Concept Help assembling the almighty WEAKpc

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Based on the video below, i'm starting my search for parts to be used in the most powerful, sub 50W, "weak PC".

• the most powerful - yet power efficient (15w ~ 25w tops) - embedded CPU;
  • passive GT 1030 (2030?);
  • ITX mobo with DC input and at least PCI-e 1X. That's the ideal option, but i can let it pass if the CPU of a non DC-IN mobo shows to be better, within TDP specs;
  • M.2 storage would be great, but is not a must have;
  • the case must be "just enough". I'm thinking about a Wesena ITX4 or Lone L5, but i'm well open for other suggestions.

My primary use for it would be to reduce my electricity bill. My old big rig features two GTX 970 in SLI and it's getting waaaay over my needs, since i mostly play DotA2 and Plague Inc. nowadays.

That's it. I'll be very glad if anyone can help with links for parts or suggestions to make this tiny little beast happen.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I do have a similar spec'ed rig:
  • Asus Q87T thin mini-ITX (19V DC)
  • Intel core i7-4785T (35W, 25W with iGPU disabled)
  • Tt engine27
  • 16GB DDR3L
  • 500GB mSATA SSD
  • Zotac GT1030 low profile and single slot
  • Dell 90W AC-DC power brick
I'm very pleased with global perf vs power consumption, allowing me to play Path of Exile smoothly.

Make sure to get the GDDR5 version of the 1030.

About thin mini-ITX, some manufacturers have models with opened PCIe-4x slot. This allow you to plug a 16x mechanical card in it without a riser. Just keep in mind that PCIe-4x is limited to 25W, but it ain't no problem with the 1030 and a low power CPU (confirmed by Asus consumer support).

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I do have a similar spec'ed rig:
  • Asus Q87T thin mini-ITX (19V DC)
  • Intel core i7-4785T (35W, 25W with iGPU disabled)
  • Tt engine27
  • 16GB DDR3L
  • 500GB mSATA SSD
  • Zotac GT1030 low profile and single slot
  • Dell 90W AC-DC power brick
I'm very pleased with global perf vs power consumption, allowing me to play Path of Exile smoothly.

Make sure to get the GDDR5 version of the 1030.

About thin mini-ITX, some manufacturers have models with opened PCIe-4x slot. This allow you to plug a 16x mechanical card in it without a riser. Just keep in mind that PCIe-4x is limited to 25W, but it ain't no problem with the 1030 and a low power CPU (confirmed by Asus consumer support).

Very nice to read that not everyone is pointed towards HEDT here in the SFF community.

Your rig seems to be very balanced and overall a great machine. I'd love to have something like this but, where i live, the options are not as elegant as yours. Also, what's your case?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
At the moment, the rig is sitting in my previous rig chassis (mATX Lian-Li).

I had the same approach as yours, overspec'ed PC to only play light gaming in the end (AAA all bored me to death).

I really pay attention to my environmental impact, and sold my old stuff to buy low consumption hardware, including lightbulbs, oven, fridge, washing machine, etc. Reduced my power bill by 40%.

Still didn't find a chassis that I like though and will prolly just build one.

EDIT: Did you consider Ryzen 5 2400G ? Its iGPU is on par with the GT1030.

Last edited:

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
The most powerful single slot LP card is the Aetina M4-P107mDP -- that's a single slot LP 1050 Ti. Last I talked to Aetina, it was 330 USD (owie!) and I have no idea where to buy one except to talk to Aetina directly. There's another 1050 Ti LP https://www.gearbest.com/graphics-video-cards/pp_1261865.html but the output selection is truly disappointing. But hey, it's only 200 USD (still owie) and can be ordered with a s ingle click.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GT-1030-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU/m283726vsm401440 yes, the Ryzen iGPU is on par with the GT1030, the CPU between a i3 8300 and an i5 8400.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Is the 2400GE even available retail? I haven't seen it in the UK and I was told it was for system interrogators only?

I suppose you could under-clock a 2400G but nobody really wants to do that.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
If I can get my hands on this APU, geting a M350 and a reasonable DC-ATX adapter would be the next acceptable choice, but I don't know... I feel "dirty" going for a non-embedded CPU, since it's obviously not the intended idea.

The [APU + ITX Mobo + high frequency memory + a good Pico PSU] goes waaaaaaaay over the cost a good [embedded combo + cheap memory + GT1030] here where I live.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget the Nh-L9a

Last edited:

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Can you get thin ITX 1151 motherboard ?

There are a few thin ITX 1151 motherboards over here, mostly with the h110 chipset.

You're in Brasil, right ?

Yes

What's your budget ?

I'd love to get this build under US$ 600.00. Consider one thing: this value is roughly 2,5 months of national minimum wage. I make around US$ 2.3k per month and this is not my main rig, so stretching this budget is not something i'd like to do.

US$ 1.00 = R$ 4.00

Importing anything implies in 60% importing fees over the combined cost of both product and shipping.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've seen 2400GE's in OEM SFF systems. Sure you can buy a system with one of those and salvage the CPU and other parts you may need but that is probably too much cost and hassle for you.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Can you find T versions of Intel CPU ?

The newer ones are hard to find and 2 times more expensive than the non-T ones, but yeah, they're available here.

What will you be doing with this rig ?

The solo purposes of this rig is to reduce my electricity bill AND be a portable lan-box for when i travel to another state, where most of my friends live.

Possibility of switching to a more power hungry GPU later ?

Probly not. I don't play AAA titles and a GT1030 (or equivalent) would be enough for me, as I mostly play DotA2.

BTW, I'm really impressed this thread get this far. 2019 started at full speed on the SFF train! :)

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I've seen 2400GE's in OEM SFF systems. Sure you can buy a system with one of those and salvage the CPU and other parts you may need but that is probably too much cost and hassle for you.

Looks counter-productive...

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I presently use an Asrock J5005 tdp 15W embedded motherboard in a low power build with a 30W Toshiba charger for my AC has a plug in dcdc z3-atx psu. Use the pcie 1x connector for an m.2 adapter, no gaming(Linux). Have used the Q1900DC, Q2900, J3710, this is fav so far. Probably be good for this use.

Reactions: cleveland