Gamers Nexus to test and review power supplies!

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I'd love for Steve to do it because he would do it right. But I'm not sure the audience is there for such a niche product segment. He does need to consider ROI on his videos after all.

Reactions: Phuncz

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
the features on a power supply are niche, but it's something important enough that no one should bottom-floor cheap out on. maybe power ratings (especially kilowatt PSUs) and that segmentation niche

also it'd probably be a seasonal thing, when the big brands release new stuff. also I'd think he'd done the ROI research enough to learn and be working with the same equipment that jonnyguru has.

think of all the testing that could be done though! (passive PSUs, that rubbish watercooled one)

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
the features on a power supply are niche, but it's something important enough that no one should bottom-floor cheap out on. maybe power ratings (especially kilowatt PSUs) and that segmentation niche

also it'd probably be a seasonal thing, when the big brands release new stuff. also I'd think he'd done the ROI research enough to learn and be working with the same equipment that jonnyguru has.

think of all the testing that could be done though! (passive PSUs, that rubbish watercooled one)

Was referring to DC\DC power supplies specifically, when talking about ROI, but he must have found ATX power supplies worth doing seeing as he's invested the time and money into equipment.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
oh right hmm. not many people outside of SFF knows about DC/DC stuff anyway, maybe being part of some power supply overview or primer would be more appropriate?

yeah i dunno. still kinda excited there's two people who test power supplies now

PSU testing is stupid expensive to do right, hence SFFn not doing it (yet). Teardowns and component selection analysis, that we can do.(and have done!)
curious on one bit: where does one go to get reviews on electrical components? I mean I read motherboard and PSU reviews and chokes and whatnot gets mentioned and how good are thry (but seemingly offhandedly) o_o

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
curious on one bit: where does one go to get reviews on electrical components? I mean I read motherboard and PSU reviews and chokes and whatnot gets mentioned and how good are thry (but seemingly offhandedly) o_o

It's mostly anecdotal at the moment - apart from the usual website/Youtube rants, it's hard to find accurate information outside of first tier components being better than second, and thus forth :(

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018

Buildzoid (Actually Hardcore Overclocking) does really good motherboard PCB analysis videos (some of them are on Gamers Nexus). He just this morning put up a video on the Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 5. Also covered the Hades Canyon NUC last week. It's a very good channel. That's as close as I can get to a proper motherboard breakdown.

It's mostly anecdotal at the moment - apart from the usual website/Youtube rants, it's hard to find accurate information outside of first tier components being better than second, and thus forth :(

Yep. It's really hard to find reasoned arguments for/against component choices.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Most component-level comparisons are based on spec-sheet ratings rather than direct testing. Actual reliable testing of e.g. capacitors would be another order of magnitude headache above proper testing of power supplies. Not only do you need to test larger batches to get reliable data (and data on reliability) but you need to start throwing in environmental control testing, lifecycle duration testing, etc. This sort of testing is done by the component manufacturers themselves (of their own components and of their competitors) but I am unaware of any independent bodies who test wide ranges of components, and certainly not ones who publish their results publicly. Even things like MIL-STD testing is conformity testing rather than 'quality' testing.

In my view, as long as you trust the manufacturer not to be fiddling their spec sheets (or your supplier not to be sending your knockoffs) if two components have the same specs they may as well be equivalent quality for all practical purposes. Unless you're intending to do something extreme like stick a device in an oven with no maintenance for a decade or two (at which point you have a whole bunch of other issues beyond just component selection. No good picking 'top rate' capacitors if you then use high-acid solder at too low a heat, skip pre-soak, don't wash the board, and forget the conformal coating).

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
From what I understand, Johnny Guru was behind the SF600 and SF450, which are both seem to be pretty great. Haven't really heard anything bad about them, besides the cables they include being rigid and hard to deal with (which in my experience they are). Looks like he is the right guy to train Steve. Might be a long shot, but I'd like him to test some flex and SFX as well at some point.

Reactions: VegetableStu