Advice Help noob confirm first build

Moongose83

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 3, 2020
Hey guys, long time laptop user here. My last build is from 2000 or so and I've never build sffpc. I was hoping you guys could give me advice if my build is ok or if there are any problems or better parts. The pc will be used as workstation and sometimes for gaming. Most of my works is done in Adobe ecosystem, Premiere pro mainly.

Please don't mind the prices on the list, I'll be buying locally.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6n4WWb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterAIR G200P 35.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB OC Low Profile Video Card
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG11 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Your build does raise a few questions. First, what are your storage requirements? You don't have any HDD or SSD listed. Typically your'e looking at something like a 500GB NVME for your primary drive, then some SSDs or HDDs for any additional storage depending on your needs.

Your build is a bit strange in that your CPU cooler and your GPU are very compact, but you actually have quite a large case (for SFF). You could probably spend the same or less money on a larger CPU cooler and GPU with the same, or better specs and have a quieter and cooler experience. This case has an 82mm cooler height, so you'd be better off taking full advantage of that with a bigger CPU cooler. You also have absolutely no need for a low profile card in this case. If the GTX 1650 is all you need you can easily fit the largest one you can find. I'd also recommend the small jump to a GTX 1650 Super.

Is the 3700X enough CPU for your kind of work? Also the 16GB RAM? You might want to look at upgrading both if it'll improve your adobe performance depending on exactly what you're doing. I'd especially look at increasing the speed of your RAM to at least 3200 while keeping CL around 16.

If you really want to get into SFF, I'd look at some smaller cases too. If you switch to a SFX power supply you have a lot of options for smaller cases like the NCase M1. You'll still have plenty of room for bigger CPU Coolers and GPUs. You can even get smaller cases and stay with the ATX power supply. The one you picked out is big enough to work with a Micro-ATX motherboard.

Moongose83

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 3, 2020
Your build does raise a few questions. First, what are your storage requirements? You don't have any HDD or SSD listed. Typically your'e looking at something like a 500GB NVME for your primary drive, then some SSDs or HDDs for any additional storage depending on your needs.

Your build is a bit strange in that your CPU cooler and your GPU are very compact, but you actually have quite a large case (for SFF). You could probably spend the same or less money on a larger CPU cooler and GPU with the same, or better specs and have a quieter and cooler experience. This case has an 82mm cooler height, so you'd be better off taking full advantage of that with a bigger CPU cooler. You also have absolutely no need for a low profile card in this case. If the GTX 1650 is all you need you can easily fit the largest one you can find. I'd also recommend the small jump to a GTX 1650 Super.

Is the 3700X enough CPU for your kind of work? Also the 16GB RAM? You might want to look at upgrading both if it'll improve your adobe performance depending on exactly what you're doing. I'd especially look at increasing the speed of your RAM to at least 3200 while keeping CL around 16.

If you really want to get into SFF, I'd look at some smaller cases too. If you switch to a SFX power supply you have a lot of options for smaller cases like the NCase M1. You'll still have plenty of room for bigger CPU Coolers and GPUs. You can even get smaller cases and stay with the ATX power supply. The one you picked out is big enough to work with a Micro-ATX motherboard.
Hi, firstly thank you for looking into my build, I really appreciated it!

I have M2 SSD and SATA SSD from my laptop. So storage is not a problem atm.

For the RAM, I picked the wrong thing in the partpicker, I was actually looking to buy the same RAM but 3200 speed.
For the CPU, I think it'll be ok for now.

Moongose83

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 3, 2020
Ffs, didn't want to send the reply yet and I can't edit.

There isn't many SFF cases available in my country and I can't wait for the PC more than 2weeks as I'm already missing some deadlines so I picked the one available.

MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Ventus XS OC Video Card is the card I found. But I can't find appropriate CPU cooler lower than 96mm. Other than that I posted originally.

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
In that case everything looks great. If you're restricted on parts selection for the case and CPU cooler, there's nothing wrong with what you have. I'm not a fan of the layout of the case, but it should work fine for your needs. I can't figure out what the airflow looks like inside with the power supply sitting over the motherboard.

Based on the Silverstone website, I think the case comes with a 120mm fan. Although the Noctua will probably be an upgrade.

Moongose83

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 3, 2020
Thanks! I switched the cooler to Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 as it's not that pricier and it'll be hopefully somewhat quieter. I'll probably pull the trigger then. Thanks again!