Production NCASE M1EVO

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2022
Watching this project. I have 2 x 240mm rads in my M1. Not sure I'll spring for this if it can't do the same.
Yeah. I don't have an M1 because I discovered it after it was discontinuted, but if I were to do a build in the EVO, I would want 2x240mm radiator support.
Also, will the top plate have a cool looking pattern rather than just circular holes?
Something like the Phanteks Evolv Shift Xt side panel pattern.

Edit: Completely missed ScottSimply's response. So ignore the first part.

Igor_B

Trash Compacter
Jan 9, 2022

2022-08-28: M1EVO is 40XX friendly.​

Most people would agree that 40XX GPUs are big, so we made the necessary changes. As a result, M1EVO should support all of the 4090 GPUs and most 40XX GPUs without a PCIe Riser.

A list of updates:
1. M1EVO production unit has arrived
2. We are still waiting for a few 4090 AIB GPUs to arrive
3. We will test the fit and thermal of the bigger 4090 AIB GPUs
4. We will send the production unit for review
5. Then start IC or preorder on ncases.com
May I ask RTX 4080 and 4090 compatibility list in the reference placement? Please provide it or at least sizes before people will make orders

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
May I ask RTX 4080 and 4090 compatibility list in the reference placement? Please provide it or at least sizes before people will make orders
They're working on getting a proper spec list sorted, but we know the case is the same width as the original M1 (160mm) and the NCase M1 can fit GPUs 140mm wide. We also know it can fit the 4090 FE with a proper 12vhpwr cable (i.e. not Nvidia's adapter), which we know doesn't work in the M1, so it'll be slightly more than the original M1. Other than that we gotta wait for the spec list.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
A few questions about this new version:

Will there be an option for right-side-up orientation with a more normal top panel? This edge-to-edge big hole design is good for cooling 400W GPUs, but aesthetically it looks bad imo, and lets you easily see everything inside the case, which in the default orientation will be an ugly GPU shroud.

If there won't be an option for right side up, will you offer a dust filter for the top? Big holes + GPU on top means lots of dust going inside.

Will the side panel now really just be a big mesh? Will there be an option for a normal side panel? (vented, not a window). I like to use ultrafine filters, adding them to the mesh would restrict airflow too much. And aesthetically it looks worse imo, and is also bad for transportation.

Suggestion - I think the front I/O would look better with the two Type-A ports on one side and the two Type-C ports on the other side. And I definitely think there should be a 3.5mm headphone/mic jack, lots of people still use those. Just get rid of one of the USB ports, 4 is overkill imo.

Do we know the dimensions of the case? I'm a little confused because from the pictures it looks like the only dimension where it's larger than the M1 is the length. And yet it fits a mATX board and a rear-mounted ATX PSU, how is that possible?

Will the case be aluminum? Not just the panels but the frame as well?

It's so much longer than the M1, is it really worth increasing the length this much to accommodate the 1-2% of people who will want to buy a GPU that's longer than would fit in the M1 V6?

Finally, I'm not sure about the name. Doesn't Evo usually mean a budget option? It stands for evolution, but it's usually used to mean lower-end model from what I've seen e.g. Samsung EVO series of SSDs and the LG EVO line of OLED TVs. This case is very different from the M1, so I would call it something different. Honestly, no offense, but I think if you just restarted the M1 V6 it would sell better than this case. Otherwise, I see the C4-SFX partially filling the niche that the M1 occupied, more so than this M1 EVO. The latter compromises too much for the sake of effectively cooling $1200+ 350W+ GPUs that almost no SFF enthusiast will buy, in my opinion. Even with the 40 series, cards under $1200 will use no more power than a 1080 Ti.

The M1 was already great at cooling power hungry GPUs, even 320W was no problem. It had this killer feature where you could deshroud a GPU and then use your bottom 120mm fans (possibly with 10-15mm ducts that can be found online) to directly cool your GPU heatsink. That was an elegant and effective solution that also solved GPU sag, lowered noise, and managed dust discreetly. Here that's not an option, and it doesn't seem like you can even mount fans to the top unless you screw them directly to the top panel vents.

Sorry, I rewrote this post 3 times to make it less ranty and still failed. I am just upset at the state of SFF these days. I am holding onto my M1 V5.1 for dear life, I consider it to be the best-designed case ever and the peak of M1 development. I already had issues with the V6, this iteration takes the design even further into mesh box territory, the next version will probably not even have panels.

