Hello from Lookout Mountain, Alabama

Greetings All. I‘m her doing research for a build for a Streacom DB4. I’ve built about 6 desktop computers over the years, mostly designed for running AutoCad and 3D software, so components were fairly top end. About five years ago I became fascinated with the SFF platform, and did my first build with a Streacom DA2. That system was pretty sweet, but didn’t quite do it for me with the form factor, so I did another build with a Loque Ghost S1 running an ASUS mini ITX, Intel i7 CPU and a mid line ASUS Dual Mini graphics card. It was a more challenging build with its smaleer space limitations. It’s fan cooled and I consider it successful, running AutoCad and Office Software on it, etc. At the time I was searching for these cases I of course noticed the Streacom DB4, but assumed it was probably not possible to run the components I needed in a passively cooled case. Now I’ve come back around and am gathering info and parts for building a DB4. So I have a question for you all about TDP considerations for Intel processors and Graphics Cards. I don’t see listing of TDP in the specifications for any of the CPU’s I’m considering, and found info on Versus.com regarding CPU Comparison, with TDP’s listed for Intel, AMD and Apple processors. Specifically I find TDP listed for the 4 CPU’s I’m considering as follows:

Intel i3-14100 w. TDP of 60W
Intel i5-12600K w. TDP of 65W
Intel i5-13600K w. TDP of 65W
Intel i7-13700K w. TDP of 65W

As I started this, I made the assumption that the TDP for most current CPU’s would be much higher, even over 100W, but this information contradicts those assumptions. I assumed I would be forced to choose a much slower CPU because of the assumed higher TDP than I‘ve found here, and decided this build would involve compromise on CPU and GPU selection. These findings seem to indicate otherwise, leading me to actually consider using and i7 CPU. The graphics card I’ve selected is a Palit GeForce RTX 3050 KalmX 6GB Fanless Graphics Card. Do you all concur that I’m progressing in the right direction with these components? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! Mind you that the TDP is not represented when most boards have the setting to give the CPU any amount of amps it requests. Multicore Enhancement or what's it called.
Performance per watt, the Ryzen 7800X3D still is the best allrounder: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-9700x-performance-smt-disabled/20.html

Be sure to read up on the terms and rules of the forum. Mainly for buying and selling or other commercial activity on the forum as the access is limited and the rules are strictly enforced.

As a new user you're probably not able to edit posts or links just yet, so if a substantial error was made, click the Report-button in the post.

Hope to see you around, enjoy the wonderful world of SFF !

SFFMunkee

Buy first, justify later?
Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
I'm fairly sure Lookout Mountain is a place in the Transformers Movie..
::EDIT:: Yep:
Welcome to the forum :)

TDP is a messy topic these days, particularly as Intel are concerned, as modern CPUs tend to implement 'boost' power limits for certain periods.
In the case of Ryzen CPUs it's a fairly well known quantity and by default a '65W' chip will boost up to about 88W. Intel tend to flaunt this a bit more. I'm not an expert but remember 65W 11th Gen chips pulling upwards of 150W for short periods.

Either way (regardless of CPU choice) if you're planning to go properly fanless you'll want to set a hard cap on the power draw, and avoid letting it boost too hard. You'll certainly be hard pressed to manage the heat output of modern components without some sort of forced air, and even a small amount makes a big difference.

Source: I spent a lot of time over the last 20-odd years playing with silent or 'fanless' builds, and usually I ended up with semi-fanless ;)