Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There are no plans for a higher wattage AC-DC. I think having 400W in a DC-ATX is more for marketing than anything, actually using it at max capacity will require double AC-DC units or something like an industrial AC-DC unit.

Reactions: Acalanata

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I wish they did a 300w AC-DC + DC-DC in a single package. :v

When can we expect a review? ;D

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I wish they did a 300w AC-DC + DC-DC in a single package.

Maybe, though at that point it starts making more sense to use a standard form factor like SFX.

When can we expect a review?

Not sure, since I'm travelling it's been difficult to coordinate review samples so probably not until June at the earliest.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
What brick is going to do 400w? I know the bricks usually have a little overhead but I don't think the Dell reaches that.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
What brick is going to do 400w? I know the bricks usually have a little overhead but I don't think the Dell reaches that.

Not that I have done any extensive research, but from reading various posts about the G-Unique products, it seems they offer a modified Dell brick that will do 400w...?

Reactions: Jonny727272

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
The G-Unique bricks are 12volts, while the HDPlex system uses 16-24volts. It is possible that @guryhwa might be able to mod a brick to output this though.

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
The G-Unique bricks are 12volts, while the HDPlex system uses 16-24volts. It is possible that @guryhwa might be able to mod a brick to output this though.

i can offer 500-600watts (peak 800watts)18-32V(BTO) modded dell brick

i make a lot of wide input dc-atx dc-sfx dc-tfx ,dc-flex ,narrow type,even 3*12.5 ultra narrow type,from 200watts to 1000watts,but i am definately sure 12V 24pin direct plug system may get 3-6% overall efficiency gain to other wide input type dc-atx.

in my own opinion,the most thing a SFF case diy user should concern is,less heat spreaded in case,less wires route ,no open frame High-voltage circuit.that why i insist on 12Vinput brick ouside the case,and 12Vin direct plug dc unit inside the case.just be cool , neat and safe~

Last edited:

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Is there any explainable reasons for the upcoming replacement?

Look's like some marketing trick to justify price increasement without giving anything in return, since the DC-ATX part depends on the AC-DC unit to effectively suply power to mobo and other components.

Also, the enlargement of the DC-ATX unit is not something we enjoy, since most builds are really "fine tuned" for the dimmensions commonly used in DC-ATX of that wattage range (PicoBox has almost the same size as the HD-Plex 300w).

Besides that, i'm not a declared enemy of progress. What I really, REALLY dislike is the abrupt deprecation of the previous great DC-ATX PSU that most of us use/ plan around.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Dang and I got one of the last HDPlex 300's (before the current out of stock) and it's still sitting new in it's box until my S4 arrives XD
The lower/lack of coil whine would be nice since I'm going the 1080 route.

Any idea on price? I'd likely want to take the plunge for the coil whine alone.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@cleveland

It's only a centimetre longer, and for those interested in a higher wattage application it's now a perfect match for the Meanwell EPP-24-400. The true upside to this unit is that by raising the rated wattage of the unit, it likely will not have coil whine when paired with the HDPlex 300W AC-DC. This alone justifies the additional size and cost for a very large portion of consumers. From my own experience using the KMPKT Dynamo which is rated for 360W at present, it has zero coil whine at up to 200-250W of draw.

Reactions: Biowarejak

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Will this version still be customized for the S4 Mini with regards to screw holes and general fitment?

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Will this version still be customized for the S4 Mini with regards to screw holes and general fitment?
Wondering this as well. I already had some custom cables done for the hdplex right before they went out of stock. If they change the layout ill just go for g-unique

Last edited:

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
same here jst got s4 pre order if this is bigger and cramps the s4 mini, might drop the ball with g-unique. I think the 300w is a sweet spot for mid- hi tier gpu. don't really know how come change the market if there's current interest.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
One of the big ones for me is that HDPlex is a legitimate North American business that holds liability for its products and has all of the requisite certifications to prove their units are safe. While I really admire what Guryhwa is doing and completely agree that 12V is the way DC-DC units should go in the future, I just can't bring myself to have a modified brick in the house with my kids. If you're not going to use on of the G-unique bricks, then the selection of 12V AC-DC bricks is pretty abysmal when compared to the 19V ecosystem. Finally any internal AC-DC options available (read Meanwell EPP series) are not appropriate for the vast majority of consumers due to both complexity of assembly as well as safety concerns.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
That's why it's such a shame nobody makes any proper AC to 12V DC solutions to go with the various 12V DC DC stuff

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
At this point, someone is going to have to take the plunge and directly compete with HDPlex in terms of quality, availability and size or HDPlex is going to need to swap to the lower voltage across their entire line. I don't see either one of these happening in the near future.