Framework, a startup laptop company that launched it’s first product in 2021, announced a plethora of products at it’s Next Level event this morning.  The basic premise behind the company is that it wants to reduce e-waste by making upgradeable laptops so you only replace the parts you need/want.  They also offer a level of customization through their unique USB-C expansion cards and also their standardized components shared across all generations of the laptop.
Starting off the presentation, Framework announced the unsurprising and expected Intel 13th gen Raptor Lake mainboards.  Unfortunately, prices increased by nearly $100 for the DIY version over previous 12th gen systems (and $170 over the 11th gen), but the good news is DDR4 memory is still the standard so those upgrading will only need a new board and nothing else.  If you are only buying the board only (either for upgrades or other projects), prices start at $449 for the i5 1340p and top out at pricy $1,049 for the i7...

Continue reading...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm waiting for a good excuse to buy a Framework device, as I'm not a laptop user, but at this rate I'm probably buying them for colleagues at work with their 2023 news.