Hello form germany!

Hello everyone,

I'm Felix and new to the forum. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm the CEO and founder of cirrus7 computing. We are specialized in designing and manufacturing passivly cooled SFF PCs. We will start a brand new project soon. And I'm hoping we can get some community feedback here.

Kind regards.

Felix

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm Felix and new to the forum. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm the CEO and founder of cirrus7 computing. We are specialized in designing and manufacturing passivly cooled SFF PCs. We will start a brand new project soon. And I'm hoping we can get some community feedback here.

Kind regards.

Felix

I think a few people here might be very interested. Specifically regarding the IMB 1213. There are a few that want that board.

cirrus7

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Cirrus7
Mar 13, 2019
www.cirrus7.com
I think a few people here might be very interested. Specifically regarding the IMB 1213. There are a few that want that board.

Yes indeed the IMB-1213 is an interesting and very well equipped board. But it has some problems too - for system builders. It "violates" the Thin-ITX standard. The CPU placement is off by a few millimeters. It is strictly speaking not a violation because the CPU placement is not specified in the standard initiated by intel. But until now every mainboard manufacturer has placed the CPU at the same position as Intel originally placed it with the DQ77KB. This was a good decision because the boards did also fit into the akasa cases which were already on the market. Furthermore the IMB-1213 comes at a very high price-point. Even for an industrial mainboard. And with a somehow exotic DC-in socket. There are very few power supply options out there. It is the same plug CLEVO uses with its gaming notebooks. So you get only expensive 230W power bricks. Which is in a lot of use cases overpowered. But it would be certainly easier to power the board through the internal connector for GPU useage or use a more common standard for DC-in. Over all it is a good board. But I don't get why they decided to place the CPU to another position. With the IMB-1215 and IMB-1214 it is even more out of position.

There are changes coming to our nimbus platform soon. We have been experimenting a lot with perforation lately which enhances passive cooling performance greatly. We will soon be able to cool 95W TDP CPUs at a surpisingly SFF.
Problem is there are no Thin-ITX boards which supports 95W TDP CPUs. Even the IMB-1213 is throttling 95W TDP CPUs. On the images you can see the prototype. It is just the main "cooling part" and of course not the final product with anodized cover plates. Please excuse the bad quality of the photos and feel free to comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: dealda and Soul_Est

cirrus7

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Cirrus7
Mar 13, 2019
www.cirrus7.com
But I want to discuss two other projects with the SFF community to get some feedback about the general interest.

1) Project "Incus": passivly cooled SFF case for four different STX mainboards:
- FUJITSU Mainboard D3544-S (Gemini Lake)
- FUJITSU Mainboard D3654-B (Coffee Lake 1151v2) will be launched in April. We have a sample here
- Board that comes with ASRock A300 (Ryzen)
- Board that comes with ASRock H310 (Coffee Lake 1151v2)

in my opinion these are the most interesting boards for STX Form Factor. There is another Ryzen board with soldered V1000 Ryzen from Sapphire, but I'm not sure about that one. The case should be produced in with 3 different cooling levels:
a) 6W gemini Lake (obviously very thin variant)
b) 35W TDP
c) 65W TDP

2) Project "Radiatus": passivly cooled SFF Case for a eGPU connected over Thunderbolt 3. Initially our idea is to support Quadro GPUs to gear it towards CAD users and creators. Two different sized cases with the same design.
- Quadro P620 / P1000 - up to 47W TDP - Lowprofile (obviously also the turing successor of these GPUs)
- Quadro P2000 / P4000 / GTX4000 - Full profile single slot - Initially up to 120W TDP. But GTX4000 is up to 160W TDP which will be challenging but not out of scope.

What do you think about the projects? Which one would you be interested in ?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yes indeed the IMB-1213 is an interesting and very well equipped board. But it has some problems too - for system builders. It "violates" the Thin-ITX standard. The CPU placement is off by a few millimeters. It is strictly speaking not a violation because the CPU placement is not specified in the standard initiated by intel. But until now every mainboard manufacturer has placed the CPU at the same position as Intel originally placed it with the DQ77KB. This was a good decision because the boards did also fit into the akasa cases which were already on the market. Furthermore the IMB-1213 comes at a very high price-point. Even for an industrial mainboard. And with a somehow exotic DC-in socket. There are very few power supply options out there. It is the same plug CLEVO uses with its gaming notebooks. So you get only expensive 230W power bricks. Which is in a lot of use cases overpowered. But it would be certainly easier to power the board through the internal connector for GPU useage or use a more common standard for DC-in. Over all it is a good board. But I don't get why they decided to place the CPU to another position. With the IMB-1215 and IMB-1214 it is even more out of position.

There are changes coming to our nimbus platform soon. We have been experimenting a lot with perforation lately which enhances passive cooling performance greatly. We will soon be able to cool 95W TDP CPUs at a surpisingly SFF.
Problem is there are no Thin-ITX boards which supports 95W TDP CPUs. Even the IMB-1213 is throttling 95W TDP CPUs. On the images you can see the prototype. It is just the main "cooling part" and of course not the final product with anodized cover plates. Please excuse the bad quality of the photos and feel free to comment.

