GEEEK A30 Build help - Flex ATX PSU issue

jmejay

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 30, 2019
Hello everyone! Long time lurker but finally got round to starting my build.

Apologies for any poor formatting etc, posting on my phone while my PC is in bits!

Onto the problem.

Specs:
Asrock z390 phantom itx
gtx 1660 ti
delta dps 400w modular geeek modded psu
samsung nvme 970
1x16 corsair lpx ddr4

With this build, I cannot get any POST.

If I remove the gpu, I can boot to bios.

If I install my old Gtx 1050ti (which draws power from motherboard) it seems to work. I didn't plug in to the monitor, but it seems to post.

So with that in mind, I am now considering the pci-e power from the PSU as the problem.

The 8 pin cable I have for pci-e power seems to only have 7 pins. The gpu needs 8 pin power.

The psu also has two 6 pin rails. Is there a way I can combine any of the 6 pin sockets with the 8 pin to get the power the gpu needs?

Or is perhaps my 8 pin cable with 7 pins is the problem?

The system should draw less than 300w at an average load, so it should at least be able to post, right?

Thanks for your help. I hope I have explained everything well. Hopeful to be part of SFF soon!

J

jmejay

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 30, 2019
Forgot to mention - I know the Gtx 1660 ti works; I used it in my old, giant, ATX pc.

nkresho

Cable Smoosher
Dec 14, 2019
Does the psu have any molex 4 pin outputs? Maybe grab a couple molex to 8pin adapters? Or green to ground another psu outside the chassis and supply gpu power from that to rule out any other problems. Also might be worthwhile to throw the 1050ti back in and measure voltages across the gpu pins

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
You can combine two 6-pin PCIe connectors to form an 8-pin one.
Get one of these:-https://www.newegg.com/p/0X6-04KT-06K17
Look around for better price and a more suitable length.

Or, if it is just a missing 8th terminal pin, you can source one and fix it back. Needs a little skill and tool. But it is not hard.

jmejay

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 30, 2019
Thanks guys for your help. Absolutely no idea how I fixed it, but it works now! Build complete.

cwspellowe

Cable Smoosher
New User
Mar 7, 2020
Glad you sorted it, I have an A30 with a Delta 400W PSU that only came with one 8 pin PCI-E connector, I ended up using a SATA to PCI-E 6 pin to be able to post.

Would be curious to know how your PSU goes, i'm potentially looking at having to RMA mine as it crackles and buzzes under any kind of load, i've had to use my old SFX PSU externally til my new PSU arrives.

jmejay

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 30, 2019
Glad you sorted it, I have an A30 with a Delta 400W PSU that only came with one 8 pin PCI-E connector, I ended up using a SATA to PCI-E 6 pin to be able to post.

Would be curious to know how your PSU goes, i'm potentially looking at having to RMA mine as it crackles and buzzes under any kind of load, i've had to use my old SFX PSU externally til my new PSU arrives.

I'm not clued up on PSU'S, but I didn't wonder if maybe the pci cable was one directional? My PSU did crackle before it posted when I had the original problem, but after that it's been running games very nicely at 50 degrees. Touch wood it continues!