HD Audio Header - Buzzing/Interference w/microphone via headsets

makeitbetter

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Sep 5, 2020
I decided to build my first computer in over 20 years - my first computer was a build for early CounterStrike beta days. Any way, now that nostalgia is out of the way, I am very happy with my purchase of the Ncase M1, and would be even more thrilled if I can get this headset's microphone to operate correctly. Note that all equipment is brand new for this build.

Issue: I get audio out of both sides of the headsets, but when using the microphone there is an awful noise for the recipient. When looking at the microphone input via the "Sound" diagnostic in Windows 10, when any headset is plugged in, it register 100%, as in the "gain" is at 100% for the input. When you remove the headset, it goes to 0%. It's like this is wired incorrectly and that is what is causing the issues.

System: 10600k, Asus Strix Z490-I, Patriot 4400mhz memory, Nvidia 2060 Super, Corsair SF750 Platinum, Crucial and WD Blue NVME.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

- Checked to make sure the headphone jack connection was secure, multiple times. It is 100% pressed all the way in and I even removed the front panel.

- Tested with multiple headphone/headsets. Corsair HS60 and Apple Earphones, same result.

- Removed the NVME Drives and ensure that that connection to the motherboard was secure. The HD Audio header is part of this assembly and it can be removed, thus the need to double check.

- Removed the GPU entirely from the chassis and used the Intel integrated graphics (thank god I didn't get the KF) to load windows and tested. Same result as above, so it's not interference from the GPU as reported on earlier models. (However, please note that I have some SERIOUS coil whine coming from the EVGA 2060 Super and thinking about an RMA)

- Removed HD Audio header and reattached, ensuring secure connection, same result as above.

- Installed Dolby Digital and other sound processing alternatives for headset, same result.

- Windows "sees" the headset as a "Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) for both audio out and microphone input

- I installed the HD Audio to the motherboard, double checking that the key aligned with the pin adapter, and they do.

Any thoughts Ncase Team?

Thanks,
Mark

Hixbot

Cable Smoosher
Aug 20, 2019
I'd like to report that I have the exact same issue as the OP.

Headphones work great, but TRRS headset the mic brings in a loud buzzing noise. I've tried re-running the HD-audio cable from the front panel in hopes to avoid any kind of EM interference. I believe the front panel to be defective perhaps it is wired wrong, it sounds as if there is direct voltage contacting the pins for the microphone.

I've tried my motherboard (Arock Z390 Phantom Gamin ITX) in a different case, the HD-audio header works fine with other cases.

Reactions: rickster

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Guys, just stop using front panel audio. Its not defective, its just the way it is, it buzzes in many cases. I'd say 5/8 cases I've owned so far had noisy "HD" audio.

HD audio is just a terrible implementation, I honestly don't get why some SFF cases still implement this rubbish waste of space.

Just remove the cable if possible and use the proper rear panel audio, I know its slightly less convenient, use extensions if you have to.

Hixbot

Cable Smoosher
Aug 20, 2019
No, it's not just noisy like it's getting some small EM interference. It's a fully clipped buzz, like actual voltage on the pins, the kind of thing that may actually fry the codec chip. It's definitely a major defect. I've used many front panel jacks before and sure, some are noisy picking up a hum from the power supply or fan motors. This is not that!

I'm not bringing this up because I want to use the front jack. This isn't a personal issue, ofcourse i'm not in the habit of using the front jack (I've had this case for 1.5 years and today was the first time I've tried it!).

I bring this up because I believe Ncase have manufacturing defect and they really need to investigate this for their own sakes.

Reactions: rickster