Hardware Choices For Mini ITX Build

JustKitten

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Hello!

I'm new to this community and would like to ask for some opinions on my next computer build.

Background Information:
I definitely would like my build to be in the Mini ITX size/FF. However, what I'm trying to decide is what GPU and CPU to put into it.

GPU Decisions:
The problem is that the smaller size comes with the caveat of only supporting one graphics card (which is what I want, as I'd like the case size to be small). The hope is being able to play in 4K at a constant 60hz in most games. Looking at benchmarks and footage of people using the card I'd think to get a 1080 TI; it seems that 4K at 60hz may not be possible with just one 1080 TI though? I thought about waiting for the 1180 that'd come out sometime this year. Is it worth it? Would the newer architecture support what I want? I also thought about just settling with 2K resolution and buying a less expensive card.

CPU Decisions:
As far as the CPU goes I thought about just going with an i3 8350K. It has 4 cores and I could OC it to make it more snappy. Big bonus is it's reasonably priced. Do I really need hyper-threading or more cores for games? Is there really any games that could make use of the higher core/thread count (core i5 or i7)?

Other Notes:
I also thought about decapping the CPU and adding a better medium to improve thermals. How advantageous would that be for a computer in a smaller form factor? Is it worth it if I'm willing to put in the risk?

I'm new to the PC building scene and would greatly appreciate any opinions or details I've missed.

Thanks!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
4k at 60hz is possible with 1080ti - it just might not be able to handle all the eye candy at that resolution, depending on the game (and your CPU). Antialiasing is especially taxing at that resolution.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think the first decision to make is choosing between a 2K or 4K monitor. This will have a high impact on the choice of GPU.
For 4K, you basically need the top of the line card (ie 1080Ti) to get 60fps. This is the minimum. And, for some games, you need to dial down the graphics settings as well. Nvidia is likely to release the 1170/1180 after this summer. If you can wait, wait. I expect, you will be able to buy better performance with the same money or buy the same performance with less money, usually.

For CPU, I do not think it is a good idea to use a lower end CPU with a higher end GPU. I am not comfortable with a 4C/4T CPU at all. I suggest either a 4C/8T or 6C/6T CPU to ensure it will perform well in the coming several years. Often, for many people, over the course of life of a PC system, the CPU is changed much less often than the GPU.

And since you are a new comer, I do not suggest delidding. Pay attention to this kind of details after you gain more experience, if you are still interested by then.

JustKitten

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 19, 2018
I think the first decision to make is choosing between a 2K or 4K monitor. This will have a high impact on the choice of GPU.
For 4K, you basically need the top of the line card (ie 1080Ti) to get 60fps. This is the minimum. And, for some games, you need to dial down the graphics settings as well. Nvidia is likely to release the 1170/1180 after this summer. If you can wait, wait. I expect, you will be able to buy better performance with the same money or buy the same performance with less money, usually.

For CPU, I do not think it is a good idea to use a lower end CPU with a higher end GPU. I am not comfortable with a 4C/4T CPU at all. I suggest either a 4C/8T or 6C/6T CPU to ensure it will perform well in the coming several years. Often, for many people, over the course of life of a PC system, the CPU is changed much less often than the GPU.

And since you are a new comer, I do not suggest delidding. Pay attention to this kind of details after you gain more experience, if you are still interested by then.
I decided to go with a 4K display. I've been reading up on the new NVIDIA architecture and it seems like people say it might come out around this upcoming winter; which is a long time. Any estimates on when the 1180 would come out? Have you heard anything?

Appreciate the input.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
For 4K gaming and the CPU part I'd say you have alot of options. I have a 4K screen and been gaming on it for the past year.
For budget reasons my S4M-C build started with a dualocore Pentium G4620 (2C/4T) , and it handeled things really well. I "upgraded" it to a 6700K and see very little improvement in FPS in the games I play. Running 4K you are going to be GPU bound 99% of time taking the load of the CPU. That being said I would also pick up more potent CPU for future proofing or if you go down 2K etc.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I decided to go with a 4K display. I've been reading up on the new NVIDIA architecture and it seems like people say it might come out around this upcoming winter; which is a long time. Any estimates on when the 1180 would come out? Have you heard anything?

Appreciate the input.
1180 Founder's Edition could come out in July and 3rd party cards follow in August and September.
1170, if previous patterns stay, could come out a few weeks after release of 1180.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-faq,37067.html

In the past week or two, there is a sudden and relative abundance supply of 1070/1070Ti/1080/1080Ti, making the prices drop closer to normal. I think this phenomena is not totally due to the relative cooling down of the mining madness, but also the inventory of these cards has to be unloaded to make way for the coming new cards. 1070 cards are so abundant that it is reported that some of the 1070s are castrated to make them selling as 1060. I think it is for the purpose of speeding up the clearance of existing stocks.
All these signs do not point to a winter release of 1170/1180 but rather a July/August release.

BTW, which games do you play?

Last edited:

JustKitten

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 19, 2018
For 4K gaming and the CPU part I'd say you have alot of options. I have a 4K screen and been gaming on it for the past year.
For budget reasons my S4M-C build started with a dualocore Pentium G4620 (2C/4T) , and it handeled things really well. I "upgraded" it to a 6700K and see very little improvement in FPS in the games I play. Running 4K you are going to be GPU bound 99% of time taking the load of the CPU. That being said I would also pick up more potent CPU for future proofing or if you go down 2K etc.
The idea for the CPU was to pick up a Whiskey Lake i3 (as it *should* come out around the time as the 1180/2080) and then once Ice Lake comes out next year upgrade to an i7. Thoughts on this?

BTW, which games do you play?
Need for Speed Payback, Forza Horizon 3, Civilization VI, GTA V, Rainbow Six Siege, and PUBG.