Reactions: rindo

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
GPU makers keep making the cards bigger and bigger so for a case that's aiming to have high cooling performance, you have to increase the size and the ventilation has to be adequate. The top end ones are all getting this massive 4-slot design which just won't fit without adding depth. I don't think your case should require desrhouding to work. Should just be optional.

When the M1 first came out, IIRC the top cards like a 980Ti would use a lot less power and were just more compact. If the M1 v5 suits your needs, why make the upgrade anyway?

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
A few questions about this new version:

Will there be an option for right-side-up orientation with a more normal top panel? This edge-to-edge big hole design is good for cooling 400W GPUs, but aesthetically it looks bad imo, and lets you easily see everything inside the case, which in the default orientation will be an ugly GPU shroud.

If there won't be an option for right side up, will you offer a dust filter for the top? Big holes + GPU on top means lots of dust going inside.

Will the side panel now really just be a big mesh? Will there be an option for a normal side panel? (vented, not a window). I like to use ultrafine filters, adding them to the mesh would restrict airflow too much. And aesthetically it looks worse imo, and is also bad for transportation.

Suggestion - I think the front I/O would look better with the two Type-A ports on one side and the two Type-C ports on the other side. And I definitely think there should be a 3.5mm headphone/mic jack, lots of people still use those. Just get rid of one of the USB ports, 4 is overkill imo.

Do we know the dimensions of the case? I'm a little confused because from the pictures it looks like the only dimension where it's larger than the M1 is the length. And yet it fits a mATX board and a rear-mounted ATX PSU, how is that possible?

Will the case be aluminum? Not just the panels but the frame as well?

It's so much longer than the M1, is it really worth increasing the length this much to accommodate the 1-2% of people who will want to buy a GPU that's longer than would fit in the M1 V6?

Finally, I'm not sure about the name. Doesn't Evo usually mean a budget option? It stands for evolution, but it's usually used to mean lower-end model from what I've seen e.g. Samsung EVO series of SSDs and the LG EVO line of OLED TVs. This case is very different from the M1, so I would call it something different. Honestly, no offense, but I think if you just restarted the M1 V6 it would sell better than this case. Otherwise, I see the C4-SFX partially filling the niche that the M1 occupied, more so than this M1 EVO. The latter compromises too much for the sake of effectively cooling $1200+ 350W+ GPUs that almost no SFF enthusiast will buy, in my opinion. Even with the 40 series, cards under $1200 will use no more power than a 1080 Ti.

The M1 was already great at cooling power hungry GPUs, even 320W was no problem. It had this killer feature where you could deshroud a GPU and then use your bottom 120mm fans (possibly with 10-15mm ducts that can be found online) to directly cool your GPU heatsink. That was an elegant and effective solution that also solved GPU sag, lowered noise, and managed dust discreetly. Here that's not an option, and it doesn't seem like you can even mount fans to the top unless you screw them directly to the top panel vents.

Sorry, I rewrote this post 3 times to make it less ranty and still failed. I am just upset at the state of SFF these days. I am holding onto my M1 V5.1 for dear life, I consider it to be the best-designed case ever and the peak of M1 development. I already had issues with the V6, this iteration takes the design even further into mesh box territory, the next version will probably not even have panels.
Sorry that I'm ignoring most of your points here, but the case will be mostly CNC aluminium.
It is using the same manufacturing partners as the FormD T1 V2, so you can expect some good quality there. On the SFF Gurus Discord W360 answered what is what:
"The Side Mesh Panels, Motherboard Tray, Fan & PSU Brackets, are steel, others Aluminum.".

We don't know the exact dimensions yet.

In terms of what SFF enthusiasts buy, when you look on the SFF Gurus Discord, and r/sffpc (and their Discord), you see a lot of builds with new and modern parts. It's a result of SFF being such a niche. The vast majority of people into SFF are also tech enthusiasts, tech enthusiasts are more likely to spend money on new and fancy parts, especially the ones that are looking to buy boutique SFF cases. Now of course these places suffer from a severe sample selection bias, but generally the trend for PC parts is bigger and more power hungry, it is hard to ignore unfortunately, and they do need their products to remain competitive in the current market.

Famaku

Cable Smoosher
Sep 23, 2020
At an estimated width of 160mm, I assume it may not be possible to fit 25mm thick fans and a ~30mm rad (e.g. XSPC EX280) on the side when using the rather tall Barrow pump block with the inbuilt reservoir?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

2022-11-27: Testing configs before we finalize the spec.​

We know someone will try this (*dual 280 HWL 280GTS on 3-Slot MSI Suprim X GPU), so we wanted to test it first.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019

2022-11-27: Testing configs before we finalize the spec.​

We know someone will try this (*dual 280 HWL 280GTS on 3-Slot MSI Suprim X GPU), so we wanted to test it first.

