Free online image storing site

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I realize that I am not able to upload an image directly to my postings here.
So, I am looking for a website for I can upload images, for showing them in my coming build log.

My requirements are simple:- free and easy to use

Recommendations please.

Reactions: BernardoZ

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I like to use imgbb.
If you register, you will have an option called "BB Code full" after uploading an image, which works great for this forum. Here is a post example I did with this method.

You can also use Imgur of course, which I prefer when I want to share too many pictures, so the forum post doesn't get too "crowded" with pics.

I wished there was a website, or a function on this forum where you can adjust the images size that is showed on the post, and also put images side by side (is it possible @confusis ?).
@LukeD did something like this on the past, on Orthrus 1st post, but I had no idea how he did it (it seems to be removed by now anyway).

Would like to hear other people's opinion too, cheers! :)

Reactions: tinyitx

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
There's no inbuilt image sizing/placing on the forum - I figure LukeD did it by using smaller images that fit on the same line as another within certain larger screen resolutions.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oh, imgur has this thing where if you use the true image link, you can add the letter l (lowercase L) before the image extension to use a roughly-1280 width image it already generated (among other sizes up to icon-sized). i usually use that link for bandwidth courtesy

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I like imgur album function, specially their new/cleaner layout.
I just wished it took the whole width of the forum post, like solo images do.
90% of the times I see an imgur album post, I just go to the website version to see the pics clearer XD

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
90% of the times I see an imgur album post, I just go to the website version to see the pics clearer
This is exactly why they do it the way they do, to drive traffic back to their site where you see their adds and maybe sign up for an account with them.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
This is exactly why they do it the way they do, to drive traffic back to their site where you see their adds and maybe sign up for an account with them.
Makes sense, I never realised that hahah XD

Btw, here is what I meant from my last post. From this:

To this:

I hope someone can find or create a better option than imgur, specially aimed at forum posts :)

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
This website seems extremely similar to imgbb, even the layout. I wonder if it's not a "rebranded" version of it.

Anyway, check what I just discovered! (sorry for using my own project pics to demonstrate)

You just need to use "Miniature BBCode" links side by side. I guess that's how Luke did it on the past :D

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx and Kwirek

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I just noticed something interesting.

This forum posts seems to use ~950px wide images, when its full sized. Anything above that gets a Zoom option, and anything below that is displayed at its original resolution.
Since the "Miniature BBCodes" on my last post are 180x180px each, I could display 5 of them side by side.

Also @confusis , you say "there's no inbuilt image sizing/placing on the forum", but there actually is! See an example:

When you quote a full-sized image, the image gets resized automatically, to a determinate smaller px width.

So, maybe with a bit of coding it is possible to add this feature to threads?

For example, you can create the options for 2x2 and 3x3 pic grids. If I'm correct about the 950px post width, the 2x2 grid option would resize the pics to ~420px width, and the 3x3 to ~315px.
The side-by-side placing would be done automatically aparently, as demontrated on my last post.

Anyway, just throwing some ideas XD

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Huh, I'm starting to learn some cool "forum stuff" :D

2x2 grid:

3x3 grid:

Individual pics are enlarged to full resolution (1440p in this case) when clicked.
If there is enough interest, I can make a tutorial about this haha.

EDIT: It seems like this method only works properly on the desktop lol

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
3 choices so far: imgur, imgbb and imagehost (losias).
Need to check them out one by one. The last two look similar in their UI.

How can these sites operate free-of-charge? Do they get money from ads displayed when a member logs in?

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
The last two look similar in their UI.
As I said, their both using Chevereto. If your google fu is up to snuf you can find literally hundreds, if no thousands, of image hosts using the Chevereto platform. The Losias one is run by a forum user though, its been around since forever and I used to be responsible for maintaining it, hence my suggesting it.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
As I said, their both using Chevereto. If your google fu is up to snuf you can find literally hundreds, if no thousands, of image hosts using the Chevereto platform. The Losias one is run by a forum user though, its been around since forever and I used to be responsible for maintaining it, hence my suggesting it.

What's up with this? Can it be fixed?

Reactions: Sashby

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
I just get the image link directly. It's what I do for my posts

Edit; yeah no idea. Wish there was a way to delete my own posts

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
3 choices so far: imgur, imgbb and imagehost (losias).
Need to check them out one by one. The last two look similar in their UI.

How can these sites operate free-of-charge? Do they get money from ads displayed when a member logs in?

No ads on Losias. It's totally out of my own pocket and has been forever (although j0rd paid for the license years back). It's where I host thousands of my own pictures for threads scattered all over various forums. Let's just say I've got a lot of incentive to keep it up and running. :D