Concept Has anyone tried "radwich" style cooling using an AIO and Delta fans?

n4ru

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
What is a radwich you ask?

I'm referring to a 3-layered cooling solution, consisting of (from top to bottom):
- AIO CPU Radiator
- 2x (preferably) Delta fans mounted to the radiator
- GPU w/heatsink (shroud removed)

The idea being that instead of having two sets of fans, one for the CPU and one for the GPU, you can save space and ditch the extra set by having the GPU with its heat sink sitting directly below the radiator fans, and having a single set of fans providing the cooling for both components.

The only stock ITX case that would support such a configuration is an AIO modded Node 202, using a 240mm rad at the bottom of the GPU compartment in lieu of the popular single rad AIO setup, and having the fan set above it with the GPU on top (which faces down with the included riser already).

Since mixed loads that stress both components to their max are very rare outside of specific rendering scenarios, this would let you go from single rad to dual rad and upgrade GPU/CPU overclockability in the process while bringing down temps.

The fans would be controlled by the mobo using something like speedfan to set the curve based on the highest temps between the GPU/CPU. It would be loud, it would be obnoxious, but in theory it should be able to cool the components without issue.

Of course if you were to use a really high end CPU like the i9 series, mixed loads may not be possible, but who is doing maxed out mixed loads on an ITX case outside of benchmarking?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This sounds an interesting and workable idea.
Is it still in theoretical stage or have you already started to put this into practice and have some kind of a working prototype?

n4ru

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
This sounds an interesting and workable idea.
Is it still in theoretical stage or have you already started to put this into practice and have some kind of a working prototype?
It's a thought I had recently that I plan on testing in my next build. Currently waiting on a 1080 TI Mini to arrive, and then I will likely purchase another Node 202 to put it to the test. On smaller cards like the Gigabyte 1080 ITX this could even be done with a 120mm AIO in an even smaller case, but I plan to eventually attempt the shared fan setup with a 7980XE and since the 1080 Ti Mini is longer anyway I'm opting for the dual rads in the 202.