Is it possible to do 2x280 with standard 25mm fans, or are we restricted to thin (10-15mm) ones? With the collapse of the W1 project this is on my radar as the 'next' SFF case I could cram 2x280 into.

Reactions: ncook06

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2022
Is it possible to do 2x280 with standard 25mm fans, or are we restricted to thin (10-15mm) ones? With the collapse of the W1 project this is on my radar as the 'next' SFF case I could cram 2x280 into.
What's the story with the W1? I stopped following it after finding this EVO thread.

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
What's the story with the W1? I stopped following it after finding this EVO thread.
From what I've heard Winter One Batch 2 is not being shipped, with (partial?) refunds only for people that ordered via the website, not those that ordered via Kickstarter. Not enough money to make it happen, and some has already been spent so they can't refund everyone.

Should probably move that discussion over to the Winter One thread though:

The latest post there is:

For anyone wondering, the production has been cancelled and the company is shutting down, with the most probable course of action probably being only a partial refund. Discussion is handled in the company discord. The update can be found here: https://www.winterdesign.co/post/november-2022-update

Reactions: ncook06

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2022
From what I've heard Winter One Batch 2 is not being shipped, with (partial?) refunds only for people that ordered via the website, not those that ordered via Kickstarter. Not enough money to make it happen, and some has already been spent so they can't refund everyone.

Should probably move that discussion over to the Winter One thread though:

The latest post there is:
Wow. That is pretty bad.

Well lets keep this thread on the EVO.

Mr_Pengin

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2022
Also, how will the GPU connect without a riser cable? Especially if it goes vertically like in the concept.

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
Also, how will the GPU connect without a riser cable? Especially if it goes vertically like in the concept.
For vertical mount a riser will be needed, not for the traditional GPU mount though. Guessing it'll be an accessory for those that want to vertical mount.

ncook06

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2017
Filled out the interest check (black, round). I'll be in pending the feasibility of dual 280mm rads with 25mm fans.

I have been running dual 240 rads in an M1 for about 5 years, starting with v5 and now in a v6.1. Just wish it had more effective rad space. It's basically just a semi-choked 240x30mm rad, aided by a mostly-choked 240x20mm rad with 15mm fans.

I ordered a Winter One to get dual 280mm rads with healthy airflow. That's around double the cooling capability of my M1, or it would be if the case existed 😔 Hoping the M1 Evo has a very nice custom loop options.

alfdpw

Chassis Packer
Oct 19, 2022
My two cents on regarding the design.
Will there be an option with side or top placed IO panel, like in the teasers?

2022-10-23: Testing an air-cooled build with 30XX GPU + 4090FE.​

We have not received the 4090 GPUs yet, so test-fitting Thermalright SS135 on Noctua A12x25R + MSI 3070 Suprim X + ATX PSU. FWIW, Micro-ATX motherboards will fit, and there is space for 25mm thick fans between the Top Panel and GPU.[/URL]

4090 FE *could fit via direct contact with minor tweaks to the design and a custom 12P GPU cable. But, of course, this will also depend on the back of the motherboard.
Please! Please, change the perforated pattern of the top panel. This "grid/straight" pattern for the holes is god awful 🤢. The original "diagonal/angled" pattern was much more pleasant on the eye.

lucinski

Cable Smoosher
Apr 14, 2020
Ok, so apparently DanCase C4 is nearing release as Dan has finalized his case and will soon send it to production.

I am mentioning this because of C4 SFX's volume increase to 14.7 liters, which I believe will make it very similar to M1 Evo. This would mean that the M1 Evo, which will come later to the market than the C4 SFX, will need some very clear differentiating factors to set itself apart.

So far, M1 Evo's extra features are mATX boards and ATX PSU's compatibility and mesh panels. Will they be enough to make itself a unique product though?

I do not know whether mesh panels are better than those with holes, so mATX boards are the biggest bonus I think. But if mATX is used, then the PSU (whether sfx or atx) would need some breathing room since, as it is positioned now, it would take air from inside the case, which will be hot because side fans are no longer an option and the front panel is unvented. A mesh front panel should solve the issue I reckon, thus making it truly a complete case, in addition to also giving it a more distinctive look.

What do you guys think?