Cooling how to save my NVME SSD from high temp.....

Tommy Vercetti

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I just build my computer 3 months ago, and now it showed a serious problem: high fever on SSD
When I was playing and streaming 3 days ago, the computer frozen for a few seconds then turn to a GSOD,
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED or something else, as same as you pull out your SSD when it is running.
After reboot, the computer boot into the UEFI setting, which indicate SSD is not found.
Then I went bed and had a sleep, on the next morning the SSD was back and works as normal.
After a day of learning, I start streaming again, and this time the same thing happened.
My friend told me it is better to check the SSD temperature, so I downloaded AIDA64 and stressed the whole system
After 15 mins of stressing, the SSD had a temperature of 85 degrees Celcius, CPU has 80.
30 seconds later, the computer started frozen, and the latest figure of SSD temperature I saw is 88.
88, and I do believe this poor SSD already reached 90, which is only 10 degrees lower than the boiling point of water.

I'm using a Silverstone Raven RVZ02 case, Asrock AB350 ITX/ac and AMD Ryzen 5 1600 as CPU with a Noctua NH-L9a cooler.
You may think the cooler may be the core of the problem, but I think the core of the problem is the motherboard,
that SSD is installed almost in the back of CPU.
Now the countermeasure which I'm going to use is to bind a heatsink on the SSD. is that gonna work?

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I just build my computer 3 months ago, and now it showed a serious problem: high fever on SSD
When I was playing and streaming 3 days ago, the computer frozen for a few seconds then turn to a GSOD,
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED or something else, as same as you pull out your SSD when it is running.
After reboot, the computer boot into the UEFI setting, which indicate SSD is not found.
Then I went bed and had a sleep, on the next morning the SSD was back and works as normal.
After a day of learning, I start streaming again, and this time the same thing happened.
My friend told me it is better to check the SSD temperature, so I downloaded AIDA64 and stressed the whole system
After 15 mins of stressing, the SSD had a temperature of 85 degrees Celcius, CPU has 80.
30 seconds later, the computer started frozen, and the latest figure of SSD temperature I saw is 88.
88, and I do believe this poor SSD already reached 90, which is only 10 degrees lower than the boiling point of water.

I'm using a Silverstone Raven RVZ02 case, Asrock AB350 ITX/ac and AMD Ryzen 5 1600 as CPU with a Noctua NH-L9a cooler.
You may think the cooler may be the core of the problem, but I think the core of the problem is the motherboard,
that SSD is installed almost in the back of CPU.
Now the countermeasure which I'm going to use is to bind a heatsink on the SSD. is that gonna work?
That's probably what I will suggest you do. If you get something like this it will probably help a lot:

Reactions: Phuncz

Tommy Vercetti

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
That's probably what I will suggest you do. If you get something like this it will probably help a lot:
I already bought one on amazon, it is on the road.
hope the best that it works.
the only concern I have is that warranty sticker will affect the dissipation of heat to the heaksink?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
In addition to the added heatsink, see if the hot exhaust of your non reference cooling GPU is seeping to the SSD area below. Also, see if you can introduce some (just a little will go a long way) airflow into the SSD area. Even with a heatsink added, if there is zero ventilation, heat will still build up in the SSD over time and throttling and/or system hanging will still come, but at a later time. Added heatsink will only buy you some more time.

Regarding the warranty label, I know Samsung adds a layer of copper in their label so that the sticker actually acts as a heat spreader. In that case, you do not need to peel it off before installing a heatsink. But, unfortunately, WD is using a standard label (without this copper layer, according to kitguru review). I imagine if the sticker is damaged when you peel it off, the warranty goes away. But if you keep the label, it will impede the heat transfer. Perhaps you can try to peel it off very carefully. I read one technique is to use a hair dryer to blow warm air over the SSD to 'soften' the glue underneath first before peeling it off.

Tommy Vercetti

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
In addition to the added heatsink, see if the hot exhaust of your non reference cooling GPU is seeping to the SSD area below. Also, see if you can introduce some (just a little will go a long way) airflow into the SSD area. Even with a heatsink added, if there is zero ventilation, heat will still build up in the SSD over time and throttling and/or system hanging will still come, but at a later time. Added heatsink will only buy you some more time.

Regarding the warranty label, I know Samsung adds a layer of copper in their label so that the sticker actually acts as a heat spreader. In that case, you do not need to peel it off before installing a heatsink. But, unfortunately, WD is using a standard label (without this copper layer, according to kitguru review). I imagine if the sticker is damaged when you peel it off, the warranty goes away. But if you keep the label, it will impede the heat transfer. Perhaps you can try to peel it off very carefully. I read one technique is to use a hair dryer to blow warm air over the SSD to 'soften' the glue underneath first before peeling it off.

thanks for your advise, I'll try introduce some airflow and add a heatsink.
I don't want to void my warranty anyway I can feel that it will die very soon :(

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
thanks for your advise, I'll try introduce some airflow and add a heatsink.
I don't want to void my warranty anyway I can feel that it will die very soon :(
To be honest you don't need to peel that sticker off. I didn't and it works completely fine.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Someone say that sticker was actually functional on the sense that it has copper in it to help dissipate heat.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 25, 2017
Also If you peel off the sticker on for example a samsung, you void your warrenty.