Power Supply How to review a PSU?

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hello guys!

As some of you may know, we recently got the new psu from Enhance.
That is a 600w 80+ Platinum Flex-ATX power supply, with a very reasonable fan noise!

We already made some tests, and in our opinion, this is the absolute best Flex-ATX psu on the market right now.
Supported loads and fan noise are quite impressive for a power supply that has less than 0,5L.

BUT, I don't wan't you guys to believe me, I want to prove it by making a very complete review about it.
Problem is, I've never done a in-depth review of a psu, so here are some questions:

1. How can I test different loads on the unit?
The only way to do it is testing different hardware configs? Or can I just use a op config, and limit different loads by software? Also, is there a way to test different loads without PC hardware? (some kind of equipment to give "fake" loads to the psu)

2. What equipment do you suggest for testing fan noise in decibels? (has to be accurate, but not too expensive).
And, what distance from the psu should I leave it?

3. Any other important feature I should test? Am I missing something beside Loads/Noise?

Any help is appreciated. Here are some pics of the unit:

Cheers :)

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
1. How can I test different loads on the unit?
The only way to do it is testing different hardware configs? Or can I just use a op config, and limit different loads by software? Also, is there a way to test different loads without PC hardware? (some kind of equipment to give "fake" loads to the psu)

You can test in both ways if you have access to controllable loads - but these aren't cheap in any way. Testing with actual components ensures that you use it in the manner it was designed for - including the chances for electronic noise, feedback, varying loads, etc. Proper load testers cost thousands, hence why SFFn doesn't have one.

2. What equipment do you suggest for testing fan noise in decibels? (has to be accurate, but not too expensive).
And, what distance from the psu should I leave it?

Any reputable dB meter will do. As for distance, 1 meter at an angle is preferable - think real world use. Small PC sitting on your desk to the sides of your screen(s).

3. Any other important feature I should test? Am I missing something beside Loads/Noise?
Tear the unit down. People want to know who made the components, how well designed the PCB is, what filtering is present, who made the fan, what level of heatsinking there is, etc.

No in depth load testing here, but give this a quick read to see what level of depth I go into with power supplies; https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/hdplex-ac-dc-160w-300w-powerful-solution

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
@confusis Thanks a lot man, I think you've cleared most of my doubts :)

Tear the unit down. People want to know who made the components, how well designed the PCB is, what filtering is present, who made the fan, what level of heatsinking there is, etc.

The problem is that Enhance only accepted providing us one sample, and this unit is not easily available to buy yet. So, since we may use it on all pics/tests for our project from now on, it may be a bad idea to tear it down...

Based on that, I would like to ask you something: do you have any interest to do a SFFn review about this? Maybe some kind of collaboration with us?
We've been in close contact to Enhance these last weeks, so I'm almost sure I can get you an extra free sample to review.
Also, I think this psu is a very good "sff material": 600w 80+ Platinum in ~0.5L, which gives it a power desity of ~1200w/L (as Silverstone likes to call it haha). Also, it's the most silent Flex-ATX psu we've tested so far...

Anyway, If you don't want to it's fine, we will make a simpler review by ourselves.
Just let me know, cheers ;)

Reactions: Jello and Phuncz

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
I just purchased one of these for a K49 Build, and I must say you were right about how quiet they are! The only downside is the non modular cables, but the 2 X 8pin was perfect for my Vega Nano.

calvinpp

Caliper Novice
Dec 9, 2017
Has anyone tested the Enhance 7140/7145? They have tons of modded modular ones on Taobao..worried the noise will be an issue.

PhiBeR

Cable Smoosher
Dec 30, 2018
Has anyone tested the Enhance 7140/7145? They have tons of modded modular ones on Taobao..worried the noise will be an issue.

Yes, most reviews on taobao said the unit can get noisy. i also ordered the 7660b instead as most reviews said it was quiet and fit for their flagship flex psu status!

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
Yes, most reviews on taobao said the unit can get noisy. i also ordered the 7660b instead as most reviews said it was quiet and fit for their flagship flex psu status!

Mine has been whisper quiet so far, although I am keeping the power draw quite reasonable to keep temps and noise down.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Ah, those non-modular cables! I'm tempted to grab one and cut off the unused connections. ;)

Going for a small built, I'd only need 2xPcie, 24-pin atx, and 8-pin CPU

Wish Geeekstore were still selling these 600w units.

batterybull

Trash Compacter
Jul 28, 2018
How has your experience been with it so far?
I just ordered a fully modular (modded) unit with those silver plated teflon cables!

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Just got mine.