Forum Logo/Title

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The current logo is something I cobbled together in a matter of minutes, but I actually wanted to spend some time on a marginally more thoughtful one, since most forums stick with logotype, or use generic symbols without much meaning behind them.

The "infinite box" used now was meant to signify how SFF computers, when well executed, can find space where people wouldn't otherwise expect it to be. But the wireframe looks pretty brittle and plain, so I don't think it will work well. The logo needs to be a bit more full-bodied.

Hence, here's what I've experimented with for a second attempt:

The first one essentially inverts the current logo, with a yellow -> orange color swatch. It's much more abstract, but you still get the fun sense of illusion if you stare at it.

The second one focuses more on how building SSF computers is an exercise in concentration, by (literally) cascading semitransparent tiles towards the bottom right.

Note that I'm not happy with the current font face, I'll likely keep it as a geometric sans serif, but I have to look through what I've got to find a better alternative.

Anyway, thoughts?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Definitely prefer the first, a cube like shape speaks more directly to a computer case.
Like the colors, any particular meaning to the reds and oranges?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No reason for those particular colors. I just like reds and oranges, I suppose :D

I agree with you that #1 is more promising, though. Simple enough to have that stickiness that's desirable in a logo, but still interesting to look at, and loaded with some meaning.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Site looks much better now :cool:
I think you should change the "Sign Up" button to match the logo, the bright green looks out of place now.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Done. Keep the requests coming!

(and FWIW, anyone can make suggestions!)

Last edited:

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I have to say, I like the second logo more, it reminds me of the typical dimensions comparison for resolutions.
Maybe invert the colors and have the white box be the smallest, it puts more emphasis on it.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So, something along the lines of this?

Or maybe rotate it, like this?

I still personally prefer the current logo, but inverting the color scale was a good idea - it makes the cascading tiles look a lot better.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
So, something along the lines of this?

Or maybe rotate it, like this?

I still personally prefer the current logo, but inverting the color scale was a good idea - it makes the cascading tiles look a lot better.
I personally really like the first one because to me it symbolizes how computers/cases are getting smaller and smaller with each generation.
Angled one is really cool as well.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just added a poll to see if the crowd has a preference for the logo, or thinks we should explore new ones entirely. Do vote!

4RTEX

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2015
I would change the font, increase it's size and have it all in one line. That's my preference.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I was browsing fonts and I really like this one:
http://www.1001fonts.com/fff-forward-font.html

I know it's only basic, but reminds me of C64 times.

Like this?

Hm. I see what you're thinking, but I don't know that either is an improvement. Certainly not the undercase variant, at least IMO (though that has a lot to do with the bad kerning - common for free fonts - which I could fix manually)... And the diagonal leg on the 'R' in the uppercase version has the awkward "steps" that a blocky/pixel font always has.

4RTEX

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2015
I like this to be honest. I think this font is the way to go. Let the others speak.

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of fonts with a lot of right angles. I prefer having round, san-serif fonts. I do like having SFF Forum on the same line though.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of fonts with a lot of right angles. I prefer having round, san-serif fonts. I do like having SFF Forum on the same line though.

Since most characters are rounded or curved in some way, almost all squared fonts look a bit awkward since they have to make approximations of those, with harsh angles that tend to look bad across combinations of characters.

I'll experiment with fonts, and putting the title on one line, and post some tonight, to get everyone's feedback.

Reactions: esplin2966

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Alright, I figured that I might as well test out a few things while I'm at it. Apologies upfront that the text alignment and cropping is inconsistent - I'm making these up in transit (and on a tablet, no less).

Also note that my posting of any of these isn't an indication that I like them, so much as a hope to get input from you guys ;) (though a few of my favorite typefaces are indeed mixed in).

[1]

[2]

[3]

[4]

[5]

[6]

Note that #3 is using the existing typeface.