HTPC build suggestions? (Case, PSU, CPU cooler?)

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey, it's been a little while!

I'm moving a system into my living room for my roommates and I to use as a HTPC/couch gaming rig.

Currently, the system is just shoved into a janky old MATX case that I don't even have the side panel for anymore--I'd like to migrate to a case that's more attractive since it'll be visible under the TV in our entertainment center. I've got a Fanless 500W PSU in there, but I've lost most of the cables so I haven't been able to hook up a SATA drive to it for a while now.

The main case feature I'm looking for is 'silence' or noise dampening/cancellation. Good airflow with filtered intakes would be a plus, but I can probably tune the hardware down with undervolting if I need to, it's only going to be hooked up to a TV so there's not much use in going over 1080p, 60fps.

The entertainment center's storage is divided into three 'cells' that are about 17" tall by 17" wide and the space is about 14" deep, but the case could be about 16" deep without causing any real problems. The system is on a Mini ITX board and I currently have a Noctua NH-L9i on the CPU. I wouldn't mind switching to a more powerful cooler if it were quieter and more capable of cooling the CPU, but the real motivation would be that the ugly brown Noctua fan is visible. The GPU I would like to use is a Galax GTX 1070 Mini.

I've had a hard time finding cases that "neatly" fit my mini GPU without making it look kind of silly, particularly cases that have windows. I don't mind switching to a Flex or DC-DC PSU, but I would rather not have to worry about an external power brick in this build and I need to power an i7 and a 1070, so it seems like a more standard unit is in order. I like the Sugo series (especially how cheap they are), but they don't seem to have that good of airflow. I also wouldn't mind paying a premium for a nicer looking case than the Sugo.

Besides that, I would like to have front panel USB for my motherboard's USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 headers, and it would be nice to be able to toss some 3.5" drives in there, but it's not a requirement.

Thanks in advance for the help.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Well, it needs to fit into the 17" * 17" * ~14" area of the entertainment center, so that's number 1.

Besides that, I reckon noise and overall aesthetic are tied for second place.

Edit: And window or not doesn't really matter to me.

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2017
qbx, node 202, raven series. once you go smaller it's hard to find a silent case (with sound dampening) since they have perforation on most of the panel.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Get replacement cables from the PSU OEM or get custom cables from a CableMod, Mod-one or Moddiy (probably many others, too).

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
qbx, node 202, raven series. once you go smaller it's hard to find a silent case (with sound dampening) since they have perforation on most of the panel.

Sound dampening is a trap. Focus on good air flow design so less noise is made in the first place is more effective than noise dampening.

The node 202 and RVZ02 suffer from not ventilating enough, especially the GPU side. If something like the Dan A4 SFX had more clearance for the CPU cooler, it'd be one of the most quiet case.