(Mike from Hardware Canucks explains the sound level while making shadow puppets.)​

The Alpenfohn Black Ridge, originally spawned from the legendary mind of Dan from Dan Cases, is a bit of a legend in the small form factor arena. Mike from Hardware Canucks finally had one arrive and did an in-depth review of the cooler. How in-depth? He's making me rethink my testing methodology. Thanks...Mike.....

Anyway, it's a fantastic review and well worth the watch. Check it out below.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Plenty of people here watched the video, I'm sure. I also watched it, it's excellently done and highlights typical SFF concerns with RAM/heatsink clearance as well as the various ways to mount the fans. It's typical for SFF builds to consider airflow differently, since fans are often restricted in placement and number. So that one fan might change the whole build's viability.

Reactions: rfarmer

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
The biggest issue with this is that noctua fan swap is tested on the BR but we need to know the numbers for when you do the same fan swap (as I did) on AXP90 for example.

I ended up going for AXP90 in my Velka 7, as it was cheaper and the BR was a bit hard to source. It does yield quite a bit more space and freedom around that general area. But I'm still totally unclear on the comparison with the noctua fan. Note also the A9x14 fan has two models. the chromax black one is the one that goes up to 2500rpm, but there is an a9x14 in the noctua colors that only goes to 2200rpm. It's very hard to compare coolers in a proper apples to apples way.

I mildly regret not going for the black ridge because it is a bit more of an ideal choice since i'm also using liquid metal on the IHS - HSF interface. The copper coldplate of the AXP90 is not as ideal.