GPU Graphics Card for HP Compaq Pro 6300

CerberusBlack

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 31, 2019
Hello! This is my first post here. I'm excited to find such a dedicated group focused on SFF.

I have a HP Compaq Pro 6300 with 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD. It has a Core i5 3470 3.2 GHz CPU. If needed I could upgrade it to 32 GB of RAM but at this point I don't think that's necessary.

I'm looking for a graphics card for this computer to make it into a basic gaming box for a friend who could use a positive bump in his life after some repeated hard luck. He's a casual gamer and I know this will help him if I can give this to him but I want it to actually be worth using as a basic gaming box. I don't need it running at 1440 or anything crazy but if I can put a card in that will let it run some of the current games at 1080p with good performance it would make a big positive impact on his day to day. Hard to watch a good friend struggle with bad luck over and over so I would really like to amke this work. This is what I've seen so far after a bit of looking but I'm completely open to suggestions.

I don't have any issues with used or refurbished if I can get it.

Thanks!

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
If it’s the slim tower you are looking at a 1050ti low profile for the best performance off the top of my head. Standard height 1050ti if mid tower and say 300w psu.

Need to know what form factor the machine is and PSU it has really.

If it’s a mid tower with a psu that has 6pin gpu power connection (kind of doubt it but hey maybe?)you have more options. Standard height GPUs - 1050/ti, rx460/560 or 470/570 , gtx 1060.

The i5 will under serve any gpu beyond a 1060/rx580 so not worth the investment IMO.

Edit: gtx 950. Really cheap atm if you look around.

CerberusBlack

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 31, 2019
Thanks. It's the form factor that sits flat on the desk that people often put their monitor right on top of. I believe it has the 240 W PSU in it but I will have to double check that later.

I know there are adapters out there that will let you put in a more powerful 3rd party PSU and use it with the HP motherboard but I haven't looked at that in depth yet. Getting my basics figured out for this first.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Ok. The slim towers such as that are limited to low profile GPUs ,unless you are modding.

1050/1050ti , rx550, GTX 750/750ti. Low profile versions should drop in.