Discussion Gude File Windows 11

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I have something in Windows 11 that I didn't have in Windows 10, it's a Gude File. When I open a file or click an item in File Explorer then close out a Gude File is created, I have them in all my folders. Can this be turned off? Is it best not to? Thanks for reading.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Is it any file? All I'm seeing on Google is it's Photoshop related :/

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Is it any file? All I'm seeing on Google is it's Photoshop related :/
I just built this pc & is my work pc only and have many PSD files (and Lr catalogs), that's why I'm seeing them if its Ps related. Funny thing is on my other pc that is now my back up I have Windows 10 & I don't have any Gude text files. I also have the same version of Lr & Ps on both pc's. Thought maybe it was just related to something new with Windows 11. (Windows 10 vs 11) They've changed things a bit and added many new features. What I do like is that I can view Sony RAW ARW files in the details pane, but not able in Windows 10, really like that feature. Guess I'll hop over to Adobe Community forum and see what they say. It's no big deal, I just like to keep files and folders orderly and things that aren't necessary delete.

Last edited by a moderator:

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
This is not only a problem with Illustrator, but with Photoshop as well! Each time I open a file it creates a gude.log That´s annoying and extremely slowing my work performance!

Possible fix One:

1. You use Windows to search for "gude*.log" in the appropriate top-level folder and remove every instance of the pesky file on a drive in < a minute. ( would suggest "Search Everything" as Windows search has been such a piece of crap since XP to 11 and still is)

2. You then create no more by changing your habit to opening files with either Bridge (which is what it is made for) or "right-click open with."
I would assume he is talking about "Adobe Bridge"
3. Or as I do; use right click "open with Bridge" which immediately allows me to see all the images in a folder full size etc.

Possible fix Two: this one is from Adobe so I would not put too much faith in it since it is Creative Crap (Cloud) based software
We encourage you all to update to the latest Illustrator version (v27.3.1) and let me know if you continue to experience any issues.

An Adobe employee marked this as solved which is not solved. So I thought if it is marked that way maybe they don't get any notifications anymore about this. This is why I created another. (Not My comment)

Note the yearly cost for Illustrator CC or Photoshop CC is Adobe Illustrator CC costs $239.88 yearly. ($659.88 for both)

Finally a 3rd workaround:

Hello,
I stumbled across this website with a very detailed writeup (What to do when a mysterious log file occurs when Illustrator is started ) after experiencing this issue, what has “worked” for me, for now, is resetting my preferences in Illustrator. Maybe Adobe devs can pinpoint the issue somewhere from this person's research.

No true fix from Adobe has been provided to date for all the poor stupid souls (that must use this poorly written software for their jobs) paying $659.88 a year...... Note: Adobe's only hard software left in their Portfolio of Crap is Photoshop elements, everything else is (Creative Cloud Crap) even the free Reader, which dumps new GCC software, in your system, every time you install or update. GCC is unnecessary for Free software!! (GCC is Adobe Genuine Copy Validation Client)

Reactions: Jp42nca

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
This is not only a problem with Illustrator, but with Photoshop as well! Each time I open a file it creates a gude.log That´s annoying and extremely slowing my work performance!

Possible fix One:

1. You use Windows to search for "gude*.log" in the appropriate top-level folder and remove every instance of the pesky file on a drive in < a minute. ( would suggest "Search Everything" as Windows search has been such a piece of crap since XP to 11 and still is)

2. You then create no more by changing your habit to opening files with either Bridge (which is what it is made for) or "right-click open with."
3. Or as I do; use right click "open with Bridge" which immediately allows me to see all the images in a folder full size etc.

Possible fix Two: this one is from Adobe so I would not put too much faith in it since it is Creative Crap (Cloud) based software
We encourage you all to update to the latest Illustrator version (v27.3.1) and let me know if you continue to experience any issues.

An Adobe employee marked this as solved which is not solved. So I thought if it is marked that way maybe they don't get any notifications anymore about this. This is why I created another. (Not My comment)

Note the yearly cost for Illustrator CC or Photoshop CC is Adobe Illustrator CC costs $239.88 yearly. ($659.88 for both)

Hello,
I stumbled across this website with a very detailed writeup (What to do when a mysterious log file occurs when Illustrator is started ) after experiencing this issue, what has “worked” for me, for now, is resetting my preferences in Illustrator. Maybe Adobe devs can pinpoint the issue somewhere from this person's research.

No true fix from Adobe has been provided to date for all the poor stupid souls (that must use this poorly written software for their jobs) paying $659.88 a year...... Note: Adobe's only hard software left in their Portfolio of Crap is Photoshop elements, everything else is (Creative Cloud Crap) even the free Reader, which dumps new GCC software, in your system, every time you install or update. GCC is unnecessary for Free software!! (GCC is Adobe Genuine Copy Validation Client)
Thanks for the work around options you provided. I have bridge but rarely use it. Once in a while I have to actually look at a ARW Raw image to view it, but now Windows 11 lets you preview it in the details pane. I just create a client folder, put in the raw images then create a catalog and import to Lr, then Ps, then back to Lr for finishing touches. For my applications it just creates another step. Maybe I should rethink. Once again thanks for your help.Jp

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020

Possible fix One:

Hello,

FYI - I just updated Ps & Br, what did I have to lose right, restarted pc, and opened a few PSD files then closed out. No Gude File was created. Looks like Adobe actually fixed it this time. I usually wait awhile before doing Adobe updates for obvious reasons, looks like I stopped at the wrong one.