Cooling how people installing so many pwm fans?

Khabib

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Mar 30, 2020
How are people installing so many PWM fans on ITX motherboard? Most of them only have like 2 pins...are we all just using some janky 4 pin splitters?

nkresho

Cable Smoosher
Dec 14, 2019
There are splitters out there that grab power from sata or molex (from your PSU) and only need one motherboard output for the PWM signal. Every motherboard has at least one 4 pin cpu fan header.

No real degradation in PWM granularity with under 10 fans connected.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
How are people installing so many PWM fans on ITX motherboard? Most of them only have like 2 pins...are we all just using some janky 4 pin splitters?
There's not really anything janky about them.

On my ASRock board, the 4 pin fan headers are rated for 1A. A single Noctua F12 PWM fan has a max input current of 0.05A. In theory you could run 20 fans off one header, but I don't really know of an ITX case that uses that many.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
If you buy the standard noctua fans, they come with official Y-splitter so nothing janky about them or any other Y-splitters as well. Most headers supply 1A or even 2A currents so plenty enough to power several fans with multiple Y-splitters.

Khabib

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Mar 30, 2020
thanks all for the reassurance. ill be ordering a 4 pin splitter. i read some reviews and thought they were all janky.

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
Just for another data point, the Celsius S24 AIO comes with a fan splitter header built-in and it is powered from the same single 4-pin fan header connection that also powers the pump. So, there is a common AIO solution that has no qualms with powering 2 fans plus a pump off a single fan header...

Reactions: rfarmer