Hi, all! Another new face

Hey folks!
I've been a DIY PC builder for over 2 decades now, but I have never attempted an SFF build. I've lurked these and other forums for a few years at this point just idly browsing. I have been considering doing a new build for my mom for about a year now, as her machine that I built about 9 years ago at this point is obviously getting long in the tooth. The original plan was for me to go down to visit her across the States and build the machine there as a surprise. I got a new idea however in turn since Rona showed up - I could finally have an excuse to try an SFF build. I could easily build, test, and verify a build at home and ship it to her without needing to travel. Shipping a full-size build would be a non-starter between weight and overall dimensions.

Right now I am planning on using the Sliger SM550 case, but I have not finalized the components. I will no doubt be soliciting folks' advice on my components of choice. Wanted to give a bit of a background though, since the SFF community seems much tighter knit than the larger enthusiast community.

Cheers

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! You'll find plenty of info for your build here.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Ok... So my first question is, will you be using a GPU? If your mom does basic things such as web browsing, then probably using an APU would be good. In that case (pun not intended), I would recommend an InWin Chopin because it's super small, cheap, widely available, has plenty of space for storage, and includes a 150 watt PSU for you (150 watts is definitely enough for a APU).

If you need a GPU, it depends on how big the GPU is. Make sure that the GPU can fit with the case you choose first before you buy the GPU or case. The Node 202 is a really good option because it's small, cheap, has good temps, and supports big GPUs.

Here is the link to SFF cases and compatibility
The cases that have their names in a blue background are from TaoBao in the spreadsheet, while the others are not.

potatooo

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 24, 2020
Ok... So my first question is, will you be using a GPU? If your mom does basic things such as web browsing, then probably using an APU would be good. In that case (pun not intended), I would recommend an InWin Chopin because it's super small, cheap, widely available, has plenty of space for storage, and includes a 150 watt PSU for you (150 watts is definitely enough for a APU).

If you need a GPU, it depends on how big the GPU is. Make sure that the GPU can fit with the case you choose first before you buy the GPU or case. The Node 202 is a really good option because it's small, cheap, has good temps, and supports big GPUs.

Here is the link to SFF cases and compatibility
The cases that have their names in a blue background are from TaoBao in the spreadsheet, while the others are not.

I've thought of an APU, but as she does game - though at the lowest possible settings right now unfortunately due to the age of her current hardware - I'll want to put in a dedicated card into this build. The reason I was thinking the Sliger / SM550 was for the ability to pick a color. As this is a personalized build, I've been talking to them about doing custom colors which they can do. The 55mm air cooling clearance gives me pause though. Alpenfohn Black Ridge seems like a popular option, but there would still need to be compromises on thermals vs clocks it seems. I'd love to find a CPU chart for performance-per-heat-unit (performance-per-BTU? haha). There's performance-per-watt out there on some sites, but that doesn't tell me how effectively the thing can be cooled with a low-profile cooler

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
For the CPU cooler, a great option would actually be the Cryorig C7. If you're going AMD, the Noctua cooler for you would be the L9a-AM4. If you're going Intel, the Noctua cooler for you will be the l9i. Again, you don't have to choose Noctua, but Noctua makes some good options. Now, for the GPU, you must check compatibility. If a GPU is too big, it won't fit the case. If you're selecting a GPU, make sure you check the dimensions. The max GPU dimension for the SM550 is 305mm x 133mm x 50mm. Most GPUs will fit this case, but some of the newer models won't. So, check the compatibility before buying the GPU. You can ask others for compatibility issues and part choices if you would like.

Reactions: Phuncz