Hi, I joined a while back and never made an introductory post.

Hi, I joined a while back and never made an introductory post.

Ever since building my first PC in 2012 I've been appalled at how the components of PC desktops just seemed to keep getting larger and louder. That is until about 3 years ago when I found myself in the proper position financially and with the experience and knowledge to finally make some desired hardware changes. I'm a huge gamer and SFF and hardware enthusiast and a bit of a tech hoarder. I'm pretty environmentally conscious - although you would not get that impression by analyzing my rig - and hope one day to have the knowledge to re-engineer or re-purpose older tech and hardware as tech, plastic, and general pollution are hot issues for me. I do prefer high refresh rates and amazing graphical fidelity, who says you cant get both? My current build specs are listed below:

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░█▀█░█▀▀░░░█▀▀░█▀█░█▀▀░█▀▀░█▀▀░░░
░░░█▀▀░█░░░░░▀▀█░█▀▀░█▀▀░█░░░▀▀█░░░
░░░▀░░░▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀░▀░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Gaming SFFPC:
- Fractal Design Define Nano S
- Custom Liquid Cooled Loop
- EK SPC-60 PWM pump
- 2x EK Slim 240 RADs
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB w/ EK water block
- Intel i7 8086k Coffee Lake @ 5ghz w/ EK water block + backplate
- G.Skill Trident DDR4 16GB RAM 4500 MHz
- ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING MOBO
- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe SSD
- Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe SSD

Peripherals:
- ALIENWARE AW2518H 240hz 1080p Monitor
- Valve Index HMD
- 3x Valve 2.0 Lighthouse Tracking Stations
- 2x Vive Pro Wands
- Mamut Apto VR Universal Gun Stock
- CMSTORM Trigger Mechanical Keyboard
- Logitech MX Vertical
- 3x Sony Dualshock 3's
- Corsair VOID Wireless Headset

This rig was built with exceptional single core performance in mind for high refresh rate 1080p gaming. It handles every productivity task and game I can throw at it with ease and honestly until some drastic hardware improvements come about I don't see an upgrade in my future unless it is a migration to a smaller form factor without hardware compromise. I've logged 3,000+ hours of Rocket League alone on this beast and playtime of 300+ current or noteworthy flat world and VR titles. (;

Recently I've been leaning towards a more economical and Eco-friendly ideology and finding ways to reduce my power consumption by removing my OC and perfecting lower voltage utilization w/o sacrificing performance.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! Your focus on economical and eco-friendly builds isn't often mentioned in other builds but certainly attainable.

Reactions: tnuhnivad

tnuhnivad

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
Welcome to the forum ! Your focus on economical and eco-friendly builds isn't often mentioned in other builds but certainly attainable.

Living on your own and becoming financially independent certainly shifted my focus to efficiency/performance! I've even contemplated selling a lot of my performance hardware in favor of switching to ultra low power SBC's. However, I simply have to many Steam purchases and engineering software I use on a regular basis which needs high performance hardware which make me doubtful I'll ever fully commit to that. I have several old laptops and components I wish to do some repurposed builds with! Considering the alternative for such components is taking up space in a landfill old PCB's and componentry are somewhat invaluable to me.

Reactions: Phuncz