I realize it does have some issues, but is there any chance that you would be willing to sell the 1213 by itself?

We're modders here, and a plug that isn't standard is really no issue.

EDIT: I have one of those Sapphire embedded boards, the FS-FP5V 1605B. They're awesome little boards, 4 DP out.

That STX Case with an A300 STX board in it will be HOT. As you start development, I would create a thread in Custom Cases and Projects, and get community feedback. People will want that thing, especially if it can handle a 2400G.

IMB-1213 !!! Thin-ITX !!! Single slot pro GPU !!! /* GuilleAcoustic died from excitement */

I know, I'm excited too. I just am better able to contain it, obviously. XD

cirrus7

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Cirrus7
Mar 13, 2019
www.cirrus7.com
I realize it does have some issues, but is there any chance that you would be willing to sell the 1213 by itself?

We're modders here, and a plug that isn't standard is really no issue.

That STX Case with an A300 STX board in it will be HOT. As you start development, I would create a thread in Custom Cases and Projects, and get community feedback. People will want that thing, especially if it can handle a 2400G.

I know, I'm excited too. I just am better able to contain it, obviously. XD

Yes. I'm willing to sell it by itself. Where are you located at? Just send me a PM.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
But I want to discuss two other projects with the SFF community to get some feedback about the general interest.

1) Project "Incus": passivly cooled SFF case for four different STX mainboards:
- FUJITSU Mainboard D3544-S (Gemini Lake)
- FUJITSU Mainboard D3654-B (Coffee Lake 1151v2) will be launched in April. We have a sample here
- Board that comes with ASRock A300 (Ryzen)
- Board that comes with ASRock H310 (Coffee Lake 1151v2)

in my opinion these are the most interesting boards for STX Form Factor. There is another Ryzen board with soldered V1000 Ryzen from Sapphire, but I'm not sure about that one. The case should be produced in with 3 different cooling levels:
a) 6W gemini Lake (obviously very thin variant)
b) 35W TDP
c) 65W TDP

2) Project "Radiatus": passivly cooled SFF Case for a eGPU connected over Thunderbolt 3. Initially our idea is to support Quadro GPUs to gear it towards CAD users and creators. Two different sized cases with the same design.
- Quadro P620 / P1000 - up to 47W TDP - Lowprofile (obviously also the turing successor of these GPUs)
- Quadro P2000 / P4000 / GTX4000 - Full profile single slot - Initially up to 120W TDP. But GTX4000 is up to 160W TDP which will be challenging but not out of scope.

What do you think about the projects? Which one would you be interested in ?

I have one of those Sapphire embedded boards, the FS-FP5V 1605B. They're awesome little boards, 4 DP out.

That EGPU thing looks nice, I could use that.

cirrus7

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Cirrus7
Mar 13, 2019
www.cirrus7.com
I have one of those Sapphire embedded boards, the FS-FP5V 1605B. They're awesome little boards, 4 DP out.

That EGPU thing looks nice, I could use that.

The Sapphire board is nice. I have a sample too. But they have a relative high price point. And Sapphire has a MOQ of 100.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Curious to see what the IMB1213 + GPU (would prefer a Quadro P2000, or wx5100) system would look like.

cirrus7

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Cirrus7
Mar 13, 2019
www.cirrus7.com
Curious to see what the IMB1213 + GPU (would prefer a Quadro P2000, or wx5100) system would look like.

Yes there are a few options. Mainly it depends on if or if not taking advantage of a PCIe (flex)riser. I could imagine using no riser and having a build with rectangular running cooling fins. So that CPU and GPU each having its own cooling. Basically having a stack of fins in two directions. At least it would be one possibility.

Reactions: Windfall

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Okay, that is AWESOME.

@GuilleAcoustic READ THAT!

We have also plans for a build with IMB-1213 + GPU. But let me know if you need a board for your own build.

I died twice XD.

That would be a dream come true, but budget is quite not there at the moment, sadly :( ... and I know the price point is high, even for an industrial board (around 300€ when I saw one on an eastern europe site).

cirrus7

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Cirrus7
Mar 13, 2019
www.cirrus7.com
If using a riser one could build CPU(board) and GPU side by side and have shared cooling fins. This was an industrial prototype for machine learning. you can't see the GPU here because the GPU was only for CUDA and not for attaching a monitor. Also note that this was a POC to show that it is possible to cool around 350W TDP passivly. So it is big and it is heavy ;-)

Reactions: Phuncz

cirrus7

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Cirrus7
Mar 13, 2019
www.cirrus7.com
I died twice XD.

That would be a dream come true, but budget is quite not there at the moment, sadly :( ... and I know the price point is high, even for an industrial board (around 300€ when I saw one on an eastern europe site).

Yes it's a crazy price. I could sell it a little better. But it would be still around 250€ + shipping.

Reactions: Windfall