Memory Help please, with memory timings for VLP-RAM (ADATA PC DDR4 2666MHz)

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
My problem is getting VLP-RAM to run faster than 2666 MHz!! I am a confused-novice when it comes to tuning AMD memory. I tried running (Ryzen DRAM Calculator 1.7.3) and it came up with many-many timing settings that don't exactly pair with my (GIGABYTE B550I AORUS Pro AX) BIOS settings. I tried several configurations. Nothing was faster than 2666 MHz. So now I am back to standard/Auto BIOS settings and I don't know what to try next?
  • GIGABYTE B550I AORUS Pro AX Socket AM4 AMD
  • AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G 6-core, 12-Thread
  • 2x8GB of the purple ADATA PC DDR4 2666MHz VLP-RAM sticks
Below is a picture of the VLP-RAM and some screen clips from OCCT;

Last edited:

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Maybe simpler questions?
  • What speed should I be trying to achieve with ADATA PC DDR4 2666MHz ? Can I achieve 3200 MHz?
  • How many Memory Timing parameters should I be trying to adjust? Just the primary timings or the primary plus advanced timings?

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I tried; tCL=18, tRCDWR=19, tRCDRD=19, tRP=19, tRAS=39, tRC=58, DRAM Voltage1.35V, for a target speed of 3200 MHz. But I still cannot get 3200 MHz. Instead it still seems to be at the stock speed of 2666 MHz (1330.6 x2).

BIOS display of DRAM voltage is confusing. You can see that I changed it to 1.35v. But on the right side of the BIOS screen is a summary-of-sorts and that shows the DRAM voltage at 1.38??

Last edited:

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I will try; tCL=14, tRCDWR=14, tRCDRD=14, tRP=14, tRAS=28, tRC=42, DRAM Voltage1.36V, for a target speed of 3200 MHz

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
That didn't work. It would not boot with those settings.
  • Hmmmm; Do I have to change FCLK=1600? I will have a looksee?
  • I will try DRAMv at 1.35 and also 1.37
  • I will also try DRAM calc with SAFE mode

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
@PVC ,i'm assuming that you're doing all this work, in order to use a BlackRidge cooler, due to height restraints on your case.

might i suggest that a simpler solution would be to use a C7 copper or graphene cooler, combined with a Noctua fan, which is equivalent to a BlackRidge cooler, but then mod the cooler height on your case.

Josh from NFC Systems did this in a YouTube video; he modded his SkyReach's sidepanels, so height was 4mm taller, & then used a C7 cooper, with Noctua fan.

i can link Josh's YouTube video, if its requested.

Last edited:

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I checked and don't have a BIOS setting for FCLK. I looked at DRAM calculator difference between SAFE and FAST and the only difference I see is Misc-Gear-Down-Mode enabled. So I tried that and it would not boot.

I am wondering if this motherboard (GIGABYTE B550I AORUS Pro AX) is too new for the DRAM Calculator? When you use the Motherboard pulldown-selector it does not list B550 (see image below). So I chose the next best motherboard = X570.

I have run out of memory settings to try!!

@Instran0 - Yes, I am using VLP-RAM is because of the low clearance with the Black Ridge cooler and 100mm fan mounted underneath the cooling fins. But it might be best to discuss other cooling options here-on-my-build-advice-thread. If I can't get memory speed higher than stock 2666 MHz I will probably change to a different CPU cooler, but more likely it will be the old standard Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 low profile CPU cooler. I don't want a CPU cooler sticking out the side of my case.

Bubba

Average Stuffer
Nov 4, 2019
smallformfactor.net
I will try; tCL=14, tRCDWR=14, tRCDRD=14, tRP=14, tRAS=28, tRC=42, DRAM Voltage1.36V, for a target speed of 3200 MHz

The ram in the photo appears to be 2666 MHz CL19 at 1.2V
Seems you are attempting the impossible.
smallformfactor.net is not an overclocking forum, especially not for extreme overclocking.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
The ram in the photo appears to be 2666 MHz CL19 at 1.2V
Seems you are attempting the impossible.
smallformfactor.net is not an overclocking forum, especially not for extreme overclocking.
Thanks for that. All that I am trying to accomplish is change from standard height RAM to VLP-RAM in order to fit underneath the low clearance with the Black Ridge cooler and 100mm fan mounted underneath the cooling fins.

Perhaps that is not possible with this specific 2x8GB of the purple ADATA PC DDR4 2666MHz VLP-RAM without sacrificing 3200 MHz DRAM speed?

Last edited:

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I thought that it was over-clockable. Repeating from sentence one of the OP,,, I am a confused-novice when it comes to tuning AMD memory.

Meanwhile, I did a tear-down of this build, and a tear-down of my In-Win Chopin build. Moving the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black CPU cooler along with full-size RAM over to this Build and I will see how that goes.

ETA: I am typing on her computer 😉

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Okay, I have a new build with the tiny Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 CPU cooler along with full-size RAM. Yes, it runs much hotter, Prime95 90c vs 50c with the Black Ridge. But that may be okay. This is an APU build for Photo editing, not a gaming PC.

Tell me something. How do I read DRAM speed? I was expecting to see something akin to 3200 MHz. Instead I see this;

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Hey, so, you'll want to up your frequency at stock timings first. Raise it until unstable at whatever workload you're comfortable with being stable (prime95 small or large ffts etc), raise voltage, raise clocks, repeat.
Once you have your highest attainable frequency, then tighten up your timings.
You're going to have to school up on overclocking in general though. You'll need to understand how voltages, clocks, timings and other settings relate to each other.

Why do you think your ram runs at 3200MHz??
Is there some site or video where you saw your ram running at 3200 MHz??

2666 MHz CL 19 --> 3200 MHZ CL 23
It's JEDEC 2666 so it may well clock higher.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks for that; I was hoping to avoid getting into the details of over-clocking memory. But I guess that's not possible.

I do like the low temps with the Black Ridge so I will tear-down and rebuild again and then see what I can do.

Hey; one benefit of all these tear-downs is I that get to see how effectively my thermal-paste spreading was. Thermal paste the size of a pea has worked best. It spreads out evenly over most of the CPU. Once I tried the size of a large pea and the thermal paste overflowed the sides, Yuk!

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks @Instran0 ; Yes I see that the C7 copper CPU Cooler Height Clearance = 47mm which is the same clearance as the Black Ridge and it would also allow for normal height memory because it is not wide like the Black Ridge.

I will attempt to tune the VLP-RAM first.

JJSEA

Caliper Novice
Dec 30, 2019
Confusingly, the DRAM frequency will be reported as half the memory speed.

If you want to try running at 3200MHz, you need to set the memory speed explicitly to 3200MHz: I think on your motherboard, it's the "System Memory Multiplier" setting that does this. FCLK is often called Infinity Fabric speed

SpecTek is a division of Micron, so you probably want to select Micron B-die rather than Samsung B-die in DRAM Calculator.

It is possible to buy VLP RAM that is rated for 3200MHz.

You will probably find it simpler to first set just the memory speed and voltage, and leave the timings on auto. Once you have that working, go on to adjust the timings.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Okay, I learned a few things. Oh, Gigabyte's XMP Profile1 fixed my standard height RAM to run at 3200. Switching back to VLP-RAM. Thanks, BBL/be back later.