Enclosure Ghost S1 + Ryzen 5 3600X thermals

irq

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 12, 2020
Guys,

I have a Louqe Ghost S1 with a Ryzen 5 3600X cooled by a Noctua L9a-AM4. If Performance Boost is enabled the CPU temperature oscillates between 60º and 80º at idle. If it is disabled it goes to 50º~60º. My question is: if I upgrade my current cooler by a NH-L12S, will it make a significant difference? If no, how can I improve the thermals?

H2oGhost

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 21, 2020
NH-L12S is the best aircooler on the market for Ghost s1. It works even for 3900x/3950x. It needs to be bend, there is plenty of videos on yube how to do that. Another thing to consider is running ryzen master + cinebench to tweak the cpu för best performance/temps.

frenzen90

Cable Smoosher
New User
Apr 19, 2020
w
Guys,

I have a Louqe Ghost S1 with a Ryzen 5 3600X cooled by a Noctua L9a-AM4. If Performance Boost is enabled the CPU temperature oscillates between 60º and 80º at idle. If it is disabled it goes to 50º~60º. My question is: if I upgrade my current cooler by a NH-L12S, will it make a significant difference? If no, how can I improve the thermals?

Which is your current fan setup?

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I haven´t had that cooler nor the case, but I have some experience with these ryzens. Take in mind that the ryzen processor are difficulkt to cool because the placement of the chiplet. I don´t know if it´s possible, but try to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees to see if heatpipes work better that way. In my experience having owned a 3700x and now a 3950x it´s not more difficult to cool the latter over the former, because it´s difficult for the heatsink to extract the heat from one of the sides of the IHS instead of the center, so heatsinks probably can´t work properly with ryzen cpus specially with those that only have one chiplet.

Der8auer has design a braket to use with coolers so one can move ir around the socket a bit and work around this problem, take a look at the video. It´s not officially suported for itx motherboards, so maybe it´s not the solution.

Something I can tell you is that I had similar temp problems with my 3700x and a black ridge on a kolink rocket, the fan was going up and down like crazy with no apparent reason, and cooling was not that good, I ended up with a 12 cm fan on It got better after I lapped the processor, but anyway, I found it difficult to cool specially comparing it to the 3950x.

Another bit of data. With my RL on a Ncase M1, and the 3700x concuming 110-120 w it could easily go up to 90 degrees, but with the same RL and the 3950x consuming 200-210w it stays at 70 something. This is why I think the problem is the position of the chiplet, and because of that the current gen of heatsinks is not able to work to its full potential.