Discussion Ghost S1 and sandwich case users, what are you going to do when you can't upgrade to RTX 3090?

virtuousdee

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Sep 1, 2020
I have a Nouvolo case and it can only fit 2 slot GPUs. All of the 3090 partners have at least 2.2 slot GPUs.

I'm tempted to just pre-order the Formd T1 or maybe order an extra stack so I can fit a 2 slot hybrid GPU. Either way, my wallet is screaming.

YESWEKEN

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2019
I think it was a stroke of genius for Nvidia to just re-brand the Titan into a "normal" numbered card in the line up and lower the price. Suddenly, with this generation, so many more enthusiasts I know are feeling the need to get a Titan even though they never even remotely considered getting one with with any previous generation.

Sure the 1k price drop from previous Titans is a strong draw. But the prevailing attitude before was that the card was so extra, it was unnecessary, but now people seem to be trying to move financial and system spec/fit mountains to get one into their system. Very well played Nvidia to change attitudes so drastically.

Not really a judgement on anyone who wants to get one, just impressed at how they changed people's minds so easily. $1k savings is no joke.
For iTX owners who are struggling to figure out how to fit one into their system, I think the best hope is to wait for 3rd party versions, there might be some interesting designs coming.

either way, I bet the performance will be insane tho. ?

SaltyNuggets

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 13, 2020
The Ghost S1 has a GPU clearance of 45mm and supposedly the evga xc3 is 45.1mm so it *could* fit, but turbulence may be an issue as the card is pressing against the side panel...

mcwobby

Chassis Packer
Sep 23, 2018
I have a Nouvolo case and it can only fit 2 slot GPUs. All of the 3090 partners have at least 2.2 slot GPUs.

I'm tempted to just pre-order the Formd T1 or maybe order an extra stack so I can fit a 2 slot hybrid GPU. Either way, my wallet is screaming.

What is the 2.2 slot 3090? I can fit one of those I think.
I plan to just use a 3080, though I had money set aside for a 2080Ti, so I could spring for a 3090 (Or just buy a nicer monitor as well).

I have no intention on changing cases, I’m already in a bigger case than I’d prefer. I might be able to do a hybrid card if I can make a radiator fit (or just leave it on air and see what happens).

Thankfully I thought ahead and got a 750W PSU.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
Sentry owner here, Given that only one side of the case was perforated for the GPU; I ended up biting the bullet and bought a Sliger Cerberus MATX.

It's sort of working out?

I had an older Z370 MATX board lying around so I grabbed a delided 8700k on eBay for 250 bucks, I'm definitely going into a bigger case now but at least I went up 2 cores, a CPU generation, and a hell of a lot more cooling potential.

Of course, I'm still waiting on the case. Sliger implied they had shipping delays thanks to COVID but it has been almost a week and I don't so much as have a tracking number yet.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

lalaboi

Chassis Packer
Dec 19, 2019
Waterforce AIO would be my choice since i have had great experience thus far with their RTX 2080 TI
Just undecided between the RTX 3080 or RX 6800 XT or skip. It would have to come down to availability and price in my region.

qhash

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 4, 2019
Loque upgraded their compatibility guide:
I just can't understand what they are saying about fitting some bigger cards with shroud removed and 120x15 fans installed. GamingPro 3070/3080/3090 is 60mm thick. Looking at the photos it seems that the radiator itself is 40mm. I have never owned a Ghost S1 case. Is there more space available, so that in some places the GPU compartment is thicker and that config can fit? I aksed Loque about that, but no reply yet.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
Loque upgraded their compatibility guide:
I just can't understand what they are saying about fitting some bigger cards with shroud removed and 120x15 fans installed. GamingPro 3070/3080/3090 is 60mm thick. Looking at the photos it seems that the radiator itself is 40mm. I have never owned a Ghost S1 case. Is there more space available, so that in some places the GPU compartment is thicker and that config can fit? I aksed Loque about that, but no reply yet.

There are top hats to increase height , but nothing to increase width. That is limited by the two end plates.