Power Supply HDPLEX 300W Internal AC-DC Converter?

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
So I'm starting to piece a build together and have seen HDPLEX offer both 80w and 160w internal AC-DC converters but on their info page (http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-NanoATX-Power-Supply-Combo-Solution.html) it says they will release a 300w version in Q1 of 2017. Well, Q1 is almost over and I still haven't heard any news about it. Does anyone know if it's still on track to be released this month or delayed? And do we have the dimensions of it yet so I can see if it will be a feasible option?

Purgatory

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 13, 2017
So I'm starting to piece a build together and have seen HDPLEX offer both 80w and 160w internal AC-DC converters but on their info page (http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-NanoATX-Power-Supply-Combo-Solution.html) it says they will release a 300w version in Q1 of 2017. Well, Q1 is almost over and I still haven't heard any news about it. Does anyone know if it's still on track to be released this month or delayed? And do we have the dimensions of it yet so I can see if it will be a feasible option?

I am pretty sure that it is already out. I ordered one last week and it said it shipped. Also you can check out the reviews on youtube.com

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I am pretty sure that it is already out. I ordered one last week and it said it shipped. Also you can check out the reviews on youtube.com
The product you mention is a DC-DC. What Jonny727272 is talking about is a pure AC-DC with no need for power brick.

I wonder if Aibohphobia will be reviewing it when it releases. :p

EDIT: Actually all internal AC-DC units from HDplex needs an DC-DC, so it's not a "pure AC-DC" as I might have seem to imply. :p

Spook

Cable Smoosher
Feb 24, 2017
The product you mention is a DC-DC. What Jonny727272 is talking about is a pure AC-DC with no need for power brick.

I wonder if Aibohphobia will be reviewing it when it releases. :p

EDIT: Actually all internal AC-DC units from HDplex needs an DC-DC, so it's not a "pure AC-DC" as I might have seem to imply. :p

If it were a pure AC-DC that would be amazing.

Reactions: cmyk78

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017

Your wall outlet puts out AC (alternating current) but a PC needs DC (direct current). What I'm speaking of is similar to those laptop powerbricks that turn the AC to DC. The video you linked is purely DC to DC (in the form on 24 pin, 8 pin, etc.).

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
What cases would be able to use this though? Seems like the NFC S4 Mini and the Lone Industries L4 would both be too small, or am I wrong?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Jolokia is designed for it. But mainly it exists to open up the possibility for higher-end rigs to use an internal AC-DC rather than being designed for any cases in particular.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey, I'm not familiar with SketchUp. Could I get the projected dimensions of this adapter?

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
I wonder if one of these could be squeezed into an s4 mini. That'd be amazing to have a gaming capable rig that size and no need for an external brick

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I just got the 160W AC-DC adapter in the mail today and it's bigger than I was imagining in my head. @Kmpkt has a build where he fit it inside of an S4 Mini with a low-profile video card but I have a hard time believing someone could contort a larger brick into a case that size with a 'full-size' ITX video card in there, too.

Reactions: BeerNsoup

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The 160W just squeezes in, but the 300W likely won't if the measurements remain what they were last time HDPlex gave us specs.

Reactions: BeerNsoup

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
The 160W just squeezes in, but the 300W likely won't if the measurements remain what they were last time HDPlex gave us specs.

What were those? I did a little bit of looking and couldn't find any. Like I said above, I don't really know how to use SketchUp to utilize the resource posted here.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
They might not have ended up on these boards, I can't remember. The most recent schematic I have has dimensions listed at 144mm long, 62mm wide and 41mm tall. The S4 mini has a listed max internal width of 57mm and a max external bounding width of 63mm.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I'm, like, positive it won't fit in my MC600 based off of that but for some reason I'm still compelling myself to give it a shot... lol

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
So, not to sound too whiney, but the first quarter is over and we still don't have any news about the internal 300w converter. Does anyone know any news about this?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
First four demos have gome out and retail batch I believe is soon to arrive.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
First four demos have gome out and retail batch I believe is soon to arrive.

That's promising. Are the previously mentioned dimensions likely final then? Any indication of price/when it'll be available (I understand if you can't say just yet, but I had to ask!)

Reactions: Jonny727272