News GALAX Unveil single-slot GTX 1070 Katana

Pictures here
Single slot, blower cooler, appears to be based on an ITX-length PCB (though GALAX do not appear to be offering an ITX-length GTX 1070 at this time). Sadly the DVI port didn't get axed, so it has a paltry 1x DVI-D (not even DVI-I!), 1x DP, and 1x HDMI.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Been waitin' for these to start appearing, hoped something like Gainward's usual I/O would reign though perhaps even on the 1080 with their single slot I/O of 1x Mini-HDMI 3x Mini-DP + 1x DVI-I.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I'm sure some people will find this useful. Too bad they didn't just go with the regular 3x (mini)DP + 1x hdmi. Wonder what sound pressure is gonna be though, since 2 slot blower coolers already appear very loud to me.

BTW, am I the only one who's bothered by the fan wire sticking out like that??

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Wow that's crazy. A little weird that the card can't exhaust through the back at all, but I somehow suspect this either going to be used deeply underclocked or watercooled either way. Nobody could endure the noise of a single slot 1070 running at full tilt I would imagine.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It seems to exhaust at the front where the heatsink shows itself. If there was ever a card that needs ducting, it's this one. Nice that Galax (again) fills a hole in the market.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Agreed, Necere. Three possible outcomes here- either it's not sold at all, it becomes sold in most major markets or just as likely, limited to certain markets in Asia and Europe as they did with their low profile 950.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
They did this a couple years ago with the GTX 750ti Razor. Pretty sure it never saw the light of day. I was kinda choked since it looked so promising too : /

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
When u already bought a Galax 1070 Mini

So... no reason, but are there SLI bridges that are long and flexible like PCIe riser cables?

Not sure about the SLI bridge question but everyday I check ITX 1070 prices and then check for RX580 news...I know I can not hold out for VEGA so it is either buy now and stop worrying or wait questioning if "today is the day...I make a decision."

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Honestly, I'd expect this cute little baby to put out quite a lot of noise, since it's such a small cooler. I think of gaming laptops.

It's one of those things where you'll feel bad now for not having your part, but you'll probably feel better in the end making the best possible decision. Even if you end up getting a 1070, if you wait you'll have your 1070 with the certainty that it's better than the RX580 (if it's better).

It's kind of like when you're playing a card game like Magic or Hearthstone and you're holding onto a card that kills an enemy monster. "I could kill this annoying little guy who will eventually be a problem... or I could hold out and try to kill a more problematic monster..."

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Release date in Europe around May, according to Galax.

The GPU casing bears the mention "hot surface". Seems to me it is going to partially act as a heatsink.
In that case, the card would need to be separated from the rest of the system, a bit like @Aibohphobia STX160.0.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's probably because it seems to have a metal shroud to maximize the copper heatsink's size.

BTW:

Reactions: Ceros_X