HELP! What is wrong with the power delivery system?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I have just finished my first proper SFF build; a custom Xbox Original build, which you can read about here, and also see the end result.

While I mention two minor issues in the thread, there is a major one I want to ask about in a separate thread: POWER DELIVERY ISSUES!

Whenever I try to start the system, it sometimes boots, and sometimes not. At first I thought this was due to overloading the PSU with stuff to run. But it doesn't matter if I run the whole sha-bang, or just the motherboard + CPU + Cooler. It is the same; sometimes it boots, sometimes it just beeps and shuts down.

NOTE: There are two very loose wires in the 24-pin cable (will order a new one), which could be the cause, but if that is the issue, why does it sometimes start up?

Here in the video I demonstrate the issue and re-ask the question.

Components:

- HDPLEX 300W + Dell 330W brick
- AsRock AB350 Mobo
- Ryzen 1500X
- Noctua NH-L9a
- MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP OC
- Seagate 2GB SSHD
- 3x Gelid Silent 6 fans
- 2x USB 2.0
- 2x USB 3.0
- Generic HP DVD ODD (not plugged in, as I have ordered the wrong cables)

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've seen loose wires in the 24 pin cable cause sooooo many issues in the past. Usually an incomplete connection to the pwr_on (or any other pin) pin will cause all manner of inconsistent results. I've even burnt out ATX connectors with flaky wires :/ I'd say wait until that cable is swapped out :)

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Will it start in some rooms/buildings but not others?

I live in Scandinavia. Power delivery in our houses is not the issue. :D But thanks for suggesting it anyways.

Double check the wiring on your power button. Had similar issues to this and realized I wired it wrong.

I have soldered and re-soldered and removed cables and tested them long before assembly. It was the same issue then.

I've seen loose wires in the 24 pin cable cause sooooo many issues in the past. Usually an incomplete connection to the pwr_on (or any other pin) pin will cause all manner of inconsistent results. I've even burnt out ATX connectors with flaky wires :/ I'd say wait until that cable is swapped out :)

I guess so...

I have these two wires that are not properly attached, and I guess they do have a purpose since they are there.:D

So where do I get a new 24-pin cable? I wanna order, because I am not a handy person when it comes to electrical wiring and such stuff, which became very evident when I tried to solder 4 wires. #MeNoElectrician

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
@eutholevonik @confusis @SeñorDonut

So, I now finally got around to try out the build with a fresh 24-pin cable. Same issue. I was in despair.

But wait, there's more; I remembered something about memory modules causing boot issues. And THEN I remembered, that I had changed my memory speed - like a looong time ago while dry-testing the system - and I wondered if that could be the issue. And yeah, taking the memory OC down from 3066 mHz to 2800 mHz seem to have fixed the issue (I first set it to default 2133, and then gradually moved it back up to 2800 mHz).

So my question is; I paid extra money to get 3000 mHz modules. Why can't they run at 3000? BIOS is up to date as well, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Motherboard:
AsRock AB350 mITX Fatal1ty
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB 3000 Mhz CL16

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Sounds to me like you have a shitty DIMM. I would consider running the system on only one DIMM at a time, and try them in both individually in RAM slot 1 and RAM slot 2. If there is one good one and one bad one, I would expect you can OC a single stick if it is the good one, but not when paired with the bad stick nor when running the bad stick in isolation. Furthermore if both DIMMs are fully functional in one slot, but not in the other then you have a motherboard issue. For the record I have had two 3200 MHz G.Skill kits go tits up on me like this in the last eight months.