Geeek A40

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
I saw a posting on SFF Forum > The Pavilion > General concerning the Geeek A50 case and then spent time on the Geeek Global web site and ordered a GEEEK A40 case. The order date was August 23, 2018 and I used my Pay Pal account to pay the $79.90 for the case with riser cable, and $23.01 for DHL shipping from TAO YUAN - TAIWAN to me in San Jose, CA.

On August 30 I received an emails from GEEEK Global and DHL Express which informed me that the A40 case was shipping, I was given a DHL tracking number and a URL to the package tracking detail.

Then a few more DHL Express emails concerning delivery details on August 3rd. And then on August 4th the package arrived ay my front door. I think that this is 12 days from web order to delivery.

The package arrived in good shape:

The packaging was well done and seems appropriate for this type of kitting.

There were no assembly instructions included in the package but I did find a 19 page instruction set on the Geeek Global web site. It did take me some time to see how the system designed and started the assembly seen here. The line drawing are not all that clear and could be improved.

I did a quick fixture to hold my digital calipers and came up with approximate 61 mm from the CPU heat spreader to the inside side cover. Love that the thickness of the aluminum angle is 3 mm.

The example system seen here is from my collection of used parts that are too good to throw away.

There is provision for 2 92 mm fans in the top panel and an 80 mm fan on the bottom panel. They were not needed with this set of parts.

I was not up for doing custom cable lengths so to hide the clutter I made up two modesty panels seen here.

Summary: I found the small parts to be a pain to handle with my large hands (my problem). No missing parts and everything fits. I did mod the two hard drive mounting plates for better clearance of the data and power cables which could be avoided if you have connector bodies that will fit as is.

So for now this system goes onto the shelf as is.

Neil

Last edited:
Reactions: chyll2 and K888D

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
While I do not need another case, the free shipping and no sale tax makes the A50 preorder a good deal (includes the riser cable) IMHO.

Now I am wondering if this A50 will arrive before the Ghost S1 that has been on order for months.

Reactions: chyll2 and rfarmer

diego38

Chassis Packer
Oct 2, 2018
Hi There! Great build, seems like a very nice case. I have a question though: In you experience working with the case, is it possible to switch the bottom panel with the top panel and make it a "non-inverted" case? Meaning the motherboard side would be facing the left side panel? I do realize one would have to give up the "top" I/O, but other than that, are there any other restrictions? Thanks in advance!

Wordsworth

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 29, 2017
This case looks great, looking forward to see if they do one all in black. I do have one question, what is the distance between the top of the mobo and the case? I was wondering if you could fit a 92mm rad with a slim fan. Thanks.

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
This case looks great, looking forward to see if they do one all in black. I do have one question, what is the distance between the top of the mobo and the case? I was wondering if you could fit a 92mm rad with a slim fan. Thanks.

Well there is 30 mm between the underside of he top panel and the top edge of the motherboard. However the riser cable would need several mm of that, at least 2 mm IMHO.

Good luck, Neil

Wordsworth

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 29, 2017
Interesting, thanks for checking. Certainly not enough room, maybe mount fans or rad on the outside of the case then. hmmm thinking to be done.

Reiferic

Efficiency Noob
Oct 22, 2018
Nice build. I preordered one of these A40s as well and I’m just gathering components now. I’ll start a build thread soon.