Prototype Free Flow CPU Pump Block

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@optimumtech tested the XSPC TX240 on 9900K, wasn't good.

I chose the Koolance 30FPI 120 Radiator because it's 120mm wide (no wider like many other 120 radiators). The radiator specs claims 400W cooling potential at Δ25C, and the Noctua Sterrox 120mm fans is ideal for these high FPI radiators.
Well, I only know that the Koolance are not great radiators compared to the HW Labs. The TX is just below the HW Labs.

Don’t know the story about optimumtech, but With 1TX 240 and 1TX120 plus the Slim noctua, I have my delidded 7980XE Overclocked at 4.2Ghz and 2 cores at 4.4, no undervolt, 3.6ghz all core under Prime at around 80 degrees. In idle is at 30, and never goes above 60 in photoshop, 3D, etc.
I can only speak well about it! And with a zero airflow case, because are inside a Cerberus X!
But I am using a DDC pump of course...

Last edited:

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Great initiative. There are too few good pump-block combos out there, and most importantly, they are all noisy. To constantly hear the pump whine or, or the angry bee noise from the DC-LT pump is off putting, and takes away from the whole experience, in my opinion. Perhaps with the right material and better noise isolation, we might get an appealing solution in the end.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
There is something about a water cooling and 85C just freaks people out. I completely understand the laws of physics does apply given the limited cooling surface in SFF.

I'm hoping for a solution on the 9900K & rumored 3600X & 3700X that can get blow 80C, I will be very happy with 79C at game loads (benchmarks unlikely).

Given the circumstances, I will take all the help I can get, DDC's extra flow rate being one of them.

There is something sacrilege about telling people to undervolt. I agree that it makes sense in a lot of ways, but still sacrileges.

The noise level and the tone are two separate issue. I have 2 EK DDC, I don't like the tone of either.

Any chance you have a Koolance 30FPI 120 Radiator? Curious how it does in your A4 and how it compares to the other rads.

Why would they freak out about 80ºC? That is the cpu temperature, not the water's.

Also, I think you should go for the solution that Alphacool has: the water comes and goes from the sides of the thing, and not the top. This would ensure compatibility... and unless your block required a very specific position, it could be rotated at will so it should work pretty much everywhere. You could increase the height of the top so that it clears stuff that could potentially be around the socket, but all things considered it looks like THE solution considering that your design is for space-contrained scenarios and that, by using top ports, you are ruining your work to find a thin block. IE you are doing a very thing apparatus only to make it super big by putting the barbs on top.

Now, if you put the ports on the side... you don't have to worry that much about how thin it is (which will make everything more robus, as acrylic is prone to cracking if over-pressured, and if it is too thin it will crack easier) AND you can focus on the really important stuff: that the solution isn't obnoxiously unpleasing to our ears. More space = potentially a bigger pump = potentially less noise.

Lastly, if you ask me, ports on the side look much better.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Why would they freak out about 80ºC? That is the cpu temperature, not the water's.

Tell that to those with unrealistic expectations.

Lastly, if you ask me, ports on the side look much better.

I get that the Alphacool block pump is ideal for the A4 layout, but I need this block pump to work for the larger setups - dual 280x45mm radiators for the CerberusRex. In those scenario, the DC-LT is not going to work out well.

The acrylic is just for prototype, the final version will most likely be made of POM.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
I don't really agree with DC-LT being quieter than a DDC. To me DC-LT is louder and more "clicky".

Anyway I can't wait to see what this brings! I hope we see a D5 version one day.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Tell that to those with unrealistic expectations.

I get that the Alphacool block pump is ideal for the A4 layout, but I need this block pump to work for the larger setups - dual 280x45mm radiators for the CerberusRex. In those scenario, the DC-LT is not going to work out well.

The acrylic is just for prototype, the final version will most likely be made of POM.

I'm not questioning the pump that goes inside. This part won't be cheap to being with, so putting a cheap pump inside would be stupid. But you should be able to machine the top part with the ports in whatever direction you want them. Personally, for crammed spaces, side-ports make more sense. Unless there is something from the technical side that I'm missing?

And the question about those with unrealistic expectations is... are they potential customers? ;) Because I bet that at least half the people that come with stupid expectations will never buy any of these products to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanook

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
Is the waterblock purely a concept or are you looking to bring this to market? I know you're probably still experimenting at this point so I might be asking too early...

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Is the waterblock purely a concept or are you looking to bring this to market? I know you're probably still experimenting at this point so I might be asking too early...

Depends on 1) my free time, 2) meeting with EK & Alphacool

Reactions: htko89

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
2) meeting with EK & Alphacool

Don't get EK involved buddy, the quality of their products is severely diminshed. More so with their screwed nickel plating process, The amount of blocks I've seen with Galvanic corrosion / failing plating in less than a year of use is nuts.
I had a distilled water loop with a silver kill coil and nothing in there that could react and cause early onset galvanic corrosion. Within 6 months the nickel plating on the CPU block was peeling away. I wouldn't touch anything EK again.

I'd suggest keeping it simple and stick to a POM top and copper base, ofc you will get the RGB brigade that want a nickel plate base and acrylic top. You want these to be durable, I'd keep that in mind ;)

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Don't get EK involved buddy, the quality of their products is severely diminshed. More so with their screwed nickel plating process, The amount of blocks I've seen with Galvanic corrosion / failing plating in less than a year of use is nuts.
I had a distilled water loop with a silver kill coil and nothing in there that could react and cause early onset galvanic corrosion. Within 6 months the nickel plating on the CPU block was peeling away. I wouldn't touch anything EK again.

I'd suggest keeping it simple and stick to a POM top and copper base, ofc you will get the RGB brigade that want a nickel plate base and acrylic top. You want these to be durable, I'd keep that in mind ;)

Not offering acrylic due to QA concerns and people cracking them. POM top and Copper base is the only version that will be available.

Thanks for the heads up about EK.

Reactions: Boil