News HP shows the Z2 Mini G9 - a 3.2L SFF Workstation (up to A2000 & i9-12900K)

D

Deleted member 30288

Anyone got an opinion on lack of Xeon and how the GFX stack up compared to the older Quadro RTX3000?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
And maybe if HP will read your Lenovo build log they, can learn how to remove the extra 2.2L

Oh, they did announce something comparable, just with an proprietary RTX 3050Ti (mobile) instead of my modded desktop A2000 :p

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Ca11idus

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
www.heatware.com
I love this so much!!! I want to sell my computer and buy this. I wonder if the RTX A2000 in this system could be shunt modded to pull <80 watts but >70 watts and still be supported by the G9s power delivery system.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This looks seriously impressive, especially using a regular HHHL PCIe GPU. Well done, HP, for actually making an interesting product. And as always it's in the enterprise sector the cool stuff shows up :p

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
From HP, nothing really, they have never made anything of QUALITY. Since the I7 outperformed the I9 in the same case why Make a power-hungry oven in a case like that with crap cooling and no bios control. Dummy down bios like all laptops except Clevo with Prima and high-end MSI with no fan control although the crap fan in it is so loud if sped up is a moot point.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
What does that video say about anything relating to this? Yes, the i9-12900K is a very power hungry cpu, and you can't expect it to run at full power in a case like this, no matter the cooling. That's a given. It does sadly seem that HP did a relatively poor job of tuning the cpu for those power levels, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have tried.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017

Intel® Core™ i7-12700T Processor is more than sufficient and they should have started and stopped with T processors and ended with an I7.​

I am an engineer and I really don't think HP has ever hired a competent engineering staff. This is all about catering to a gamer mentality.

• Haha
Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Intel® Core™ i7-12700T Processor is more than sufficient and they should have started and stopped with T processors and ended with an I7.​

I am an engineer and I really don't think HP has ever hired a competent engineering staff. This is all about catering to a gamer mentality.
Catering to a gamer mentality? With a workstation that is marketed (to the degree that such products are marketed) purely at workstation users? Yeah, sorry, I don't see that.

As for keeping with T series CPUs and/or stopping at the i7 - there are absolutely arguments for both choices. HP clearly had different priorities. Were they the right ones? No idea. It looks like they did a relatively poor job of tuning their i9 boost profiles, seeing how the i7 outperforms it in many cases (which is indicative of the i9 being stuck in boost-throttle cycling). But that could be overcome with some pretty basic BIOS tweaks on HP's end. With proper boost behaviour, the i9 should noticeably beat out the i7 in nT workloads due to its higher core count. Other than that they'd obviously perform the same at any power limit that doesn't let the i9 boost higher than the i7.

As for the locked-down BIOS - this is a prebuilt. That's what you get, no matter the OEM. That's just life. And the overwhelming majority of workstation users don't care whatsoever.

I get that you're of the opinion that this is junk. That's a valid opinion, but one that I find to be ... well, harsh verging on stupid. It's clearly a flawed product, but junk? Nonsense.

Oh, and there are plenty of i5 and i7 SKUs of this, seeing how you're taking such offense at the i9 version.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Turn your head, it is a free trip to the beauty salon giving you a high-wattage blow dryer to cook your head! And HP designed it that way.

• Haha
Reactions: lozza_c