G.Skill has entered the Small(ish) Form Factor ITX case market with the Z5i. The vertically designed Z5i supports a 280mm radiator/AIO, 70mm tall CPU cooler, ITX motherboard, PCIe 3.0 riser, 3 slot wide and up to 330mm long GPU, and SFX power supply. It can also house two 2.5 inch hard drives, and one 3.5 inch hard drive though this will interfere with GPU length.

The case is note worthy for its 4mm bent tempered glass, giving it a unique shape with hinged panels, and making volume calculation difficult without measuring it directly.

Cooling is handled through two rear fans that double as the AIO mounting location. Toms Hardware reviewed the case and praised it's looks and design, but found a substantial difference in GPU temperature with the panels open vs closed. They gave the case 3 out of 5 stars.

You can see the Toms Hardware Review here.

G.Skill also claims the case won the the Red Dot design award. This is an "award" that is bought and paid for, and mostly used for marketing purposes. As such, you should not consider it an indicator of performance or quality.

Price is set for $199.

You can check out the product page here.

• Haha
Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Guessing what, 25L?

I did the basic math and it was close to 25L. However, that's not accurate because the case becomes a triangle at the front. I would have to know the dimension of the triangular portion to determine the volume of that section, and add it to the rectangular section.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The spec says ''307.5 x 190 x 417.5mm'', which is about 24 litres. Height and width are straight forward to calculate. I guess the length (or depth) includes up to the top of the 'triangle'. So, total volume should be less than 24 litres.

I am more forgiving. It is their first entry. Additionally, even if it is a badly designed product, one more SFF product is still good than one less product. I think, regardless how good or how bad it is, this still contributes a little (more or less) to the SFF world.
Hopefully, many other manufacturers will follow. Some will nail it with their 1st product, while some need a few more iterations. Just do not stop. Keep them coming please.

BTW, this angle makes it look like a house. If it has some gutters and downpipes (for water cooling😁), it would be cool.

Finally, I did not know this Red Dot award is something that can be bought? I only came to know this Red Dot award thing when I had eyes on the Open Benchtable BC1/Mini a few years back. The test benches are of excellent design and construction quality.

Reactions: Neathdrawls