Hello

Hello, I am a new member and so let me give a little intro.

I join because I have very little experience of SFF but I will build a new ITX system (in H2 this year). So, I want to come here (been lurking for a couple weeks already) and gain some knowledge from experienced SFF users here.

Due to my growing desire to simplify and to minimize (the size of the chassis), I want to downsize from the ATX to an mITX format and try out an mITX motherboard system.

The first and only component that I have already bought for this new venture is an open test bench (ie Open Benchtable Mini).
I have been using this open format for the past several years and am quite fond of this approach. First off, there is no need of case fans (to manage in-case airflow) and cooling is nearly optimal. Secondly, I can see all the components in action without any visual obstruction. But most important of all, the whole system occupies the smallest possible volume and footprint on my desk.

Regarding the 2 common problems (ie dust and cats), I have no pet and the room is not particularly dusty. Basically, I use compressed air to blow off any accumulated dust once every 2 or 3 weeks. And a single can of air will last for about 4 months. No bad at all. The whole rig (including the heatsink) is quite clean, visually.

I think my preference for an open test bench actually helps my moving into the mITX territory more easily because this alleviates the necessity of stuffing components into a smaller size chassis. Afterall, this is my first ever mITX.

So, please give your comments and feedback.

And I have a question. I have noticed some mITX cases (eg Dan A4-SFX) using a PCIE riser cable to relocate the video card. How is the quality of this type of cable? Is it able to provide long term reliablity (say, 5 years)? Anyone has a long experience of this type of riser cable?
A friend of mine is also eager to downsize his full tower chassis to a 'much smaller case'. So, if my transfer to an mITX system is successful, I would build him one but in a chassis. So, I am looking for good quality small cases as well.

So much for now. I think I will have to actually ask/discuss hardware in other appropriate forum.

Reactions: Phuncz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Welcome.

The 3M riser included with the DAN A4 is, as I understand it, among the best-performing - and among the most expensive - that are available commercially, and is a significant portion of the case cost (~$75USD, IIRC). Other risers, YMMV. There's a riser thread on the forum if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

Reactions: Phuncz