 5050RGB LED strips out there we need to find something premium for THOR I / MJOLNIR I. Any suggestions? :)

Alexander
Whether a RBG strips is premium or not, there is just not much different between them. They are just a series of led light bulbs chain together. I am assuming you want to look premium. This means that the RGB lighting need to spread out evenly. Lighting strips alone is not going to do that. You need to put something like rough surface aqualic on top of the RGB strips to allow the light particle diffuse evenly. In terms of RGB strip itself, you just need to find something that's reliable, won't degrade at different rate individually over time and sync properly.

These are just my suggestions and I am very excited to see the finish product. Good luck!!

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Whether a RBG strips is premium or not, there is just not much different between them. They are just a series of led light bulbs chain together. I am assuming you want to look premium. This means that the RGB lighting need to spread out evenly. Lighting strips alone is not going to do that. You need to put something like rough surface aqualic on top of the RGB strips to allow the light particle diffuse evenly. In terms of RGB strip itself, you just need to find something that's reliable, won't degrade at different rate individually over time and sync properly.

These are just my suggestions and I am very excited to see the finish product. Good luck!!
What an amazing answer, thank you very much! With that guidance we’re sure that we’ll find great lighting products for MJOLNIR I (and THOR I)

Best regards,
Alexander

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
The Thor looks incredible! It's such a simple but elegant design to use the chassis as one big heatsink and then have fans mounted around it. The watercooled design looks insane and I definitely want to see it in real life. I hope to see the Kickstarter up soon!

Reactions: AlexTzone

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
The Thor looks incredible! It's such a simple but elegant design to use the chassis as one big heatsink and then have fans mounted around it. The watercooled design looks insane and I definitely want to see it in real life. I hope to see the Kickstarter up soon!
Thank you very much for the appreciation and encouraging words, we look forward to make both THOR I and MJOLNIR I a reality :)

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hello everybody!

We are getting ready to start with the first MJOLNIR I prototype and need to get our hands on some C14 snap-in inlets to (very low-profile) angled C13 (not the ones you typically find on Ebay), please see the picture below:

We have found a perfect C14 snap-in inlet, but that low-profile C13 proves to be quite a challenge. Any idéas where we get our hands on those?

We don't want to stall the prototype progress, so we'll 3D print the casing for the angled C13 according to the picture above (as a temporary solution, and only for the prototype).

Alexander

Last edited:
Reactions: ottrr

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hello everybody!

We are getting ready to start with the first MJOLNIR I prototype. We need to get our hands on some C14 snap-in inlets to (very low-profile) angled C13 (not the ones you typically find on Ebay), please see the picture below:

We have found a perfect C14 snap-in inlet, but that low-profile C13 proves to be quite a challenge. Any idéas where we get our hands on those?

We don't want to stall the prototype progress, so we'll 3D print the casing for the angled C13 according to the picture above (as a temporary solution, and only for the prototype).

Alexander

You might try and message @Necere from Ncase, they use the same type of cables for the M1.