GPU Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini (from the EGPU)

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Hi All,

So I just received word my skyreach S4 Mini has been shipped, So I want to go a purchase my hardware right now.
Unfortunatly all the Zotac GTX 1080 minis are sold out around the netherlands.

Now I saw Gigabyte has a GTX 1080 ITX mini, but what I read from reviews is that it gets really hot and makes a lot of noise. But I saw that the Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 gaming box also has the same sort of card, but more naked and with a big 130mm fan.

Has anyone used the card from the Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 gaming box in a build yet and knows its preformance?

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
@rokabeka has one in he's S4 classic. I have the Gigabyte 1080 mini and it isn't loud in my opinion, hot yes but what mini card isn't stuffed into a 4,3l case :)

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
@Zuuk thx for the info, hope @rokabeka can tell his experience with it :)
this big fan is really nice to have. practically cools the whole naked heatsink, no plastic around. I have ran loads of graphic tests but never the furmark. furthermore, because I have a HDPlex 250 driving it, I had to limit the 1080's power from 150W to 130W to allow me seriously load the CPU (ryzen 1700). with a HP230W brick this is a nicely balanced system.
in an environment like this the giga 1080 mini(like) is cool and silent even under the valley test. there is not much difference in noise when the card runs in 150W mode tho.

I run linux but if you have questions please feel free to ask them.

EDIT: please do not forget that this card won't fit in most of the regular PCIe slots on a motherboard because of the fan. as long as you stick with the S4 Mini, you are good.

Reactions: Zuuk

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@rokabeka thx for the information. Im planning on running a Intel I7 8700 (if it ever becomes available) with a HDplex 400 and a Dell 330W on Windows 10. I will mainly use it for gaming and graphic (3D) design. I was planning on undervolting as much as possible without any loses in preformance.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Seeing as the aorus card is the Gigabyte 1080 mini without the plastic shroud and a bigger fan...makes me wonder if I could run a "ceiling" fan on my Gigabyte card aswell. Might be hard to find just the fan tho.

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
Seeing as the aorus card is the Gigabyte 1080 mini without the plastic shroud and a bigger fan...makes me wonder if I could run a "ceiling" fan on my Gigabyte card aswell. Might be hard to find just the fan tho.
scythe 120mm slim fans modded might be good for replacement. or some frameless fans if you have space for that. or the dual noctua 92mm used by a few S4M builds already.
but I think there is an advantage of the frameless fan that it kind of cools larger area than the ones with frames, even if the airstream is not that concentrated.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@rokabeka, The naked GTX 1080. You said you had to limit its wattage from 150 to 130. Does that mean the max power overall on the card is 150 watt? since that is 30 watts less then the Zotac GTX 1080 mini which would be very nice.

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
@rokabeka, The naked GTX 1080. You said you had to limit its wattage from 150 to 130. Does that mean the max power overall on the card is 150 watt? since that is 30 watts less then the Zotac GTX 1080 mini which would be very nice.
I was also surprised, not yet checked what is behind. that is what linux reported (nvidia-smi). and it is quite in accordance with what I see on the kill-a-watt (plug power meter). most likely that is one reason this can remain silent.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
It is a nice card for sure, I'm glad I went with it rather than the Zotac card. I tweaked mine yesterday so that it's running only 60% power target from afterburner and fan set to quiet mode. Runs PUBG @ 4K like a champ 65-90fps, while maintaing very low noise levels and roughly 75-78c loaded.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Nice, can't wait to get my skyreach 4 mini and start building! I might make a building log :)

Reactions: Kmpkt

Kamiii

Caliper Novice
Dec 20, 2017
Hey Bricek; I ordered mine from Belgium last Friday, and it is due this week. Live in the Netherlands too. From what I understand about stock coolers, you could mount an aftermarket fan on it with zipties. I will be using the Scythe Slip Stream 120 DB, 1900 rpm, and it costs around 10 euros. Just pop off the stock shroud and fan, and stick the 4 pin connector in either your mobo or fanhub. Done it before with videocards. Even if it doesn't improve the temps, which I doubt with 120mm vs 90mm, it will improve sound the sound level. Just set it at a nigh inaudible speed. If it all doesn't work you could order an Arcitc accelero mono plus, for 30 euros, if that fits your case that is. That cooler is rated for 200w, but mine has cooled my gtx 580 fine, which was a ridiculously powerhungry card, way over 200 tdp.

Kamiii

Caliper Novice
Dec 20, 2017
The first option I opted for does not harm your warranty in any way! Provided you put the plastic shroud back on, should you decide to send it in. Since you're building your own pc, you should be able to do this -- it is about as difficult as removing an air cooler from your cpu, you see, a gpu is actually another motherboard with ram, processing unit and cooling included. Anyways, I might sounding like a prick right now but I'm really trying to help ;). I respect your decision, and if you need temps on stock in my node 202, you know how to find me, I guess :).

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@rokabeka, I got my skyreach 4 Mini build and done. But I notice that the fan from the Gigabyte gtx 1080 eGPU card is making a rattling noise, have you encountered this aswell?

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
@rokabeka, I got my skyreach 4 Mini build and done. But I notice that the fan from the Gigabyte gtx 1080 eGPU card is making a rattling noise, have you encountered this aswell?
nope, mine is completely silent.
did you try it outside the Mini, too? is it possible that the fan hits the case or a cable?

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@rokabeka , As far as I can see, I dont see it hitting anything, it has more then 1 cm headroom above the fan and all cables are put behind the card.

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
@rokabeka , As far as I can see, I dont see it hitting anything, it has more then 1 cm headroom above the fan and all cables are put behind the card.

down at the PCIe slot? the fan hangs down pretty much.
you might need to try it outside the chassis. this can be a pain if installing was difficult enough...

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
I made some pictures. You can see it doesn't touch anything. But I might have use the wrong wording for it, since its more a shizzling then rattling.

But besides a shizziling noise, I also now have sudden vertical lines popping up at random for a fraction of a sec.

Last edited: