Concept HeroXCaze - >5L Case

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
So, I've been designing a case for a little less than a month. I did try designing a case before. I've gotten a little more experienced now. I'm going to remodel it in SolidWorks soon.

Details:

266.7MM GPU
Flex ATX PSU
Mini ITX Motherboard
Also, I decided to put a MX Compatible switch slot for the power button. It's the little square on the top right of the GPU I/O holes.
18 Gauge Steel

Dimensions (roughly): About 312MM x 277MM x 54MM
Size (roughly): About 4.66 Liters

I did have an older design, but it was a little bigger, so...

This is not meant to be a final design whatsoever. So, the size will fluctuate a little. Give me as much constructive criticism as you want. I'll try to use it and improve the design. Also, if you have any questions, I will try to answer any if possible.

Imgur Link:

Last edited:

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
Give me as much criticism as you want.

*Constructive criticism... Outright criticism is a waste of everyone's time and doesn't achieve anything. As far as layout goes, I think it looks great - the GPU and Mobo layout is already a proven design, so you shouldn't have any inherent problems with that. One thing I would be mindful of is how close the GPU tabs are to the IO cutout. It looks like it is outside of the Keepout area, but from my experience, I found that the IO shield itself stuck at a few mm past that, so you may have a slight conflict with the two, but it looks ok.

Also, for the PSU, I'm assuming you're going to use a flex atx PSU where the connector faces up? I also have a 90 degree C14 cable lying around, it looks like you allocated some space for one. Just let me know and I can ship it your way :).

EDIT: I LOVE THE CHERRY SWITCH IDEA. Only fear I would have is accidentally pushing it against something, especially because there isn't anything to protect it like a vandal/momentary switch, unless it is indented into the case.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
*Constructive criticism... Outright criticism is a waste of everyone's time and doesn't achieve anything. As far as layout goes, I think it looks great - the GPU and Mobo layout is already a proven design, so you shouldn't have any inherent problems with that. One thing I would be mindful of is how close the GPU tabs are to the IO cutout. It looks like it is outside of the Keepout area, but from my experience, I found that the IO shield itself stuck at a few mm past that, so you may have a slight conflict with the two, but it looks ok.

Also, for the PSU, I'm assuming you're going to use a flex atx PSU where the connector faces up? I also have a 90 degree C14 cable lying around, it looks like you allocated some space for one. Just let me know and I can ship it your way :).

EDIT: I LOVE THE CHERRY SWITCH IDEA. Only fear I would have is accidentally pushing it against something, especially because there isn't anything to protect it like a vandal/momentary switch, unless it is indented into the case.
Oh, no I don't need you to give me your cable. Also, the Cherry Switch idea, I was thinking I could put a really, really heavy spring in it. I have a couple of 150G springs, but I may try making one by myself... I could do an optional 3D printed part that makes it super high profile so that you have to click it to hit it.

rpesit7

Caliper Novice
Jun 18, 2017
Will you be using an extension cable for your power cable or will you be placing a cutout on the side for the PSU?

I'm also designing a case with a similar layout and dimensions.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Will you be using an extension cable for your power cable or will you be placing a cutout on the side for the PSU?

I'm also designing a case with a similar layout and dimensions.
I found a C8 Receptacle, and I'm going to splice the cable and solder it onto the C8 Receptacle. It did fit on the back of the case near the flange.

rpesit7

Caliper Novice
Jun 18, 2017
I found a C8 Receptacle, and I'm going to splice the cable and solder it onto the C8 Receptacle. It did fit on the back of the case near the flange.
Is it present on your model? I can't see where it could fit. I assumed "the back of the case" is where your mobo and graphics card I/O cutouts are.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Is it present on your model? I can't see where it could fit. I assumed "the back of the case" is where your mobo and graphics card I/O cutouts are.
I have it updated in my file, not in the pictures. Yeah, but it's next to the GPU flange toward the bottom right.

rpesit7

Caliper Novice
Jun 18, 2017
I have it updated in my file, not in the pictures. Yeah, but it's next to the GPU flange toward the bottom right.

Oh, I see. I have mine there also but I'm using a planned on using a C13 plug. Would it be safe to use a C8 plug? It would save a lot of space.

BTW, will your case support 2.5" drives? Or are you planning on using an M.2 ssd? Also any fan support?

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Oh, I see. I have mine there also but I'm using a planned on using a C13 plug. Would it be safe to use a C8 plug? It would save a lot of space.

BTW, will your case support 2.5" drives? Or are you planning on using an M.2 ssd? Also any fan support?
I am not actually too sure about the plug, so you may have to research that on your own. There's no space for a 2.5 inch drive or fan...

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
as I saw your concept I was thinking: Oh, I've seen something like this before... I toke me a while, but now I remember it:
Jetway JC-111-B

300 x 65 x 273mm a little taller, but in general pretty even. I mean I would replace the front panel for a custom one, but overall I think it a good case.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016

Could you give me a measurement? First, where did you get the cable from? Also, what is the length of the plug when it's plugged in? I mean, from the end of the PSU to the end of the plug part of the cable?

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
It was somewhere on Taobao, I'll try to find it again! It is 13mm from the C14 Plug on the back of the PSU, which in itself is raised about 5-6mm from the back of the PSU.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
It was somewhere on Taobao, I'll try to find it again! It is 13mm from the C14 Plug on the back of the PSU, which in itself is raised about 5-6mm from the back of the PSU.
Okay, thank you very much. I'm trying to figure out all the clearances for the "Caze"

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Small Update:

I changed the thickness of the steel to 1MM, as I found out that it's not recommended to use gauge.
Also, I changed it so that the cover is to be 3D printed while the base is steel to keep integrity.
I updated the dimensions to be more precise.
311.84 x 271.57 x 53.1048
It's a little under 4.5 Liters now.
Now, there's a normal C14 Receptacle in there.

Imgur Link: