Power Supply HDPlex 160W AC-DC News!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that HDPlex is now offering a new and improved version of the HDPlex 160W AC-DC. While the previous iteration was only just able to handle 160W, the new one (possibly due to consistent harassment from a certain someone) is now able to handle the rated 160W very comfortably with peaks in excess of 200W.

What this means is that you can now pair this unit with your choice of the KMPKT Dynamo Mini or HDPlex 160W DC-ATX for a rock solid Nvidia GTX 1060 build with no compromises. Just in time for your brand new Brickless NFC S4M!

Also just so you know, if you plan to do a brickless 1060 build in the NFC S4M, your card cannot be overheight and still use the mounting points on the bottom of the case for the HDPlex 160W AC-DC. If you do have an overheight card, you will need to use tape based mounting on the front of the case, in front of the GPU. You cannot fit the 160W unit in front of the motherboard while using a Pico-style PSU as tolerances are too tight.

For the record, the perfect card for this build is the EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
I'll be picking one of these up at some point, for a mc500-USB3 build.

Quick question: The HDPLEX website doesn't (that I can find) list anything different in regards to the HDPLEX 160W. How will we know if we have the updated version?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The old version has sold out and the new ones are what is in stock so far as I know. The impression I was given is that if you order a 160W AC-DC, the new version is what you can expect. I have two on order and will likely be stress testing them to get a better idea of what they're capable of.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Look forward to seeing how it holds up. So some quick numbers suggest it might just fit in the S4M with the MSI 1060 Aero - 175+40=215 - or maybe that's being optimistic. Super happy I went with the dynamo mini now though as definitely something I might consider!

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
I know this is quite a stretch to ask about, but would exchanging a previous unit for a new one whilst paying for the extra cost sound a little too far-fetched?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You'd need to contact HDPlex about this. After paying shipping to return the unit etc, I have to imagine it might just be easier to buck up the funds for a new one while retiring the old one to doing something less demanding.

chingi5

Caliper Novice
Feb 15, 2017
Sorry for asking in your thread but can anyone share how much time did it take for hdplex products to reach the customers? I've ordered the 160w converter and it got shipped on 10th of January but whenever I go to track the shipment it's still stuck in Guangzhou processing Center since January 19th.
Any info on this?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So apparently they're out of stock already and another shipment is incoming. Currently they are in packaging so should be in warehouse soon.

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Hi Kmpkt,

Brickless build will be something of my interest for S4 Mini Classic, with a single slot LP GT 1030, which leaves the 2nd PCI slot open. It makes sense to pair up Kmpkt Dynamo with HDPlex 160 AC DC.

Having a look at your post, https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-s4-mini-77-orangulan-brickless-s4.812/page-3 , this looks fantastic.

You suggested later in the thread to look for items from digikey, but for red/black wires and the white connector, do you have recommendation? I've been reading that some users didn't have much luck with some wires from digikey, ones that are on the cheaper end, so it would be great to have insight from you.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The connectors are known as ELP and ELR connectors and you can find them here:

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eEL.pdf

The 160W AC-DC unit uses the two position connector while the 300W AC-DC uses the three position connector.

As far as wire goes, I normally just order a silicone sleeved 18 AWG wire for my cabling purposes. You can look around and find more/less flexible wires to meet your demands. If you are worried about quality, I would recommend going to a local electronics distributor near where you live. By doing so you can check the wire in person first so that you know it is to your liking. Cheers,

Craig / KMPKT

Reactions: A415Hz

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Oct 13, 2017
I'm doing some research for an SFF computer case. I will be using an HDPLEX 160W power supply. What is the running temperature of the power supply at "idle" and "game mode"? I'm running an Asus Z370-I MB with an I3-8100 and 1050ti video card. The information will help me determine if I need to plan for additional case fans.

Thanks!

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
With that hardware, case fans shouldn't be necessary.

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Oct 13, 2017
With that hardware, case fans shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks. I’m also sourcing out an external power supply. Found one locally that is 135w and 19V that will work with the 7.4mm x 5 mm DC jack. Are all power supplies the same polarity?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@BryceK

Dynamo Mini or HDPlex DC-ATX 160. They are electrically the same unit with the only real difference being which heatsink design you prefer. Mine also comes with a 4 pin to 4 pin cable in yellow and black to allow you to plug it into the Dynamo 360 should you choose to go to a higher wattage solution at a later date.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 25, 2017
Good to know :) and if I would go with brick?

Which brick would then be a good one? Since you want to be able to get that 200w peak if needed i quess.