Power Supply FSP Mini Flex Guru FSP500-50FDB 500w PSU

Dem0nflare

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
If any one else was looking at this PSU for a alternative flex psu this could be for you. I was hoping it had a quieter fan, but it is just the FSP500-50FDB that has the industrial MGA4012WB-O15 fan with a black paint job, black cables, and "Guru" in the name. I had to replace the fan with a quieter and slower AFB0412HB-F00 for it to be tolerable and not louder then the GPU at load. These units do get hot and the fan is position in the pc instead of pulling the air out more efficiently. If you swap a Noctua fan, only the worse 40x10mm unit will work and you need to plug it into the motherboard at max for it to cool it well enough; only having less then half the max RPM of the stock fan. If you have a case that does not have a opening on the bottom like the Geek A31 like i was using it will make the fan run louder fighting the other fans in PC and drawing in hot air. I ordered a S3 metalfish and K39 to solve that problem myself, but because they don't have clear side panel's getting a black psu did not really matter for me.

Stock Fan Spec:
https://secure.tsuzuki.co.jp/dl/protechnic/dcaxialfan/404015C.pdf
Quieter Fan:

I don't recommend or encourage anyone to open a PSU.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Strange, they advertising this with low noise and intelligent fan control. I was really hoping we wouldn't need a fan swap for that one... I can't understand why they try to safe cost on the fans in these PSUs. In their Oem flex PSUs for NUC9 they use pretty silent ones.

Now I'm thinking if I should get the modular 500W Flexguru or not...

Reactions: Dem0nflare

RogueLeader

Average Stuffer
Oct 11, 2017
i ordered a modular 500W Flex Guru from aliexpress, in China.

although its not likely, i'm hoping it has a different fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
12v .7a for such a small fan, yikes... That thing must be spinning at 15-20k RPM.

Reactions: riba2233

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Just an idea, but did someone ever consider to use a 60mm fan on FLEX PSUs using some 60mm to 40mm adapter like this:

Sure, it would look funny having that stick out at the back of your case but it would definitely help to keep the PSU cool and silent.

RogueLeader

Average Stuffer
Oct 11, 2017
Now I'm thinking if I should get the modular 500W Flexguru or not...

after analyzing it, i don't think this FSP modular PSU will work, with a semi silent fan.

that's because the position of its fan is backwards, specifically its facing towards, & therefore blocked by your power cables.

the Dark Forest PSU has its fan in the correct position, not blocked by your power cables, so it might work at 350-400W semi silent.

my plan is probably going to be offering a choice of a custom non-modular AliExpress PSU, which fits Velka 3 and Velka 5, or a choice of another modular AliExpress PSU.

Last edited:

RogueLeader

Average Stuffer
Oct 11, 2017
Last edited:

Dem0nflare

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
I just saw on redit some one use a Flex from Aliexpress 550w with modular cables, but it's in all Chinese. One of the comments gave it five stars and said it would take the 20mm noctua. Though as RogueLeader said Micheal at velkase will have a black one, but on his website he has the plain one already up for $140. I got lucky and preordered a velka 7 :) so now i don't have to deal with the flex in my main pc.
550w PSU:
Original post:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I just saw on redit some one use a Flex from Aliexpress 550w with modular cables, but it's in all Chinese. One of the comments gave it five stars and said it would take the 20mm noctua. Though as RogueLeader said Micheal at velkase will have a black one, but on his website he has the plain one already up for $140. I got lucky and preordered a velka 7 :) so now i don't have to deal with the flex in my main pc.
550w PSU:
Original post:

I have that one. It's fake. A crappy re- labeled 250W PSU.

Dem0nflare

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
that's the best plan.
there's still no shipped product from SFFTEC.
I am pretty satisfied with the FSP, It's honestly not that bad with the delta fan. It only stays running high speed for like 10 minutes after you stop the workload and you only notice because the cpu/gpu fan already stopped before it. The air coming out of my central air vent makes a louder noise then the delta fan when just browsing the web with more tabs then you can see. It might even improve when the s3 metalfish comes and the psu does not have to fight the case exhaust fan for air. It would be nice if SFFTEC comes threw though. I ordered the c7 cryorig cooler from him too and even though that said immediate shipping in his early post it's now shipping after. I wonder what getting a RMA from him would be like.

Reactions: smitty2k1

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I am pretty satisfied with the FSP, It's honestly not that bad with the delta fan.

can you please clarify what max wattage is, on your FSP unit, while fan is semi-silent ?

for example- i've heard that the much-hated 500W " Dark Forest " PSU, which no one actually has in order to justify their hatred, is good at approximately 350-400W, while fan is semi-silent.

your FSP unit is good at what max wattage, while fan is semi-silent ?

surely it couldn't be the full 500W ???

Dem0nflare

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
I have not done that testing yet with the delta fan (stock got loud at like 100W). For me when i game it's not louder then the GPU and when i run Prime95 it's not louder then the CPU. I can put the Kill-a-Watt reader in and run some HWmoniter though for some numbers tomorrow.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I can put the Kill-a-Watt reader in and run some HWmoniter though for some numbers tomorrow.

thank you.

for reference purposes, the 600W Enhance ENP-7660B is only good at 480W, while its fan is semi-silent.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
what max wattage is, on your FSP unit, while fan is semi-silent ?

FSP unit is good at what max wattage, while fan is semi-silent ?

surely it couldn't be the full 500W ???

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dem0nflare

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
My bad college friends where in town so impromptu dinner plans where made. I was working on it today and finding it a lot harder then i thought to test PSU's decently. Mainly because i don't really have a device that draws that much power or something that does it for you like JonnyGuru would have. Running CPU overclocked to the max does like 100 watts. Now throwing the GPU in, which is only a 2060 ITX so i only overclocked it for this test, but still the system seems to peak 300w-400w, but tends to run at 250w - 300w and that is when the fan hits it's first jump and there seems to be a second one which is 2x as loud at 400w. I disabled all my fans and ran superposition with prime and that the only way i could really tell it was louder and draw enough power. The overclock were the only reason i hit above 400w so if you don't plan to... Clearly not as good as the Enhanced (it has 100w of more headroom) in stock, but if you do the fan swap its probably close. I'd say it's semi silent till 300w with the fan swap, but it's not louder (whinier) then the GPU fan until the 400w point. I would say the main issue is the PSU fan controller, since it's tuned for the stock fan and does not go based of temp readings, where if you used the mobo PMW you could have it turn on when you start using the GPU and actually pulling more power.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I'd say it's semi silent till 300w with the fan swap, but it's not louder (whinier) then the GPU fan until the 400w point.

Thanks.

all we need now is someone to test a Dark Forest PSU. if Dark Forest is semi-silent until 300 or 350W, then that's a good value.

actually, a better value than an ENP-7660B.

Reactions: Dem0nflare

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Just an idea, but did someone ever consider to use a 60mm fan on FLEX PSUs using some 60mm to 40mm adapter like this:

Sure, it would look funny having that stick out at the back of your case but it would definitely help to keep the PSU cool and silent.

At this point, I think maybe a TFX PSU is more fitting. It's unfortunate we are not seeing any good 150mm TFX units with at least 400W. The fan size of 80mm is a game-changer in terms of acoustic performance.